Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Ok, you asked for it:

http://www.amtrak.co...074_FY09_Riders

Amtrak's Acela Express Service is in fact one of several aspects of Amtrak which are profitable, and I've backed up with evidence.

The Acela Express earned $409,251,483 from ticket sales last fiscal year.

Thanks! That's a nice piece of information to have.

If only more people rode the train, the state wouldn't have to subsidize it so heavily.

http://insidebiz.com...wraps-freemason

Businesses and residents in Norfolk's Freemason Historic District got some good news last week - major light rail construction that caused confusion and detours is complete

The Light Rail stations will be complete this summer. HRT officials say the Light Rail project itself is on track and will be ready to ride in May of next year.

http://www.rtands.co...his-summer.html

Edited by varider

I still can't believe that Norfolk is 80% done building it's first light rail line.. It's going to be a major improvement in our transit system..

Right now it woud take 44 minutes to get from ODU to Downtown Norfolk via bus . It'd be closer to 25 minutes, this time next year via rail/bus.

Right now it would take 19 minutes to get from NSU to Downtown Norfolk via bus. It'd be closer to 10 minutes via rail.

Coming from Town Center.. it'd take 1 hour 15 minutes via bus.. It'd be closer to 40 minutes via rail/ bus.

I still can't believe that Norfolk is 80% done building it's first light rail line.. It's going to be a major improvement in our transit system..

Right now it woud take 44 minutes to get from ODU to Downtown Norfolk via bus . It'd be closer to 25 minutes, this time next year via rail/bus.

Dude, how do you go to downtown, via Town Center? It's 20 minutes from ODU to downtown, tops. Take bus 2 to the opera house, then hop on the NET down Granby Street. Sometime, there is a delay going down Hampton Blvd. during evening rush hour, and the Tide won't help that.

FWIW, next year will be a big improvement in my commute. I'll be able to get off bus 2 at the hospital station, then ride the Tide to the back door of TCC. Very convenient.

Dude, how do you go to downtown, via Town Center? It's 20 minutes from ODU to downtown, tops. Take bus 2 to the opera house, then hop on the NET down Granby Street. Sometime, there is a delay going down Hampton Blvd. during evening rush hour, and the Tide won't help that.

FWIW, next year will be a big improvement in my commute. I'll be able to get off bus 2 at the hospital station, then ride the Tide to the back door of TCC. Very convenient.

I just typed it into Google Transit, and it was 44 minutes. It took the 2 to Cedar Grove and transferred to the 310. Also, DT traffic during rush hour is so bad that it's easier to walk then drive, sometimes.. && light rail won't have to deal with traffic.

Edited by varider

You guys are gonna love it when they start to test the tracks with the trains because I am guessing it will be a big event. Though when they are just doing their standard tests, it is always a bit of a surprise to see trains running down streets there use to not be trains on.

Oh, it will be a big event because the Pilot will have it in the headlines. But expect to see either of the following adjectives used to describe the system: "maligned" or "controversial." Any other suggestions for what the term will be?

Edited by Sky06

You guys are gonna love it when they start to test the tracks with the trains because I am guessing it will be a big event. Though when they are just doing their standard tests, it is always a bit of a surprise to see trains running down streets there use to not be trains on.

It will take some getting used to, and some education. Just this week, next to the mall, i saw people driving on the tracks instead of the other lane.

Light Rail is a great addition to the city of Norfolk and the metro. Most places with Light Rail or train type transit are major metros. Hopefully like most cities this is a plan for the future growth of the city and a need Norfolk and the metro knew was needed for whats to come growth wise. Exciting times to be in Norfolk!!!!shades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

The only reason downtown traffic is really bad is because of the tunnel going to Portsmouth. That's the backup, it has been, and the train won't fix it.

It takes what, 15 minutes to go from downtown to Town Center via car.

ODU to downtown is what, 7 minutes? Depending on lights on Hampton Blvd?

The train isn't addressing the issues that impact everyone.

The only reason downtown traffic is really bad is because of the tunnel going to Portsmouth. That's the backup, it has been, and the train won't fix it.

These times may be a little low, but I don't know how you drive.

Doesn't everyone pretty much accept that this system won't really make a big dent in the traffic problem in HR, but rather serves as a starter line? I personally don't think that it will reach even minimal ridership goals, but if it is expanded it will be very popular. I don't think that the extension to the beach will make that much of a difference until it goes to naval bases and the airport.

Edited by oduengineer

Everytime there is some event in downtown (like Afraam or Tides game) the traffic backs up. it usually takes me 15 minutes to get to downtown or town center due to lights and/or traffic, and I live midway between the two. The biggest issue is that we waste so much time on cars, heck 3/4 of the area used for development is for parking. Does that sound sustainable?

Light rail construction crews, who are working toward a mid-July completion deadline downtown, must rebuild an intersection after flooding caused the underpinnings to settle. The at-grade crossing at Brambleton Avenue and Second Street in the Fort Norfolk area will be torn out for two weeks starting Tuesday, Hampton Roads Transit spokesman Tom Holden said. The work will not affect Brambleton traffic, but will detour Second Street traffic.

Water seeped into the foundation soil under the light rail tracks, resulting in settling of the tracks at the intersection. The rails will be removed, the base excavated and replaced with a different material that will hold up better in wet conditions, Holden said.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/05/brambleton-intersection-fort-norfolk-area-be-rebuilt?cid=ltst

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/05/lightrail-work-wrapping-soon-and-businesses-cant-wait

The dust is clearing, the noise is quieting down, and the streets are reopening, which means business owners and residents are celebrating.

Light-rail track construction downtown is wrapping up after nearly two years. It was supposed to be done a year ago.

For many, it was a challenging time. Intersections were closed for weeks and months. Jackhammers pounded late into the night. Some shop and restaurant owners say they suffered as much as a 70 percent drop in sales.

"I know there's been a lot of disruptions, and I know how miserable that is," Hampton Roads Transit CEO Philip Shucet told Freemason-area residents and businesses at a recent celebration. "It's great to get out of your way and out of your hair."

Track installation, the most disruptive piece of light-rail construction, will be finished soon. Two intersections reopened last week and another the week before.

The contractor has a July 17 deadline, but the downtown work is essentially complete, save for some punch-list items typical of large construction projects.

"This is absolutely the end of significant construction, but there's going to be issues that require fixing and issues that require what may look like significant construction," said James Toscano, an HRT spokesman.

Crews still need to install overhead electric wires and build passenger stations, which HRT officials said will have less of an impact on downtowners. When that's finished, vehicles will be tested and drivers trained in preparation for The Tide's scheduled opening next May.

Cathy Coleman, president of the Downtown Norfolk Council, said downtowners experienced a "perfect storm of a challenged economy and a challenged physical environment."

Even so, she said, while three businesses closed, another 17 opened.

"No question the downtown community has been tremendously understanding and resilient," Coleman said.

Downtown Norfolk has done great with all the construction and street closings, etc. Between now and the time LRT opens.. I bet a lot of more businesses will open.

These are just random youtube videos on the Norfolk LRT ... I found them humorous.. and it kind of got me excited for the opening of light rail.... Even though the project is delayed and over budget.. it's great seeing the stations finally built and construction wrapping up. Norfolk will enter a new era in 2011. EXTEND THE TIDE !

I am still amazed at how they kicked it in gear to finish this project after the new guy got on board.

They were milking the city prior to now.

Yeah in 3 months its been like night and day! Maybe if you guys had the new guy on board earlier it would have finished ahead of schedule and trains would have been cruising around Norfolk!thumbsup.gif

It will take some getting used to, and some education. Just this week, next to the mall, i saw people driving on the tracks instead of the other lane.

yeah... some people seem to think that the tracks are new parking or turning lanes... some just wont drive on the blacktop near the curb and instead take the tracks all the way down monticello.

has anyone else been down plume st and seen the way traffic will interact with the tracks? there is a stretch with no intersection and a traffic light because the tracks cut the corner.

I'm happy about this,

Who thinks this will create a huge TOD at Harbor Park?

I am trying to picture how the new line will get to Harbor Park. 460 runs through Suffolk, and must go through Chesapeake, I guess. Might this be a way to transport people from those areas to the LRT which hopefully will go to our bases? Or maybe LRT can install a track adjacent to the Amtrak line at the same time. There are some great possibilities here. If VB can at least get to Town Center (only 2 or 3 miles), it will make a big difference.

I really hope that Harbor Park develops to include TOD. It is a decent site and could help to spur the extension of downtown beyond St. Pauls. I see this as major progress for this area.

I am trying to picture how the new line will get to Harbor Park. 460 runs through Suffolk, and must go through Chesapeake, I guess. Might this be a way to transport people from those areas to the LRT which hopefully will go to our bases? Or maybe LRT can install a track adjacent to the Amtrak line at the same time. There are some great possibilities here. If VB can at least get to Town Center (only 2 or 3 miles), it will make a big difference.

I really hope that Harbor Park develops to include TOD. It is a decent site and could help to spur the extension of downtown beyond St. Pauls. I see this as major progress for this area.

Amtrak will go over the existing railroad bridge adjacent to Harbor Park.