Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

oh yeah, Glassgow......If I recall correctly, those were the designs for the stations well before the budget was blown. Nice try homie but that 40% info is new. Those designs were the "goal."

That is what happens when you have a city that tries to make everything look like it fits in with some absurd design pattern of a city that use to exist. LRT stations should be where a city experiments with architecture and durability of a station rather than trying to make them look like ol'timey huts. When it comes to LRT stations, Vancouver BC has some bad-ass stations that should be admired, studied, and followed as examples of what to do.

I agree with that urbanlife. I believe a lot of the leaders in this city have been attempting, lately, to achieve some sort of rebirth of the "ole days". It's a trend. Ironically, a lot of the newer designs are disliked by most elders I speak with. They don't want to see Norfolk how it used to be. They want to see it better! Like most trends, this will fade out, hopefully. But I do believe we should make more of a point of voicing it to the powers at hand.

"Who's with me?!"

That is what happens when you have a city that tries to make everything look like it fits in with some absurd design pattern of a city that use to exist. LRT stations should be where a city experiments with architecture and durability of a station rather than trying to make them look like ol'timey huts. When it comes to LRT stations, Vancouver BC has some bad-ass stations that should be admired, studied, and followed as examples of what to do.

Historical throwback architecture and contextualism can be fantastic when done correctly. Unfortunately, in Norfolk, it is NEVER done correctly. Cheap materials completely ruin any attempt at this. Look at Harbor Heights. The base is well done and elegant with real brick and stone, yet the top looks awful with all pre-cast materials.

I do agree that with the materials popularly used today on most buildings, a more modern design is better. However, if real brick and limestone were used on a facade, no matter what height or shape, 9 times out of 10 it will look better than any modern design. Contextualism is only as good as the materials used.

I do agree that with the materials popularly used today on most buildings, a more modern design is better. However, if real brick and limestone were used on a facade, no matter what height or shape, 9 times out of 10 it will look better than any modern design. Contextualism is only as good as the materials used.

I am not trying to sound mean with this, I just wanted to point out the error in this statement. Brick and limestone are materials and modern design is a contextual statement, which are two different things. Modern architecture can still use brick and limestone. I pointed out the Vancouver BC stations because they are modern designed, but have to reflect Vancouver's history through the use of materials.

Vancouver Brentwood Station

Here is a station that reflects a common wood that is used within the city. Then with the structure, you have the steel curving up from the ground then changing to wood while still continuing the curve. Then on top of that, both sides are counter weighted to hold up both sides.

3060606866_d0a0047505_z.jpg?zz=1

photo by _photographer

Here is an action shot of another one of their stations that also uses materials that are local and still expresses the beauty of engineering and pushing the limits of what these materials can do.

Brick and limestone are just materials, it is how it is used that truly defines it.

I am not trying to sound mean with this, I just wanted to point out the error in this statement. Brick and limestone are materials and modern design is a contextual statement, which are two different things. Modern architecture can still use brick and limestone. I pointed out the Vancouver BC stations because they are modern designed, but have to reflect Vancouver's history through the use of materials.

Here is a station that reflects a common wood that is used within the city. Then with the structure, you have the steel curving up from the ground then changing to wood while still continuing the curve. Then on top of that, both sides are counter weighted to hold up both sides.

photo by _photographer

Here is an action shot of another one of their stations that also uses materials that are local and still expresses the beauty of engineering and pushing the limits of what these materials can do.

Brick and limestone are just materials, it is how it is used that truly defines it.

I was kind of thinking/hoping we would have at least ONE station built to a similar stature. Maybe at Harbor park or Monticello, but in this case, all of them are the same. They do not offer any type of protection from the weather which is going to make ridership hard in the cold months....

photo by _photographer

Ha. Yes, you are correct, materials and design are two different things. My only point is that for contextualism or any form of real historic architecture to be successful, only the finest materials could give it a true sense of authenticity. The reason I think some on these boards are against contextual buildings and pro more modern design is because the "contextual" building in Norfolk is made with materials not suited for a contextual design. Conversely, with the materials of choice today such as pre-cast stone or concrete, a modern design will look better.

Yes, modern buildings can use brick, limestone, etc. However, a truly contextual building cannot look good without these kinds of materials IMO while a "modern" building can make do with lesser materials.

Don't know if y'all have seen this yet, but I stumbled upon this while on norfolk.gov. It's just an informational meeting but I think it will be helpful in seeing where the state is now at trying to get higher-speed rail to the region.

http://www.norfolkgrowsbusiness.org/index.php?option=com_acymailing&ctrl=archive&task=view&mailid=33&key=9d148e633e72284ce0718b269684359b%E2%8A%82=3-d558dd6af681a4bfb744c43c96f60d9c&Itemid=54

Don't know if y'all have seen this yet, but I stumbled upon this while on norfolk.gov. It's just an informational meeting but I think it will be helpful in seeing where the state is now at trying to get higher-speed rail to the region.

http://www.norfolkgrowsbusiness.org/index.php?option=com_acymailing&ctrl=archive&task=view&mailid=33&key=9d148e633e72284ce0718b269684359b%E2%8A%82=3-d558dd6af681a4bfb744c43c96f60d9c&Itemid=54

anyone going? i wish i could attend but unable to.

Esther Pippins stepped off light-rail train No. 406 after a test run Wednesday night with a broad smile and declared it "a smooth ride." "It's a great running light-rail vehicle," said Pippins, who managed and operated light rail in Los Angeles for 26 years and now heads up training for Hampton Roads Transit.

This week, she and several other light-rail operations managers started testing Norfolk's trains along a 3/4-mile section of track between Brambleton Avenue and Ballentine Boulevard behind Norfolk State University.

536011000.jpg

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/10/lightrail-trains-roll-norfolk-test#rfq

was riding down rosemont leaving hybrid training center and seen a sign about a person running for city council. They were running on no light rail.....no means no. If Vabeach doesn't get in on this the light rail in Norfolk will fail.....it is critical for the connection between cities to make this successful. I usually don't like public money being spent but I really think to make this area attractive to bring in jobs this overall project must be successful!

was riding down rosemont leaving hybrid training center and seen a sign about a person running for city council. They were running on no light rail.....no means no. If Vabeach doesn't get in on this the light rail in Norfolk will fail.....it is critical for the connection between cities to make this successful. I usually don't like public money being spent but I really think to make this area attractive to bring in jobs this overall project must be successful!

Proof that any idiot will run for city council....

No MEANS No? That was 10 YEARS ago!!!!!!

LOL

Proof that any idiot will run for city council....

No MEANS No? That was 10 YEARS ago!!!!!!

LOL

Pretty much. It's one thing for the residents to say that, but any politician who truly wants to see their city and the region progress will realize that a campaign like that is cutting off your noise to spite your face.

That being said, he or she will probably get voted into office since 80% of VB residents think light rail is the devil.

That being said, he or she will probably get voted into office since 80% of VB residents think light rail is the devil.

I disagree. I think that a majority of VB supports light rail. Unfortunately, they are not the vocal crowd. Most that I have talked to have supported it. Most that I talked to that did not support it reconsidered when I explained how their myths were wrong.

Actually, he pretty much got his "you know what" handed to him tonight, getting a paltry 11%. What these folks fail to realize is that Va. Beach has significantly urbanized over the past 10 years, and that even folks that were initially against light rail are now for it. All incumbents were returned to office with all of them being pro-light rail to varying degrees. Even Desteph, though he still insists on having a referendum. <_<

Looks like the multimodal station is getting scaled back. :(

Norfolk Rail station will be scaled down

"What this essentially means is that we will begin with a smaller passenger rail station house of 2,400 square feet, which will contain a ticketing desk, small waiting room and baggage room as well as bathroom facilities," Woolard said.

A new regional/feeder bus transfer facility remains a part of the plan, which means the facility can still accurately be referred to as a multimodal facility, one that handles passenger rail, regional bus and light rail, for example.

The facility will still be designed with a covered walkway to the light rail station, Woolard said. However, now it will likely be a canopy instead of an enclosed pavilion.

"The city will not develop retail space as part of the first phase, which would have been part of a larger station, Woolard said.

Actually, he pretty much got his "you know what" handed to him tonight, getting a paltry 11%. What these folks fail to realize is that Va. Beach has significantly urbanized over the past 10 years, and that even folks that were initially against light rail are now for it. All incumbents were returned to office with all of them being pro-light rail to varying degrees. Even Desteph, though he still insists on having a referendum. <_<

That's great to hear then! I was driving through VB the other day, saw the guy's sign (Wally Erb) and shuddered at the idea. Good to see most residents seeing the light there.

What these folks fail to realize is that Va. Beach has significantly urbanized over the past 10 years, and that even folks that were initially against light rail are now for it. 

thats why I wish Belito would get replaced. In her commercials, she appeared to just want to re-ruralize the beach.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New article about the Tide:

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/odu-survey-says-residents-favor-light-rail-expansion

As probably discussed before, it is stupid NOT to extend the Tide from EVMS to the Naval Base with a major stop at ODU. Imagine how much use students would use the Tide going to Granby Street and downtown!