Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

last october, when I visited Portland, OR, I noticed that their transit stops were clean and almost new looking. The reason? There were signs on everything that said it was a felony to deface transit property or to harass or assault transit employees. Thats what we need here. We need that here. It should be posted everywhere. We could get some wireless cameras to move around between the most vandalized areas and see if we cant catch some people.

I'm usually with you on a lot of topics but can't co sign the "felony" thing for defacing transit property, and harassing transit employees. I can understand the assault part being a felony but seriously, vandalism and harassment are crimes that I don't feel should follow you for the rest of your life! I can't count how many people would be locked up in NYC alone if harassing the bus driver was a felony offense!

Other than that, I think it's safe to say that vandalism in Norfolk is relatively low when compared to other metros comparable in size and it's not because of Norfolk's great graffiti task force or anything! It just seems people aren't really interested in destroying things in the 7 cities. Call it good parenting or something but it just doesn't seem to happen. I'm more concerned with Norfolk it's self not maintaining stops and allowing them to go to crap because of natural decay.

Was downtown Norfolk last night for the 1st time in a while. WOW, the light rail has changed the whole character of Norfolk, TOTALLY!!!!! Also, along with the Wachovia Center project Im amazed at Norfolk's progress thus far. One can only imagine how light rail from a transportation perspective will effect future growth and the most important thing, perception of Norfolk as a city!!!! I'm very impressed by how the city has changed that quick from light rail. Its almost hard to remember how Norfolk looked previous to light rail and Im so impressed with Wachovia Centers progress along with light rail. WOW!!! LGNMshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

• 2 weeks later...

last october, when I visited Portland, OR, I noticed that their transit stops were clean and almost new looking. The reason? There were signs on everything that said it was a felony to deface transit property or to harass or assault transit employees. Thats what we need here. We need that here. It should be posted everywhere. We could get some wireless cameras to move around between the most vandalized areas and see if we cant catch some people.

Been to Portland a lot. Don't know if I agree with the statement that the stops are clean or new looking. Unless you were on one of the lines that is almost new (yellow or green). Most of the older stops are pretty minimal and Portland is not really a police state type place. I think it has more to do with people respecting the idea of transit (and surroundings in general) than would ever be possible here.

I do hope that the transit police are strict though. Compare the DC Metro with the Baltimore Metro and you will see what lax security turns a transit system into. DC's Metro does feel like it is falling apart but that is because of the escalators.

Well, I post there a lot! (Ethan is my name on there.) At the end of the day, the project is riddled with fraud. People stole lots of taxpayer money with the project. They personally took YOUR money and put it in THEIR pocket, and didn't work to earn it. That actually does make some people mad.

Currently, the way things are headed, America is going to fail. Yes, fail.

You can pretend that the gov't wasting tons of people's personal money is going to somehow make the area bigger. Having 2 million people with 1,500,000 of them under the poverty line isn't really going to help.

I'm against light rail. I think it's stupid. I think it's a total, absolute, waste of money. No technical advances came from it. It's redeployment of something that existed before and was torn out. I was all for maglev research and development. That system is forward looking. It is innovation. It leaves something for future generations to be proud of. It could have spawned new industry in Hampton Roads. It could have shown the world that America still invents stuff other than things to kill people with.

There's a Federal investigation underway. I expect to see at least 3-4 people (including Michael Townes) indicted before this is over.

Maglev? The only ones who build viable systems are the Germans, and they're absurdly expensive.

You want the best case for LRT? Get the 2030 congestion map from the TPO. Within a generation our entire regional interstate network will be at Grades E or F congestion at rush hour. The only way to commute quickly will be to take the train. That's why we need to be building now, to have a regional system in place by then.

• 4 weeks later...

Norfolk is planning on redeveloping the areas around the Tide stations to include tall condos, retail, and offices by the year 2020:

Story:

NORFOLK -- City planners have a vision of tall condos, offices and retail space sprouting near light rail stations by 2020.

City Council is set to approve a raft of zoning changes around light rail stations to fertilize the anticipated development booms along The Tide.

"What we're trying to do right now is be prepared for when that development interest does occur," Norfolk Planning Director Frank Duke said. "Every other place in the country with light rail has seen developer interest. We anticipate that same interest in Norfolk."

Duke proposes creating transit-oriented development areas within a half-mile radius of stations outside downtown, with the exception of the Ingleside Road station which is nestled in a residential area.

The transit-oriented areas would be zoned for mixed-use development, a hybrid of commercial and retail space with an emphasis on biking and walking and a de-emphasis on cars.

Doors to businesses would face train stations.

The heaviest development would be within a quarter mile from the train station, tapering off into existing neighborhoods.

Nearby civic league presidents seem to support the new transportation districts, so long as the city preserves neighborhood character.

"If you can improve something, let's go for it," said Ford Mason, president of the Newtown South Civic League.

Link:

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/Norfolks-sees-green-at-light-rail-stations-118868489.html

I had a opportunity to take a look at the track and foundation work on LRT yesterday before I went to lunch at baxter's yesterday. I saw it before but kind of blew it up, but I will say today, they have done some shotty foundation work. The foundation is crumbling, uneven, and in terrible condition for this not to have used yet. Not matter where I look, its crumbling. For all the money they put into this, I expected it to be better work. Its starting to separate all ready.

Overall, really crappy work..

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/hrt-indefinitely-halts-study-light-rail-virginia-beach

I never care what is going on va.beach, but today I decided to see what is going on over there and this is what I read.

Not a good thing, and I hate to admit a lot of the comments are correct. I never cared for LRT to reach the beach, too much sprawl that would only support the youth in their travels, however, I still believe it should hit the town center if anything.

I guess Norfolk and HRT need to put a few things into perspective now in terms of the future, va.beach looks like a no go.

I personally believe NSU will be more than 50% of the ridership. All students want to go to DT for jobs, shopping, or just to be social, so I see a constant use from nsu. The problem is, LRT real ridership numbers probably would have doubled if connected to odu and no telling to NOB.

So the question now is, how do they move forward now? Not many prospects unless you run it through the city center to the airport which I believe there is a ROW there as well. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to go check out the trains this morning downtown at the Macarthur Square station..The people were very nice & informative.. the trains were beautiful & clean...the landscaping around the station is coming along very nicely and overall the trip made me very excited to ride it whenever it opens..

Norfolk and the ENTIRE Hampton Roads area have to work TOGETHER to continue building up our mass transit system. Norfolk cannot sit around and wait for Virginia Beach to continue to waver on the idea of mass transit. I highly doubt that the starter line will exceed or even meet it's ridership projections.. but the line really does not go anywhere.. it shouldn't be expected to carry thousands of passengers a day. What's there to do at Newtown Rd? NOTHING. What's there to do at Ingleside? NOTHING. If the Tide was expanded to areas that actually matter like the airport, ODU with its 20k + students & highly attended sports venues, the Naval Base and it's 100k+ employees, Town Center, Greenbrier, etc. ridership would skyrocket. Transit Oriented Development would be sure to follow and the HR area would evolve into a series of urban developments with high rise apartments & offices.

I know this would be very expensive, but if we want the area that many of us on here love.. it needs to happen.

I went to go check out the trains this morning downtown at the Macarthur Square station..The people were very nice & informative.. the trains were beautiful & clean...the landscaping around the station is coming along very nicely and overall the trip made me very excited to ride it whenever it opens..

Norfolk and the ENTIRE Hampton Roads area have to work TOGETHER to continue building up our mass transit system. Norfolk cannot sit around and wait for Virginia Beach to continue to waver on the idea of mass transit. I highly doubt that the starter line will exceed or even meet it's ridership projections.. but the line really does not go anywhere.. it shouldn't be expected to carry thousands of passengers a day. What's there to do at Newtown Rd? NOTHING. What's there to do at Ingleside? NOTHING. If the Tide was expanded to areas that actually matter like the airport, ODU with its 20k + students & highly attended sports venues, the Naval Base and it's 100k+ employees, Town Center, Greenbrier, etc. ridership would skyrocket. Transit Oriented Development would be sure to follow and the HR area would evolve into a series of urban developments with high rise apartments & offices.

I know this would be very expensive, but if we want the area that many of us on here love.. it needs to happen.

I totally agree

at least they made the first step but i'm with you, forget vb. As soon as they figure out what they want to be, they will see how that can benefit them. They are just cocky now of days because they were able to come into their own with TC and that's good enough for them. ODU is a must and the base is a must, I would just on that immediately......NSU is big, freshmen year after year will ride the the train downtown, I can only imagine the rideship if ODU jump on. Its plenty of jobs DT for students to do....and entertainment on weekends.

I totally agree

at least they made the first step but i'm with you, forget vb. As soon as they figure out what they want to be, they will see how that can benefit them. They are just cocky now of days because they were able to come into their own with TC and that's good enough for them. ODU is a must and the base is a must, I would just on that immediately......NSU is big, freshmen year after year will ride the the train downtown, I can only imagine the rideship if ODU jump on. Its plenty of jobs DT for students to do....and entertainment on weekends.

I am really excited for Hampton Roads. Unfortunately, it's biggest strength (multiple town centers and destinations) is it's biggest weakness. Especially, on the southside. In order for the Tide to work, Chesapeake, VB, Norfolk and Portsmouth needs to be on board. The success of this system is in its ability to connect the city centers of the southside, connect strategic employment centers, and connect strategic recreation and activity centers. The true challenge is patience. The folks in HR must allow the Tide to mature from a line to a system and ultimately, a transit network with integrated bus connections, park and rides and the new connections to the Northeast Corridor.

There is only limited additional capacity that can be added to the existing highways. There aren't many new freeways to be built. Va Beach will never see a new freeway. There is not much capacity to be added to I-264 through VAB. For all of it's size, VAB lacks density and transit oriented development will help to increase the density...and improve livability.

The success of this sys

I am really excited for Hampton Roads. Unfortunately, it's biggest strength (multiple town centers and destinations) is it's biggest weakness. Especially, on the southside. In order for the Tide to work, Chesapeake, VB, Norfolk and Portsmouth needs to be on board. The success of this system is in its ability to connect the city centers of the southside, connect strategic employment centers, and connect strategic recreation and activity centers. The true challenge is patience. The folks in HR must allow the Tide to mature from a line to a system and ultimately, a transit network with integrated bus connections, park and rides and the new connections to the Northeast Corridor.

There is only limited additional capacity that can be added to the existing highways. There aren't many new freeways to be built. Va Beach will never see a new freeway. There is not much capacity to be added to I-264 through VAB. For all of it's size, VAB lacks density and transit oriented development will help to increase the density...and improve livability.

The success of this sys

Actually LRT can still be a success even if it is only in one city, Norfolk could easily continue expanding its rail within its city limits and creating a system that is more in line with the Muni in San Francisco. Besides it wouldn't kill Norfolk to focus more inward and stop worrying about what the neighbors think and start doing their own big city things. If the surrounding cities want to join in on the transit, then they can, if they don't then Norfolk shouldn't be afraid to pass them by.

Not true. You can walk to your car in the park-n-ride lot and drive to your home in Virginia Beach!

and then sit in heavily congested newtown road or VA beach blvd? or hop on the congested expressway that you just sat on a train and paid money to avoid? not gonna happen..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Tide finally has a start date - August 19th for a three day preview, and then August 22nd for a revenue start date!

http://hamptonroads....ght-rails-debut

If you want to be on the inaugural ride, become a Tide Guide, go to http://www.gohrt.com to sign up

First 3 days are free... I already got my tickets to see the Tides August 20th against the Durham Bulls!