Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Those are some damn good ridership numbers for a line that really doesn't connect to much..heck, even Seattle's light rail line when it first opened in 2009 was showing about the same numbers and have now risen to about 24000. The best thing Norfolk can do is to put together a team that main focus is expanding the rail within the city and to its neighbors.

Norfolk should be focusing on extending this to NOB, ODU, and the airport, and leave it up to VaBeach to pull their heads out of the sand to do their part in expanding the line to the oceanfront.

With the ODU/NSU game this weekend, I bet Norfolk would love to have light rail extended to the base right about now. The two schools start playing each other in 2013, so I'd love to see it expanded by then.

I'm very much surprised no one has posted this yet.

Public on board with expanding light rail

The VB council won't decide anything until late 2013 so we have a long wait in front of us.

I was actually listening to that interview on the radio. He made some interesting points, as did the people who called into the radio show.

• 1 month later...

Here's a story from today's Virginian Pilot about Amtrak's train to and from Norfolk:

http://hamptonroads....ce-begin-dec-31

Can't wait for this.

My wife hates driving long distances, but wants to go everywhere I go.

We visit my dad a lot in DC and for the money, this will be the way to go for us.

I've only taken amtrak once and that was last year. A great but BAD experience. CSX was doing work on the track and we ended up having a 4 hour delay ON TRACK. I'm sure tha tis not normal, got a credit for my trouble. Does not deter me from trying again.

No wait needed. I took one glance at pilot online and left. Morons act as though transit mishaps dont happen in other cities as well. Think I'm gonna take a break from that site for the next few days, it's better for my blood pressure that way, lol.

Yeah, I typically try not to read the comments posted on articles cause it is usually some of the stupidest and ignorant posts you can possibly read, to the point you are surprised these people were able to read and comment to something online because you would think that would be too technically advanced for them.

Precisely the reason I've avoided that article. The lightest hint of catastrophe regarding light rail is just inviting the sharks to pounce...it's the drawback of working in the media. You can't ignore reporting it, but if you do, prepare for the onslaught (against HRT, not us...this time!)

Precisely the reason I've avoided that article. The lightest hint of catastrophe regarding light rail is just inviting the sharks to pounce...it's the drawback of working in the media. You can't ignore reporting it, but if you do, prepare for the onslaught (against HRT, not us...this time!)

I thought it was funny that the journalist who wrote the article interviewed a person who lives across the street from where the train derailed. I mean, the person wasn't on the train, probably didn't hear anything since the train didn't flip over or anything, just went off tracks. The person probably didn't even know there was a derailment until some random reporter knocks on his door and say "did you hear the train derailed? How does this affect you? Have you ridden the train before? Can I get a quote from you? Did you say a prayer for those on the train who were unharmed? Given the immense danger now faced by riders of LR, will you ever ride it again? Do you plan on suing the city?"

NSU is at it again! There are no words... <_<

http://hamptonroads....comment-1269326

We moved the station because you wanted it there in the first place.

Exactly, and the NSU officials are tryng to blame it solely on the President at the time. I have a newsflash for them, it takes more than one person to push for the change, the entire college is to blame and no one else should pay to correct the move, only NSU.

AS for the derailment, after talking to a light rail operaor the next day, turns out it really was the operator's error and nothing more. The operator was supposed to stop earlier but pretty much went through a "red light" as they approached the station, they saw another train and realized their error, and decided to back up but they are specifically instructed NOT to reverse, so that was why it jumped off the rails. The train was fine and should be operational after a quick realinement at the shop, but that operator obviously lost their job because of what happened. HRT officials now have operators call out when they are nearing certain spots on the radio to prevent this from happening again.

Edited by ronsmytheiii

NSU is at it again! There are no words... <_<

http://hamptonroads....comment-1269326

We moved the station because you wanted it there in the first place.

I just hope the city of Norfolk doesn't attempt to jump in and pay thousands of dollars to try to rectify this. Taxpayers would rightly so be livid.

Edited by urbanvb

I just hope the city of Norfolk doesn't attempt to jump in and pay thousands of dollars to try to rectify this. Taxpayers would rightly so be livid.

I understand your position urban, but hope is for suckers.

The fact is we have all known that this was going to be an issue, and despite 7 million in added costs, nothing was done in the redesign to address this. NSU's fault? Certainly. City of Norfolk's fault? I would say yes.

They could ticket those j walking across Brambleton; perhaps make almost as much as they could make off j walkers on Hampton Blvd.

What if they, ( NSU or Norfolk) built a fence or barricade along the south side of Brambleton. No need to widen the median or move the curbs. Given that it will all be public money anyway, why not search for an economical solution before someone gets killed. After all, the person who hits a j walker is the real victim.

Lots of people on the train today, and the newton lot is pretty full. Kinda counterintuitive considering how stormy it is. Guess all the problems last week didn't really phase people. If we can draw this many people on a rainy day then I think light rails future is fairly secure.

Transit related:

Norfolk weighs new $5.5 million bus facility

Every day, thousands of residents stand in an isolated parking lot next to Cedar Grove Cemetery to wait for the bus.

Besides the view of the cemetery, the Cedar Grove bus transfer center has poor lighting and a crime problem that has led the city to pay for police to man the facility.

Vice Mayor Anthony L. Burfoot once commented that "I would not allow my family to be out there."

Now four years after the city built the "temporary" center, which was erected on a paved-over mound of coal fly ash, Norfolk leaders are ready to construct a permanent one. Last week, Assistant City Manager Anne Odell unveiled a $5.5 million plan to move the bus transfer station to the site of a vacant ABC store at the old Downtown Plaza.

777941.jpg

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/norfolk-weighs-new-55-million-bus-facility

wish they would focus first on the amtrack intermodal station

This looks like a very simple project for the city to complete. I wouldn't worry too much about the Amtrak project over this one. $5.5Million is a small project that will probably take no time to complete.

If this is done right, it could make for a great urban transfer station and give the SPQ a transit focus.

Yeah, I thought that was the whole point of the multi-modal transportation facility.

Yeah, but I think its more aimmed towards what they want to do with st.pauls quad. They would be off making a smaller verison, which routes back over to harbor park. But I agree, I thought that was the whole point.

• 2 weeks later...