Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

1 hour ago, Virginia City said:

I think with the collaboration between Norfolk and VB for the potential arena deal I think that VB might end up expanding the Tide eventually. 

I feel you on that potential. There's seems to be a lot more incentive for the beach in that scenario.

13 hours ago, vdogg said:

Both routes lead through the Military Highway corridor, which will be good for the Arena if that’s where they decide to put it. The other options were financially infeasible. I would’ve liked the Granby route too, but if they don’t have the money they don’t have it. As long as we eventually make it to the base and the airport I’ll be happy.

Infeasibility has never stopped any city including Norfolk from constructing ideas. Don't see how this would be any different.

I'm down for the positivity but not so much for the part about not having money for the train nor the idea of the arena near Military Circle. Still seems odd with it not being downtown, with all the existing transportation options already there. Plus I see the area around Military Circle being very drivable. What reason would locals have to take a train where they could drive?

The idea isn't stupid at all...just very coincidental that the west side option is a no go right in time for Military Circle to be a potential arena site. 

• 9 months later...

This article talks more about BRT on the Peninsula, but there is a blurb towards the end about Norfolk and Chesapeake considering this. If Chesapeake does, I might just move back to Greenbrier... :lol:

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-fz20-bus-rapid-transit-hrt-20201127-67hkyipcybdqziiu4jevte4bri-story.html

And of course there's another study under consideration. Look, people want better public transit and less traffic. It should go to the base, airport, whatever they're doing to Military Circle, Town Center, the beach, Greenbrier, and at least Hampton Town Center.

There, now pay me $100,000.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 3.04.23 PM.png

Their buses are nasty and I will never, ever, never, ever, never ever ride them. If we have been sitting here for 20 years by the time this thing is done, waiting on the light rail expansion, only to be slapped in the face with BRT and left with a failed (yet lovely and a far superior mode) LRT starter line to nowhere, I will be beyond angry. Absolutely outrageous. Remember, long-awaited attendant light rail development may not ever come to fruition with BRT implementation. That’s one major drawback, for starters. The other is I don’t think you’re going to get people to ride the damn bus. 

• Like 1

I know the city wanted to extend into Virginia Beach, and Town Center and the Strip were both logical options. But, when they started building the line, we were only a decade removed from the first time VB said no. From the very beginning, they should've found a way to build this to at least the airport, if not the base. That way, they have a successful system to take to VB.

It's ridiculous that the city keeps dragging its feet because they painted themselves into a corner. I'd like to see a second line while I'm still young. Every time I go to DC, I get insanely jealous of the Metro...I know they have a 40-year head start, but it's still frustrating.

Does anyone know the status of the rail line that runs behind Cape Henry Ave? Who owns it, is it active with freight service, etc? 

It goes to Miller Store Road on the south side of the airport. Just need a clever way to connect it to the other side where the terminals are.  But that line goes from the airport area to the freight line by Ballentine. It would connect further down to the line that goes to the Amtrak Station by Harbor Park. IMO, if you could connect these segments and deal with what (if any) freight rail operation happens there, you’ve got a good LRT corridor from downtown to be airport. 

Edited by lammius
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, urbanvb said:

An article about the Tide. Va Beach missed a huge opportunity not allowing it to extend to Town Center. Oh, what could have been…

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/vp-nw-tide-light-rail-10-year-20210819-v5ixg3vs4bdvjismt4das5nv2i-story.html

Norfolk should definitely be looking at expanding light rail throughout the city, and working with surrounding cities that also want to be connected by light rail.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

My daughter's university has 2 light rail stations making access to uptown very convenient.

Would be awesome for Norfolk and ODU if they could get light rail up there. Would be a game-changer.

Connecting it to ODU and the airport should be a priority for the next expansion or additional lines.

• Like 1

https://www.pilotonline.com/opinion/editorials/vp-ed-editorial-tide-anniversary-0819-20210818-qap35v6bzjfmje737z3t34u5ja-story.html

Not sure what to make of the tone of this editorial. It's realistic and the truth hurts, but it has the pessimistic tone we have come to expect from the Pilot. The editorial misses the fact that Virginia Beach voted Yes on light rail in 2012, but John Atkinson came up with that "misleading language" BS.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize a bus rapid transit study was so far along. If they connect to ODU and downtown, I'd ride that in a heartbeat.

This is what that article is referencing: https://www.navalstationnorfolktransit.com/projectupdates/project-update-august-2021

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with the decision. The BRT line would not connect ODU to Downtown, and if someone were to fly to the airport and want to take public transit to Downtown, they would need to take a shuttle from the airport to the BRT, the BRT to the Tide Station, and then take the Tide into downtown. Precisely zero people will make this or similar trips when taking an Uber is so much easier, faster, and probably cheaper. Going for BRT instead of Light Rail to finish up the eastern section just further exacerbates the biggest issue that The Tide has, that it does not take people from where they are to a place they want to be. And it makes taking public transit even harder by forcing people to make multiple mode changes in order to really get anywhere. This is really frustrating and honestly a gigantic step backwards, in my first-take opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another study. Another $&@%in study. You gotta be kidding me. If I ever leave Hampton Roads, part of the reason is because it takes forever for anything to get done around here and because they study everything to death. 

Traffic around here sucks - especially in Greenbrier - and you’re running out of space to build extra lanes for cars. Light rail or BRT would help. There’s your study. Now pay me $100K. 

0AE0BC46-6B41-4815-873E-C5DB3D5FCA31.jpeg

37 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

The “studies “ are just another sign of timidity that affects this region. It’s why we will probably never rise even close to our full potential.

/off my soapbox

The CEO really isnt digging more light rail...Problem is HRT is more obsessed with bus than lightrail

• Like 1

Just as I have always feared.  Rome burned while our leaders fiddled. Potentially 20 years to second phase expansion completion from initial starter line debut is absurd, ridiculous and destined to fail based on inflationary pressures in raw materials, alone.

However, ridership matters, and the all-important funding formulas will not work at current ridership levels. Therefore, extending LRT to Military Circle is the very best we can possibly HOPE for in the near term.

Additionally, the Pilot’s editorial was perfectly balanced and spot on in every single aspect, from tone to facts to prescriptions...and re: aspiration vs. reality. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Qdeathstar said:

BRT is not as appealing as light rail IMO. I would not ride a bus. But would ride a train. Psychology….

Generally-speaking, I would definitely agree  with you. However, I did take one of the new HRT Route 20 all-electric buses from downtown to the oceanfront one day when I had some free time (more like 1:40!!)  because I wanted to see what they were like. The ride was flawless, quiet and smooth as silk. The interior was spartan, modern, bright and clean and styled with layout almost exactly mirroring a light rail train car. I found the entire experience (besides the length of the ride because of all the stops) rather pleasant and somehow far less “stigmatizing” than the old buses. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2