Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amtrak will add a 3rd Norfolk to DC train sometime this year. https://www.pilotonline.com/news/transportation/vp-nw-passenger-rail-hampton-roads-buttigieg-northam-20210331-zdpqhmjqzfe5rcioi3brqor

Once it's 4 lanes, then people will really see why a third crossing is needed

They focus too much on bus service. There is and always will be a stigma on using the city bus. Enough of the light rail studies and get it done already. 

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

The “studies “ are just another sign of timidity that affects this region. It’s why we will probably never rise even close to our full potential.

/off my soapbox

The CEO really isnt digging more light rail...Problem is HRT is more obsessed with bus than lightrail

• Like 1

Just as I have always feared.  Rome burned while our leaders fiddled. Potentially 20 years to second phase expansion completion from initial starter line debut is absurd, ridiculous and destined to fail based on inflationary pressures in raw materials, alone.

However, ridership matters, and the all-important funding formulas will not work at current ridership levels. Therefore, extending LRT to Military Circle is the very best we can possibly HOPE for in the near term.

Additionally, the Pilot’s editorial was perfectly balanced and spot on in every single aspect, from tone to facts to prescriptions...and re: aspiration vs. reality. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Qdeathstar said:

BRT is not as appealing as light rail IMO. I would not ride a bus. But would ride a train. Psychology….

Generally-speaking, I would definitely agree  with you. However, I did take one of the new HRT Route 20 all-electric buses from downtown to the oceanfront one day when I had some free time (more like 1:40!!)  because I wanted to see what they were like. The ride was flawless, quiet and smooth as silk. The interior was spartan, modern, bright and clean and styled with layout almost exactly mirroring a light rail train car. I found the entire experience (besides the length of the ride because of all the stops) rather pleasant and somehow far less “stigmatizing” than the old buses. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a few reasons why it won't be happening anytime soon for lightrail to the base. They seem to think the feds (FTA) will not approve funds for the project to the base

The Tide needed a ‘miracle’ to get started 10 years ago. What does its future hold? - The Virginian-Pilot (pilotonline.com)

Edited by Norva757
9 hours ago, vdogg said:

I suppose it’s better than nothing. Being phase 2 maybe we can revisit the rail option if the military highway extension takes off.

I think BRT gets a bad reputation (and I have been there before) But I think if you look at how successful it has been in Richmond, it isnt a bad start or way to go.

Plus, if they really want they could try guided busways on the old rail alignment. Works well for the Cambridge/Cambridgeshire area:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BFG said:

My head hurts. Five years of studies and this is what they come up with?

CBBBD40F-7508-4660-B006-05FE211E84D4.jpeg

It was 20 years before the first shovel of dirt was turned in St. Paul’s. This is actually pretty quick by Norfolk standards. :lol:

• Haha 1

Looking at the map, I see BRT would cross Military Hwy. at Azalea Garden Rd., near the airport. If they could put a stop near Robin Hood or Miller Store Rds. where that back road to the airport is, I wonder if the airport would pay for a shuttle or even a tram to the main terminals?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 9/1/2021 at 11:21 PM, BFG said:

My head hurts. Five years of studies and this is what they come up with?

CBBBD40F-7508-4660-B006-05FE211E84D4.jpeg

I'm still baffled no light rail extension to ODU.

My daughter's college campus has 2 light rail stops. It allows students, particularly ones without cars, to easily access other areas of the city. I feel ODU and the rest of Norfolk would benefit greatly by light rail. Get those kids off campus easily to downtown to the bars and restaurants and shops. Put a stop at teh football stadium to give folks from other areas of the city access without having to find parking.

If a study needs to be done, study the economic impacts of large student bodies utilizing transit to access commercial establishments away from the campus area. I bet it would show a great benefit for Norfolk to add light-rail to ODU.

Edited by carolinaboy
added thought
  • Like 2