Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Norfolk Southern's David Goode Speech

David Goode spoke at the Hampton Roads Economic Club Luncheon last Thursday. Here's a link to his speech. His main point is that the cities of Hampton Roads need to work together as a region instead of competing cities. He used Norfolk's purchase of NS's rail lines as an example of Norfolk working alone to solve a regional transportation problem. He made a point that Hampton Road's congestion is a regional problem and needs to be addressed regionally instead of each city contributing seperately. Maybe he's just trying to sell more rail lines to other cities, but he's got a point.

I don't think that its cause they are trying to sell the rest of the line cause they know Vabeach is going to buy it regardless. I think he makes commutes just like the rest of us and understands the need of working together on this issue. Look what just happened with NS, they are working with another railroad to make money.

From the Virginian Pilot....

It's definitely time to do something about getting connected to DC...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DC_...V&SECTION=STATE

An interesting article. I know that some economists already consider HR to be a part (albeit an isolated section) of the Megalopolis and I think that in 20-30 years the Norfolk and Richmond metros will be getting increasingly tied together. This could be tremendous if we did increase connectivity to the other areas of the northeast in a significant way, or this could exacerbate our traffic problems and pose a serious economic threat...

I'm hoping for the first of those two options.

"The day will come when Baltimore, Richmond and even Norfolk are considered part of the Washington metropolitan area, and the urban planner who made that prediction Wednesday warned the time to plan for that is now."

That is absolutely nuts. Isn't the New York megalopolis eventually (or already) supposed to extend to Washington D.C. If that's the case then we're looking at continuous urban areas stretching all the way from HR to New England. That is just plain insanity. I really don't see our governments investing enough in our transportation infrastructure to keep up with that type of growth.

"The day will come when Baltimore, Richmond and even Norfolk are considered part of the Washington metropolitan area, and the urban planner who made that prediction Wednesday warned the time to plan for that is now."

That is absolutely nuts. Isn't the New York megalopolis eventually (or already) supposed to extend to Washington D.C. If that's the case then we're looking at continuous urban areas stretching all the way from HR to New England. That is just plain insanity. I really don't see our governments investing enough in our transportation infrastructure to keep up with that type of growth.

I couldn't even imagine that dude! It would take over 6 hours to get to the other side of the metro from here! :wacko:

Hopefully the "culdesac" effect doesn't have a damper on HR's high speed rail connection potential. As long as it has a connection with Richmond though, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. There are several plans that suggest linking Richmond and HR with high speed rail. Probably won't really happen until Main St. Station's comeback is complete (upcoming phases) and speed is increased between Richmond and DC... there should be a dedicated line for passenger rail, though I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

An interesting article. I know that some economists already consider HR to be a part (albeit an isolated section) of the Megalopolis and I think that in 20-30 years the Norfolk and Richmond metros will be getting increasingly tied together. This could be tremendous if we did increase connectivity to the other areas of the northeast in a significant way, or this could exacerbate our traffic problems and pose a serious economic threat...

I'm hoping for the first of those two options.

If you think about it, only about 25 miles separate HR from Richmond (between the far reaches of Williamsburg/James City and the burbs around 295). From Richmond it's only about 25 miles from its burbs to Fredericksburg then another 20 miles to NoVa. It's alot easier to connect HR to DC than to connect Richmond to Raleigh.

what we need to do is get a interstate that runs through suffolk to raleigh or straight to charlotte and turn route 13 over on the eastern shore to more of a interstate to Delaware and on to Jersey and I think this would help us out alot

I agree. I hope that one day the tolls on Rte. 13 will be much lowered and it will become a part of the interstate system, giving us a straight shot to Philly and NYC markets. Either that or a greatly-expanded Rte. 17 up to Fredericksburg.

I agree. I hope that one day the tolls on Rte. 13 will be much lowered and it will become a part of the interstate system, giving us a straight shot to Philly and NYC markets. Either that or a greatly-expanded Rte. 17 up to Fredericksburg.

Yeah that would be good to run straight up to NOVA and then down to raleigh but I don't know if this will ever happen. The state would never back that

NC has already built two interstate quality roads to Williamston (Route 64) and to Greenville (Route 264). Turn Rte 13 in Suffolk into interstate quality and work with NC to connect down to those two towns going through Ahoskie. Both 64 and 264 run east to Raleigh. Another choice would to turn 168 in NC through Elizabeth City and Edenton into interstate quality connecting to Rte 64. But all this is dependent on NC. I rather go through Ahoskie because Edenton and Elizabeth City are more anti-growth. For now, Rte. 58 will have to do.

NC has already built two interstate quality roads to Williamston (Route 64) and to Greenville (Route 264). Turn Rte 13 in Suffolk into interstate quality and work with NC to connect down to those two towns going through Ahoskie. Both 64 and 264 run east to Raleigh. Another choice would to turn 168 in NC through Elizabeth City and Edenton into interstate quality connecting to Rte 64. But all this is dependent on NC. I rather go through Ahoskie because Edenton and Elizabeth City are more anti-growth. For now, Rte. 58 will have to do.

It would be nice but I think we are in dream world. Remember Richmond controls the money for the roads!

Warner budget to include $625 million extra for transportation

Warner proposes $143 million for other high-priority federal-state projects, which includes:

-$36 million for the Highway 460 Coalfields Connector;

-$30 million for the Interstate 264-64 interchange in Norfolk;

-$20 million for Metrorail rail car storage;

-$16 million to widen part of I-66 westbound inside the Capital Beltway in northern Virginia;

-$15 for additional capacity to the commuter train service that links Washington, D.C., and its outlying suburbs; and

-$10 million statewide for new buses.

Does anyone have any info on the 264-64 interchange? I have not seen any plans for this interchange and I even gave vdot's website a quick look.

The 64/264 interchange is a little messy. For example, right now, going eastbound on 264 you have two options of getting onto westbound 64. You can either use the well-marked left lane exit or the "secret" right-lane clover-leaf exit. I believe the money will go to untieing the tie-ups and widening the connections.

My only question is $36 million for the coalfields connector? Why is so much money being spent in po-dunk?

IMO what is even worse is the I64/264 interchange from approaching Chesapake to exit 264 towards VB. That one lane dumping into a major interstate is badly in need of a change. I don't know if if is feasable but having dual exit lanes would help a lot. That area is a horrible bottleneck.

My only question is $36 million for the coalfields connector? Why is so much money being spent in po-dunk?
Dude that's just for 6.5 miles of a 51 mile highway. The total cost of this project is estimated at $1.7 Billion (2002).

This is the reason for the project.

The expressway will not only provide a modern, safe and efficient highway through the Coalfields region of southwestern Virginia, but the new road is expected to be an economic lifeline for a region experiencing double-digit unemployment and a declining population. In fact, the entire multi-state Appalachian region should see a boost in commerce and tourism as a result of the Coalfields Expressway. Designated as part of the national highway system, the new road will link Interstate 64 and 77 in West Virginia with Route 23 in Virginia, which links to interstates in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Dude that's just for 6.5 miles of a 51 mile highway. The total cost of this project is estimated at $1.7 Billion (2002).

This is the reason for the project.

The expressway will not only provide a modern, safe and efficient highway through the Coalfields region of southwestern Virginia, but the new road is expected to be an economic lifeline for a region experiencing double-digit unemployment and a declining population. In fact, the entire multi-state Appalachian region should see a boost in commerce and tourism as a result of the Coalfields Expressway. Designated as part of the national highway system, the new road will link Interstate 64 and 77 in West Virginia with Route 23 in Virginia, which links to interstates in Kentucky and Tennessee.

What about I-81? Does that not go through the area? They're dumping $1.7 billion to help Grundy and Wise? What about Martinsvillen and Danville? Don't they have double-digit unemployment? This is just as bad as that bridge in Alaska. Pork barrel projects that bring long-term jobs are one thing. But pet transportation projects that provide a couple year rise in construction employment and don't help areas that need transportation relief is something else.

• 2 weeks later...