Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Virginia Beach's Bus Rapid Transit isn't going to happen. Hopefully they do the right thing and get on line with the light rail.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...8340&ran=199843

Mike I hope that this is the case. I think that it wouldn't take that long for Vabeach to get the federal funding either with the approval of the line in Norfolk. The two would run together and the feds would see that. This would really take some of that 264 traffic down. Also people wanting to go to the Oceanfront that normally would drive can ride instead of drive.

Just don't let us douche bags in Va. Beach vote on it or we'll never see it happen. City council should just shut up and do it...like everything else.

Sadly i agree, they put this one to a vote and it'll never see the light of day. They need to just make it happen, preferably with a starter line connecting from TC to the rest of Norfolks line into downtown. Once everyone sees the benefits of that and the development it brings it'll be a much easier sell bringing it all the way to the Oceanfront.

Sadly i agree, they put this one to a vote and it'll never see the light of day. They need to just make it happen, preferably with a starter line connecting from TC to the rest of Norfolks line into downtown. Once everyone sees the benefits of that and the development it brings it'll be a much easier sell bringing it all the way to the Oceanfront.

You are probably right. But, I think they need to make the starter line from the oceanfront to Norfolk for the feds to approve it. Look how long it took Norfolk with its short line. I know they will be connecting but in the feds eyes they will a short track for the city of Vabeach so it should be from the oceanfront to the Norfolk line so the feds see it as a more feasible starter line. Imagine one day being able to take the light rail to Chics beach! :yahoo:

You are probably right. But, I think they need to make the starter line from the oceanfront to Norfolk for the feds to approve it. Look how long it took Norfolk with its short line. I know they will be connecting but in the feds eyes they will a short track for the city of Vabeach so it should be from the oceanfront to the Norfolk line so the feds see it as a more feasible starter line. Imagine one day being able to take the light rail to Chics beach! :yahoo:

Truthfully, the idea of virginia beach piggybacking on to Norfolk's line is not going to happen. There is to much environmental work and reworking to do which would put norfolk's line back by years. What will happen though is during construction of norfolk's line HRT will start the process to extend the line to virginia beach which would be able to happen alot faster than trying to do it all at one shot right now.

Truthfully, the idea of virginia beach piggybacking on to Norfolk's line is not going to happen. There is to much environmental work and reworking to do which would put norfolk's line back by years. What will happen though is during construction of norfolk's line HRT will start the process to extend the line to virginia beach which would be able to happen alot faster than trying to do it all at one shot right now.

i was thinking the same thing. Norfolk should just go ahead and wait for VB to extend later.

i was thinking the same thing. Norfolk should just go ahead and wait for VB to extend later.

You guys took me entirely wrong. I meant that in the bid for the LR for Vabeach they could attach to the Norfolk line and use this as a extention of the Norfolk line which would look good for the inquiry of the federal funds. This looks like an addition of a project and not a seperate city competing for funds.

Here's a great editorial that I posted in the beach forum as well, it deals with both of our areas.

BRT's death, a chance for transit

Streetcars once ran from downtown Norfolk to Ocean View, and passenger rail once connected the city to the resort. Rail lines — some dormant — crisscross the region in a web that looks suspiciously like a network. A transit network.

Virginia Beach had planned to use it (the NS right of way) eventually as an east-west BRT corridor. That would have forced anyone wanting to go from Granby Street to the resort to transfer from light rail to BRT, a silly and infuriating inconvenience that might have taken as long as each leg of the trip.

They seem to be on point with this one. I've heard some of these very same arguments in the forum, it's just weird to see it said in public now. Perhaps people are finally coming around on this issue.

They seem to be on point with this one. I've heard some of these very same arguments in the forum, it's just weird to see it said in public now. Perhaps people are finally coming around on this issue.

Well lets see if Vabeach will look at this regionally. If they do the rest of the cities need to look at that example and run with it. One of the cities need to step up and think as a region. This is the only way this region will be successful and it needs to start with mass transit. This, traffic, is the plague of the region. I hope they choose to set the example for regionalism.

Well lets see if Vabeach will look at this regionally. If they do the rest of the cities need to look at that example and run with it. One of the cities need to step up and think as a region. This is the only way this region will be successful and it needs to start with mass transit. This, traffic, is the plague of the region. I hope they choose to set the example for regionalism.

Does anyone think the other area cities have the money/resources/need to join the light rail club?

I don't think that Portsmouth has the finances to invest in light rail.

I don't think that Chesapeake is dense enough yet nor are they willing to spend the money on light rail.

Virginia Beach certainly has the money, and I believe that they have the density. I think they are ready and should connect to light rail.

Newport News/Hampton probably is a viable option as far as density/need but a link across the water is certainly an expensive idea.

Thoughts?

Well, I agree about Portsmouth and Chesapeake. As far as VB sometimes I wonder if there is enough density to justify and get enough funding for light rail. That being said there is a lot of build up right near the interstate which is where light rail would be located. I do wish a north-south line could also be built such as to serve Kempsville but I don't know since so much of that land is already developed and land acquisition is especially now so terribly expensive. I think if the city were to have another vote VB'ers would approve light rail here especially if they get a taste of Norfolk's once it comes online. And personally, although Norfolk is growing more and more dense I would not have thought they would even think of rail at this juncture but I am so glad they did. Actually, probably better now before they take all the land for development. As far as the peninsula I am not sure how it can work although I think the southeastern rail project linking DC to Raleigh is still on track.. at least I hope. Sorry for the long reply.

I don't think that Chesapeake is dense enough yet nor are they willing to spend the money on light rail.

I agree. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend at QRS (who did the DEIS). She said a co-worker was griping about having to write the "Purpose and Need" portion of the document saying, "The thing will go through corn fields! There is no purpose and there is no need!" Yet the section got written anyway. Consultants are often good at hiding their own opinions for the "good" of the client's satisfaction & political aims.

• 2 weeks later...

This is another positive step forward with a federal agency that seems like it has it's ducks in a row, unlike the GSA.

With Virginia Beach backing off of the buses, and with continued high fuel costs, the Norfolk light rail project could be not just a shot in the arm for downtown and all of Norfolk, but also for the region if expansion of the system becomes a reality sooner rather than later.

This is awesome news, we are so close i can taste it. I'm starting to get nervous now cause I don't want anything to possibly screw this up. This quote definately puts me at ease though. "This is very good news for them," said Brigid Hynes-Cherin, FTA associate administrator. "The expectation is they will move forward." :yahoo: