Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

is the garages in the TC really time limited? I remember why they said they were going to make them free garages, it was because of the ample parking lots at the Pembroke Mall people would end up using for free if the TC charged.

I'll admit I've only been to TC three times, but each time I haven't had a problem with parking? Two of the three days were on weekdays as well... so idk.

In terms of a light rail station near TC... lord how awesome that would be. I hope both sides of the issue get their heads out of their other-ends and realize how great of a boon to Virginia Beach that could be. Some day they could even work it into the up-and-coming Peninsula LR system. The only thing that keeps me from the Southside every weekend is the HRBT... if I could bypass it on train, I would go. And I would bring my money to Virginia Beach restaurants. And I would bring my friends with their money to MacArthur Center Mall. It's funny how it works like that and in the end everyone would benefit... *sigh*

I do like how it's going as-is... we'll see where it ends up :)

I would love a light rail system for Vb/Norf and Peninsula but one thing that could hurt ridership is the amount of time it would take...anyone who's familiar with the Metro in DC or even the Jersey Transit trains knows that it can take a good hour sometimes to travel from one end of the system to the other. Again, I want to state that I agree with the Light Rail idea for our region...but if there's plenty of free parking available then off peak or non-rush hour trips will be lacking. And, the Feds might not finance it without parking limitations. So VB needs to address this with Town Center if they're planning on jumping onboard (Pun intended) with Norfolk's plans.

I would love a light rail system for Vb/Norf and Peninsula but one thing that could hurt ridership is the amount of time it would take...anyone who's familiar with the Metro in DC or even the Jersey Transit trains knows that it can take a good hour sometimes to travel from one end of the system to the other. Again, I want to state that I agree with the Light Rail idea for our region...but if there's plenty of free parking available then off peak or non-rush hour trips will be lacking. And, the Feds might not finance it without parking limitations. So VB needs to address this with Town Center if they're planning on jumping onboard (Pun intended) with Norfolk's plans.

Of course if it sometimes takes up to an hour and a half to cross the water with gridlocked traffic, a 45 minute to an hour trip on a train might not look so bad.

The one thing I love about it here is that I get to ride the train in to downtown and do all my college things and work without the costs of parking downtown or having to find street parking and worry about where I have parked my car.

• 3 weeks later...

what is the problem? Parking is time limited already so all they would have to do is enforce it. Workers could get decals or hang tags, limit parking to 2-3 hours for customers and make a note of tags that park for 8-9 hours more than two or three days consecutaively. After a warning, they would get a ticket or get towed. Problem solved.

Are underground parking garages out of the question for Norfolk City?

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder where we're at on this? Has anyone heard any tidbits lately? This was posted in an article dated Feb 7th. It's been almost 2 months now. April will be a very crucial time for this project.

I might try tomorrow to email HRT on this. I will get back with everyone after I get a response.

I might try tomorrow to email HRT on this. I will get back with everyone after I get a response.

The Virginia Beach City Council retreat recently focused on this issue - Va Beach is moving toward buying the NS right of way to link light rail with the Beach. Details are still to be worked out, but a tentative date for completion of purchase was August 2006. Norfolk is moving ahead now and this would be a great development.

Also, a great opportunity for a bike trail alongside - VDOT has a study on costs of running a trail alongside the rail line - $1 to $2 million for the 5 miles from downtown to the Va beach line. Then, pick up the trail to the Oceanfront. What a great opportunity! But HRT is cool to the prospect since they didn't include bike/multipurpose trails in their original plans and they fear it could delay the project.

The Virginia Beach City Council retreat recently focused on this issue - Va Beach is moving toward buying the NS right of way to link light rail with the Beach. Details are still to be worked out, but a tentative date for completion of purchase was August 2006. Norfolk is moving ahead now and this would be a great development.

Also, a great opportunity for a bike trail alongside - VDOT has a study on costs of running a trail alongside the rail line - $1 to $2 million for the 5 miles from downtown to the Va beach line. Then, pick up the trail to the Oceanfront. What a great opportunity! But HRT is cool to the prospect since they didn't include bike/multipurpose trails in their original plans and they fear it could delay the project.

Welcome to the forum Wghent, great first post. I had no idea the Beach was that far along with considering this, it looks like we can look forward to a future where LR extends all the way from DT to the oceanfront. As far as bike trails go, they need to stand the hell out of HRT's way and let them do their jobs before something gets screwed up. :lol: We can add bike trails later, HRT has gotten us this far, lets let them finish the process.

• 3 weeks later...

"Williams has trimmed some long-term budget proposals - spending this fiscal year on a $94 million new courts facility has been reduced nearly $9 million to $6.6 million, and the project has been spread out an additional year. The courts facility won't open until 2010."

They did mention the Courts building in the article. I know I'm off-topic, but on what site is this project suppose to be built?