Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I've noticed recently on Hampton Blvd(Ghent area) they have a strip of cables that, I guess, is tracking the number of vehicles daily.

Could be an indicator of wanting to extend up hampton blvd....

Any info on them?

They have those all over the place to track traffic. I don't think that has anything to do with that. It might have something to do with expanding the Mid-town tunnel though.

I've noticed recently on Hampton Blvd(Ghent area) they have a strip of cables that, I guess, is tracking the number of vehicles daily.

Could be an indicator of wanting to extend up hampton blvd....

Any info on them?

Actually, I have seen today that they are on Bramblton, Waterside drive, and Boush st.

Anyone seen anymore?

I think theres a connection. These are all strategicly placed. :thumbsup:

Whenever I see ATRs laid out on some of my favorite routes I'm tempted to keep circling the block and drive on them over and over to skew the data. By showing higher volumes I think something will be done to make life easier for my commute. LOL.

Here is what was stated to me in a email from HRT: They hope to begin the Final Design in July 2006. This will take approx. 12-14 mos. and then construction will begin. FY2007 budget has Norfolk and 4 other projects on the list to share $100 Million dollars. This is courtesy of Marie Arnt of HRT.

Here is what was stated to me in a email from HRT: They hope to begin the Final Design in July 2006. This will take approx. 12-14 mos. and then construction will begin. FY2007 budget has Norfolk and 4 other projects on the list to share $100 Million dollars. This is courtesy of Marie Arnt of HRT.

So, July is not too far away. Does this mean they've finally cleared all hurdles?

I'm not sure. I will email her back and ask her.

I just wish that the LR was regional. Why couldn't the cities put differences aside and gone in together?

That will all change once the starter line is up and running and other cities city the development benefits Norfolk is getting from it.

So we can expect a final design by July-September 2007... I wonder where that puts us as far as a completion date. I don't know how long they expect it to take, but I would guess not too long. It is a major undertaking, but it seems like one that won't require too much heavy building - just a couple of stations and 7.4 miles of track. Also, if they still expect to get this running by 2008, does that mean we will get a new main library in the next two years since the track is supposed to run through the site of the Kirn Memorial Library? So many questions... I wonder what kind of changes will be made over the next 12-14 months. And do they have options in place for expansion already? And how long after it's completion before we can start discussing extensions?

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the work of some very cautious people who have their ears closed to opportunity knocking.

Given the location and projected usage of this station, I think it would prove to be highly useful for trips to Norfolk State, Harbor Park, downtown, and the medical center area. I think it would have a positive impact on their overall property values. Gas prices are not going down, and having such a convenient alternative will prove to be not just useful, but good for the pocketbook.

Change makes people nervous, and understandably so. In this case, I think they are worrying needlessly. At the least, the areas of concern are addressable.

Speaking on the topic of transit related development, I find the HRT plans a little bit short-sighted. I really like all the work that was put into getting that together, don't get me wrong. It's just that a lot of the stops have A LOT of parking (as in parking lots) where a parking garage and Port Warwick style housing would seem to fit much better (and at a better profit to all involved).

Just hopeful thinking, but it would be cool if they ran a line up Granby all the way to Ocean View. I don't see the huge problem with a Colley line, because they could remove all parking, run the train down the center and build a big garage (4-5 stories in similar architechture to Blair MS) across from Balir MS (on that parking lot that is already there) and another one (smaller) behind the Naro and all those buildings. In fact, there is a huge vacant lot and a lot of open space that the city could seize, use for a parking lot and have the novelty of Spotswood Ave going through the middle of the garage. It could run up Colley to the Food Lion, cut across 25th and then go up Kellam (through University Village), run it across one of the 40's Streets and meet Hampton there and go all the way up. Ambitious, yes but possible if the starter line is a success. Plus Ghent would be much better off with a LR route going through the area. Back to reality now...

As for Ingelside, they could be left out and added in later. That is usually an easy fix with light rail. It seems more like someone doesn't want it and got his friends to show up at the meeting. An actual survey would be a better measure than who shows up to gripe at the civic league meeting.

Finally, what about the people at the Newtown stop who lose their houses to make way for a parking lot? I am SURE that they are going to be on the news soon. How is that gonna work for all this anti-emminant domain hype that seems to have swept the nation? What would suck is if the city ends up getting property but can only put stupid parking lots on it instead of making a mixed-use development at these stops.

Speaking on the topic of transit related development, I find the HRT plans a little bit short-sighted. I really like all the work that was put into getting that together, don't get me wrong. It's just that a lot of the stops have A LOT of parking (as in parking lots) where a parking garage and Port Warwick style housing would seem to fit much better (and at a better profit to all involved).

What would suck is if the city ends up getting property but can only put stupid parking lots on it instead of making a mixed-use development at these stops.

I agree that having tons of surface parking for park-and-ride style stations sucks. But 1, in HR if anyone is going to use the LR they're going to drive to it, and 2, the mixed-use TODs will come once the LR is built and people start saying, "hey this is cool. I want to live/shop/etc near a LR station."

I agree that having tons of surface parking for park-and-ride style stations sucks. But 1, in HR if anyone is going to use the LR they're going to drive to it, and 2, the mixed-use TODs will come once the LR is built and people start saying, "hey this is cool. I want to live/shop/etc near a LR station."

I think those parking lots will turn into TOD development later. I think the city is planning this and its easier to turn parking lots into development than some houses sitting on those lots. They have to get this thing started first to be able to do it.

• 2 weeks later...