Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but this is a map that shows how every new project, incldung ghent south, relates to the light rail line.

HRTLRTDevelopmentMap.pdf

Thats a good find vdogg. I see that its dated March 2006. I'm surprised no one has brought this to our attention until now. Even with computer programs, it looked painstaking just to create this map with all of the detail it has.

Thats a good find vdogg. I see that its dated March 2006. I'm surprised no one has brought this to our attention until now. Even with computer programs, it looked painstaking just to create this map with all of the detail it has.

That's been around the forum for some time i think....it's been months though. Sometimes it surprises me the goodies that the Norfolk Development site has. They update so rarely though. -_-

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a meeting on light rail held at Kirn library on September 13th from 12:00pm-1:30pm. It will be hosted by Randy Wright. The topic of discussion will be project status, planned stops, and other details for downtown workers and residents.

There will be a meeting on light rail held at Kirn library on September 13th from 12:00pm-1:30pm. It will be hosted by Randy Wright. The topic of discussion will be project status, planned stops, and other details for downtown workers and residents.

Sounds interesting. Might anyone be able to attend? I have to work that day.

Guy and or vdogg, there is a person on Richmond City Watch who knows nothing about Norfolk light rail plans and wants to see a map and latest info on the plan. Will you please post it in the Virginia New Developments thread at RCW?

Both Coupe and I have invited him to visit UP, but for wahtever reason he has declined. Thanks from Burt.

The interested party's tag is MrFANtastic on RCW.

Edited by burt

Guy and or vdogg, there is a person on Richmond City Watch who knows nothing about Norfolk light rail plans and wants to see a map and latest info on the plan. Will you please post it in the Virginia New Developments thread at RCW?

Both Coupe and I have invited him to visit UP, but for wahtever reason he has declined. Thanks from Burt.

Sure thing Burt. I'll check it out when I get home.

Sure thing Burt. I'll check it out when I get home.

The discussion is at the end of a very contentious thread titled City Council Agenda and Issues, and the subject is "Kjellberg vs Pantele", but I told him you would post the info on the Virginia New Development thread.

Thanks, vdogg.

Edited by burt

Hey Burt whats the discussion on Light rail about?

Let's inject some reality into our ideas about this project. How do you envision the outcome? Will the benefits outweigh the costs when only the short section linking our medical complexes is built? How many people have you encountered who will use this thing? Will you use it often? I know that most of us want this project to happen and that it could eventually be a real asset for our communities, but I don't think that our collective expectations are especially realistic. I think that this system will have to link the home to work trips significantly in order to make any profit. That means that we have to get VB on board and build a rapid line to the Norfolk Naval base. This will take quite some time. I also think we need a clever plan to keep the project alive during the early years when the ridership is low for the starter line. Political change is in the wind. Federal commitment to transit may be on the rise, but we have to stop the old Virginia politics if we are going to take part in this change. We have to take a more pro-environment approach to politics, regardless of party dogma.

Let's inject some reality into our ideas about this project. How do you envision the outcome? Will the benefits outweigh the costs when only the short section linking our medical complexes is built? How many people have you encountered who will use this thing? Will you use it often? I know that most of us want this project to happen and that it could eventually be a real asset for our communities, but I don't think that our collective expectations are especially realistic. I think that this system will have to link the home to work trips significantly in order to make any profit. That means that we have to get VB on board and build a rapid line to the Norfolk Naval base. This will take quite some time. I also think we need a clever plan to keep the project alive during the early years when the ridership is low for the starter line. Political change is in the wind. Federal commitment to transit may be on the rise, but we have to stop the old Virginia politics if we are going to take part in this change. We have to take a more pro-environment approach to politics, regardless of party dogma.

I think that alot of bus riders will use it. I think they chose the path they did is because it has alot of low income people that rely on the bus now. Alot of them are going to the medical facilities as well. I think connecting the Military HWY district and medical facilities on Kempsville Rd to DT and around the dt med fac. is a smart idea. Next would be to connect the base and ODU.

I also think that Vabeach will want to join in once they see the type of development it will spur. What I think this area needs is a regional transportation authority and to get the federal funding for projects that involve more than one city. Also, this would make it easier to get more federal funding with competing cities. Right now we are competing with each other for funds when we are trying to work together on the issue.

I'm not sure Light Rail will be successful because they are starting with a short line, IMO. I think it would have been much more successful running all the way to the Oceanfront, but we'll see. As someone else about said, you have to connect the places people work to where they live to get riders, I think.

I don't want to say that it won't be "successful" but I think the starter line is not the strongest transit corridor in the region. The estimated daily ridership is appropriately fairly low. The light rail is going to have to offer a one-seat ride to a lot more of the area's activity centers for a lot more of the area's residents before ridership will hit something fairly heavy. I think the LRT will "work" here but it's not hitting the area's biggest transit markets IMO.

I agree with most of the points made here, including the length of the rail line. But the stops in DT will help make this successful considering all the new resedential development taking place. This should see significant ridership both toward ODU/Naval Base and toward Mil Hwy. And if VB ever gets on board, they can see a considerable gain from people traveling to TC, both for business and pleasure. Once the word gets out, people will see that this is the only way to travel, at least when traffic sux.

I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Edited by Sky06