Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I still haven't seen the documentation showing what proportion each region of the state gives and receives in regards to funding for transportation....you should contact VDOT and let your discontent be known...

Alright i'll bring this to you. Find out how the money is issued from the feds and state over the last 10-20 years since you say you have so many resources. Prove me wrong and if you do I will not say anything about it again. Sounds like a good challange to me :thumbsup::whistling:

haha as have I repeatedly. I am by no means trying to defend VDOT (which is commonly referred to as Richmond for some reason :))..... if they dick HR over then that should change. However, I haven't seen a shred of tangible data presented with all of the complaints. That's all I've ever asked was for some stats to back up what's been said. It would give us all a better perspective on the situation. I don't even know where I could begin to look for that info. Any ideas?

Here, try this website. It gives the resources of city and county budgets in Virginia. I'm sure there's a site listing the revenues the commonwealth collects from the municipalities. Maybe the treasurer's site. Anyway, have fun comparing percentages, dollar figures, and populations.

Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts

Anyway, have fun comparing percentages, dollar figures, and populations.

The thing is, this issue doesn't bother me nearly as much as people in HR...When I'm home I don't have to put up with gridlock in tunnels and hour commutes. I wasn't asking for a pro bono research project. I was asking for people to back up what they say with actual evidence of it. I'm not saying anyone is lying, but it's one thing to just say something and another to say something and be able to back it up....

"the sky in kansas is pink. no really! it's pink I promise!"

The thing is, this issue doesn't bother me nearly as much as people in HR...When I'm home I don't have to put up with gridlock in tunnels and hour commutes. I wasn't asking for a pro bono research project. I was asking for people to back up what they say with actual evidence of it. I'm not saying anyone is lying, but it's one thing to just say something and another to say something and be able to back it up....

"the sky in kansas is pink. no really! it's pink I promise!"

The problem is trying to track down the info. I recall a Pilot article during the transportation referendum. It stated that state tax structure is set up to take money from the 3 big metro areas and distribute it to smaller towns and rural areas especially depressed areas in SW and south Virginia. The article gave percentages of how much money each metro gets back from the tax receipts going to the state. NoVa received the lowest percentage back. HR followed. Richmond was the only one of the three getting back 100% of the tax money it provided to the state. The issue is, where is that article? Are those figures accurate? The only way to actually dig through the data ourselves. If I have time, I may get around to doing it this weekend, but the chances are slim. Then again, I said I'd watch the Fort Monroe video and make suggestions. That hasn't happened yet.

I did try searching through the VDOT site.... the budget 2006 does not break down the funding by tranportation districts unfortunately....maybe if I or someone else email VDOT, they can point us in the right direction?

I too have read in the paper about how Richmond was the only metro to get 100% of funds back to them. This is why so many people in HR are pissed off dude. Don't take it personal. To us, being the capital city doesn't justify that when other areas are in much need of the funds to ease traffic. Some of the guys that don't care about it aren't born here. Its frustrating that two metros that generate larger economies are getting less funds. There have been so many articles on this but they are hard to find and they show sources to from the state. They try to cover this crap up but it always leaks out. Why do you think Richmonds infrastructure is so nice. State funds.