Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Right, but they're light years ahead of where they were, which is the point I was trying to get across. Lets give Va. Beach a chance guys. :thumbsup:

How many chances should we give them after many excuses like the Norfolk element coming over there. People from Norfolk get tired of comments like that from a snobby beach council. It sticks with us Norfolk residents, at least the ones that grew up around here like me. Now I do believe that the connections to Vabeach are critical so don't take my comment as a attack and I do hang in vabeach from time to time. I'm just not fond of the city council and their arrogant ways.

How many chances should we give them after many excuses like the Norfolk element coming over there. People from Norfolk get tired of comments like that from a snobby beach council. It sticks with us Norfolk residents, at least the ones that grew up around here like me. Now I do believe that the connections to Vabeach are critical so don't take my comment as a attack and I do hang in vabeach from time to time. I'm just not fond of the city council and their arrogant ways.

That was years ago. How many times must we beat that horse to death, honestly? If we continue to live in the past, we will never move forward. It is not constructive to continually bash or down one community, and then turn around and wonder why they don't cooperate. There is such a thing as diplomacy, and if all the communities in HR can learn to practice it then I think we'd all be better off.

Yeah it's a good sign...it would be great if the line went all the way to town center. I'd hate to be a hater, but if va beach had better leadership they'd already be planning or building the line there with Norfolk. Meyera's comment is so typical..great leadership is not always providing what the people want, but giving them what they need. The voters and council are decades behind other metro areas in terms of thinking and that's putting it kindly.

Too bad you guys don't get the Beacon (VB's Pilot supplement) and missed this morning's story - which I posted in the VB Transportation thread a month ago. :whistling: The Virginia Beach Hotel/Motel Association (Linwood Branch, President) has asked for submission to the Legislative Package a measure to acquire a light rail ROW from Birdneck Road (the NS eastern terminus) to the Dome site. I don't know why they need the state, but LRT is s-l-o-w-l-y moving forward in Virginia Beach.

Too bad you guys don't get the Beacon (VB's Pilot supplement) and missed this morning's story - which I posted in the VB Transportation thread a month ago. :whistling: The Virginia Beach Hotel/Motel Association (Linwood Branch, President) has asked for submission to the Legislative Package a measure to acquire a light rail ROW from Birdneck Road (the NS eastern terminus) to the Dome site. I don't know why they need the state, but LRT is s-l-o-w-l-y moving forward in Virginia Beach.

I'll find a way to connect to it so that everyone can see. Should be able to get to it on epilot. :)

That was years ago. How many times must we beat that horse to death, honestly? If we continue to live in the past, we will never move forward. It is not constructive to continually bash or down one community, and then turn around and wonder why they don't cooperate. There is such a thing as diplomacy, and if all the communities in HR can learn to practice it then I think we'd all be better off.

Vdogg, I grew up here and have dealt with attitude for decades. I still feel that attitude to this day. I think for LR to be successful it needs Vabeach but if you noticed alot of the council that stated it are still in council. The only reason that they are looking is because they are getting pressured by businesses and Norfolk is receiving good response.

Vdogg, I grew up here and have dealt with attitude for decades. I still feel that attitude to this day. I think for LR to be successful it needs Vabeach but if you noticed alot of the council that stated it are still in council. The only reason that they are looking is because they are getting pressured by businesses and Norfolk is receiving good response.

I give up Rus. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand where you're coming from, I just wish you could see where I'm coming from. I just think that getting hung up on that is counterproductive. What happened happened, dwelling on it will not change that fact. The focus should be on what needs to happen to propel this thing into a regional system, not on what certain council members said 10 years ago.

I'm sure this is old news and no longer pertinent. There is a blurb in the Abandonment and Acquisitions column of this month's TRAINS Magazine that reads:

"8/8: Norfolk Southern Railway filed to abandon a 15.46-mile branch connecting Norfolk and Virginia Beach. The line dates to the "old" Norfolk Southern Railway, a pike merged into Southern Railway in 1974."

I give up Rus. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand where you're coming from, I just wish you could see where I'm coming from. I just think that getting hung up on that is counterproductive. What happened happened, dwelling on it will not change that fact. The focus should be on what needs to happen to propel this thing into a regional system, not on what certain council members said 10 years ago.

I do agree that it is critical but after decades of dealing with it, its hard to let it go and thats on both sides! I agree and have always thought that it was stupid that vabeach didn't jump into this norfolk. I just hope it doesn't take freakn another decade or 2 because of those decisions to extend it

Only 4 members of the current Council were there in 1999, and one of them (Barbara Henley) was one of the two (along with Will Sessoms) to endorse a "Yes" vote on the referendum.

There's clearly a majority to go at least as far as Town Center. What they're waiting for is news from Norfolk to provide the political cover to pull the trigger.

Thanks, vdogg. The idea actually orginated with Virginia Beach Vision, a business group. The VBHMA has now picked up the ball and run with it.

Now if the Central Business District Association and Chamber of Commerce chime in, you can bet the mortgage that a DEIS will be commissioned.

I do wonder why such a short starter line. I think its because Vabeach dropped off and they kept the Norfolk side of the LR. I really think they should have included Military Hwy coridor into the starter line. I wonder if mass transit will change the way people around here think. If they start changing the way they think how do you think this region will change? Will it effect the types of jobs that come here and wages?

Edited by rusthebuss

Yeah, it would have been nice to see the Military Highway coriddor included in the starter line or the Wards Corner area for that matter, but I suppose planners didn't want to jinx anything by reworking initial plans, thus adding on to cost estimates. In anycase, sadly to say, the nay-sayers are not going to change their opinions until they actually see light rail in action. And even then, they probably won't be completely sold on it. I've also noticed how much some comments on the VA Pilot are full of panic. The funny thing is, it reminds me of the ferociously negative reactions when Macarthur Center was still just on paper. After it was realized as a success, the nay-sayers dissappeared and finally accepted it, I pressume. I think the same thing will happen with light rail. That being said, I sort of understand the negative reactions in a way. I may be wrong, but I think most of it is from a fear of change and based on negative abstract views of urban life and development. Only time will tell if attitudes will change.

...just to add, I think light rail will be a huge plus for the tourism industry in Norfolk, especially since Norfolk has year-round visitors. When you think about it, the Virginia Arts Festival, AframFest, and cruiseships bring scores of visitors to downtown Norfolk, who don't have their own transportation. So, light rail will give them an opportunity to get around from point A to B more efficiently. But I think the greater impact of tourism will happen after light rail is further expanded.

And, in another sign of the times, a majority in the online poll say they will ride the tide. Guess all the naysayers on the pilot really are the vocal minority. :)

Of course they are. They're a bunch of good ole boys who finally bought a computer, finally figured out how to register, and finally figured out how to post their negative comments.

I agree with vdogg. Va. Beach will get on board once they see how successful this will be. They're slow to get it, but they'll get it. There's nothing like clean, efficient mass transit. Look at the Metro in DC. It's the only way to travel. Anytime you can get away from the knuckleheads out there on the road, it's a good thing.

I want to know how quickly they will get on board..During or after it is built.

It's a good chance that the newtown station will be built last...

I don't think Newtown has much of an effect. The whole thing will be up and running pretty quickly. I have a feeling these stations will be built pretty fast too.

Can you believe it? We're building a light rail system. We're finally getting a public transit system other than busses!

Edited by Sky06

B: I think elevated maglev (even monorail) is the solution
I'm curious -- how much would it have cost to build this starter segment as maglev? Is there any example in the world of a maglev metro? I know about the maglev demo project in Germany (even seen it -- but not operating). But it is an intercity train, not a metro. Can maglev work in an urban environment?

I'm curious -- how much would it have cost to build this starter segment as maglev? Is there any example in the world of a maglev metro? I know about the maglev demo project in Germany (even seen it -- but not operating). But it is an intercity train, not a metro. Can maglev work in an urban environment?

I think that there is one at the new airport in China.