Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Does anyone know what type of jobs outside an operator will be created?

Is there an information system attached to this? Maybe I can switch from IS in Healthcare to IS with HRT LRT Project......

They list all the jobs they're currently looking for at www.ridethetide.com. Check there under employment opportunities.

As a daily user of the Midtown Tunnel (reverse commuter luckily), it makes sense that an extension of LRT to Portsmouth/Suffolk would be successful. Until then, maybe an express bus from the medical center station to Portsmouth/Suffolk would suffice. By allowing a bus to cut to the front of the line at the tunnel would save commuters 15-30 minutes at rush hour.
That would be interesting -- from the Portsmouth side, you could use the height inspection lanes. I am almost certain they are accessible from both merge points that back up in the morning (at least I am sure from the W. Norfolk bridge side -- not so certain from the N. bound on MLK side.)

Would need to determine where all that traffic is bound, however. My intuition says that only a few are going to downtown -- most to the NS and ODU. Most of the W. Norfolk bridge backup comes over the MMBT to avoid the HRBT on their way to the NS. Also could start that before the LR line starts, then just tie it to the bus bays that will be constructed at the Medical Center LR station -- express bus from a Park and Ride, say at the new MAST center area at College and Western Freeway and at Midtown Shopping Center to the MC station, change to LR or the expanded bus service up Hampton to ODU and the NS. Back in the evening via the Claremont access mike_25andj suggested -- and the gate would be just like the ones at the airport rental lots -- opened with a garage door opener -- and a video camera to catch violators!

For now, just start from Park and Ride lots to the NS and ODU to gauge ridership. A few folks stopped on the W. Norfolk seeing that bus whip past them might find transit religion.

Keep everything in here. I'd prefer one very busy thread to two.

Let me clarify. If I were to make a progress thread this one would be closed. The advantage would be that people wouldn't have to sift through years of posts just to get to valid updates and pics. This thread doesn't have quite as many posts as some of the others i've closed to make progress threads though which is why i'm asking the question. I'm perfectly fine with just leaving it as is though.

I can take pictures of the progress as they build near the freemason area.

I uh... my recent heavily load of photography will probably come to a halt...took a really bad spill off the segway on a nice calm road I travel a lot. I guess I didn't notice the pothole or whatever... bad stuff. Ambulance, bones sticking out, metal pins and crap. It sucked, and still continues to suck. Life is random! Will still take pictures, but the segway really helped with getting around often. Maybe a bicycle in a year :-)

I uh... my recent heavily load of photography will probably come to a halt...took a really bad spill off the segway on a nice calm road I travel a lot. I guess I didn't notice the pothole or whatever... bad stuff. Ambulance, bones sticking out, metal pins and crap. It sucked, and still continues to suck. Life is random! Will still take pictures, but the segway really helped with getting around often. Maybe a bicycle in a year :-)

You were probably distracted by the housing market ramblings going on in your head... anyways, get well!!!

Sorry to hear of your accident, and hope your recovery goes well.

NO MORE PICTURES!? :angry:

hahahaha just playing. get better soon man!

You know, that is a really good point. I wonder how they're going to pull that one off.

I believe just a few weeks ago an article came out about that saying that they would limit Bus and Trailer parking to loading and unloading and then they would have to move around to the side streets.

Thanks guys! Finally made it home, but still have a ways to go.

As far as the Norva busses... I have to admit, when the huge tour busses are parked along the street, it gives me this odd feeling. "The stars are *right* there." Not some hidden back door entrance near a loading dock. I kind of dig it.

Even before the show starts, earlier in the day you see them, and can only wonder which act is in each bus. Is the opening act living in the Ryder van while the headline is in the huge pimped out Class A with the satellite dishes?

One time we were eating outside at that restaurant at MacArthur (name escapes me, not CPK) and there were some younger guys walking out and kids kept coming up and asking for autographs. Girls were gettin' giggly. We couldn't figure out who they were, but they had a fan base. Didn't seem to line up with the acts that were listed for that night @ the Norva.

Thanks guys! Finally made it home, but still have a ways to go.

As far as the Norva busses... I have to admit, when the huge tour busses are parked along the street, it gives me this odd feeling. "The stars are *right* there." Not some hidden back door entrance near a loading dock. I kind of dig it.

Even before the show starts, earlier in the day you see them, and can only wonder which act is in each bus. Is the opening act living in the Ryder van while the headline is in the huge pimped out Class A with the satellite dishes?

One time we were eating outside at that restaurant at MacArthur (name escapes me, not CPK) and there were some younger guys walking out and kids kept coming up and asking for autographs. Girls were gettin' giggly. We couldn't figure out who they were, but they had a fan base. Didn't seem to line up with the acts that were listed for that night @ the Norva.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to learn of your fall from the Segway, Tel. You wouldn't think it could acheive enough speed to cause such devastating injuries. Here's hoping for a quick and painless recovery. Is it considered a "vehicular" accident? If so, you've got to be up there with a rare number of drivers. :)

Also thanks for talking about The NorVa which you guys seldom mention. Beginning in January, the NorVa's offspring in Richmond will open its lavish doors when The National presents its big-name opening act.

Actually, the NorVa's main entrance used to be on Granby when it was a movie/vaudeville house.

The LR station on Monticello near MacArthur, NorVa, Chrysler Hall and Scope will boost retail as well as entertainment crowds.

Edited by vdogg

And the odds are that, once again, history will repeat itself on the next run of the 407. Except that this time, the riot will be among Norfolk's neighbors fighting over the next leg of the light rail line.

^^^This article is so pro-light rail it almost sounds like it was written by one of us, lol.

It would be interesting to compare the negative reactions to light rail, to the negative reactions MacArthur Center recieved when it was in it's conceptual phase. I remember when the city hadn't even broken ground on Macarthur Center and so many people were livid about it and saying it would be a complete failure...tax burden, who's going to shop there...you know the usual. Just like now, you had detractors from outside of Norfolk railing against of things, a mall; even from outside of Virginia. That's the part that really perplexed me more than anything else. Again, you're seeing the same thing today against light rail. Bottom line, people's view of urban life and development needs to be updated and attitudes need to modernize, instead of resorting to tantrums everytime something has the potential to transform our comfort-cul de sac from mediocracy to something that stands out.