Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Linking DT to Town Center is a great start for VA Beach imo even if they can't completely go to the Oceanfront.

The proposal floated by Virginia Beach Vision in July was to go Newtown Road - Dome site. As the linked article says they're looking to endorse, I'd assume that's what they have in mind.

Midnight? I'm not even thinking about leaving the club until 2, and I usually go to the afterhours bars after that. Guess light rail on weekend nights is out for me. :lol:

My complaint is shutting down at 10 P.M. Monday-Thursday. That's too early for coming home from an Admirals or Tides game.

The proposal floated by Virginia Beach Vision in July was to go Newtown Road - Dome site. As the linked article says they're looking to endorse, I'd assume that's what they have in mind.

My complaint is shutting down at 10 P.M. Monday-Thursday. That's too early for coming home from an Admirals or Tides game.

Light Rail may extend hours of operation to support special events. Metro here in DC frequently changes hours of operation to accomadate special events such as marathons, fireworks, and protests.

Wright said that as a result of light rail, the city already has received one unsolicited proposal for developing land near Harbor Park. He would not provide details.

Ooh, this could be big. The wheels are turning on this one, I wonder what it could be. :)

At 220 million in private investment, they've pretty much already broke even b4 the thing is even built. I'm gonna try to show up to this groundbreaking if it's open to the public. Anyone know if you can just show up to the ceremony, or do you need to pre-register?

At 220 million in private investment, they've pretty much already broke even b4 the thing is even built. I'm gonna try to show up to this groundbreaking if it's open to the public. Anyone know if you can just show up to the ceremony, or do you need to pre-register?

You can just show up; that's why it's being advertised.

About 500 invitations were also sent, including one to me.

Midnight? I'm not even thinking about leaving the club until 2, and I usually go to the afterhours bars after that. Guess light rail on weekend nights is out for me. :lol:

Cabs run all night.

Light Rail may extend hours of operation to support special events. Metro here in DC frequently changes hours of operation to accomadate special events such as marathons, fireworks, and protests.

If those people make up a fairly significant number of users during that time (and I have to believe they will), I'll bet HRT expands for those events. We've already seen them expand for festivals at Town Point and other similar events.

Those will focus on construction issues (i.e. how it will impact the neighborhoods).

Any idea if the city has ironed out its differences with ingleside and NSU, or are they just going to ignore them and build it anyway? I'm quite partial to option B myself, but just curious. :)

Any idea if the city has ironed out its differences with ingleside and NSU, or are they just going to ignore them and build it anyway? I'm quite partial to option B myself, but just curious. :)

I haven't heard anything official, but I don't see how HRT could make major changes at this point.

Other than very general complaints that don't make any sense (like it will increase crime or destroy the ozone layer), what were the specific concerns, just for my understanding?

Other than very general complaints that don't make any sense (like it will increase crime or destroy the ozone layer), what were the specific concerns, just for my understanding?
Both NSU and ingleside residences were concerned about security. Ingleside residences don't want more crime brought to their neighborhood, and NSU doesn't want 2 stops and the storage facility on their campus due to "security concerns".

Both NSU and ingleside residences were concerned about security. Ingleside residences don't want more crime brought to their neighborhood, and NSU doesn't want 2 stops and the storage facility on their campus due to "security concerns".

I can understand how/why Ingleside residents may have misguided perceptions of the LR, but NSU? You can't tell me its administration hasn't had exposure to the plethora universities across the country which have transit stops in middle of their campuses. Inter-connection to the transit systems is a major selling points for many schools in NOVA/DC.

Edited by Case

The simulation video being shown at today's Groundbreaking was Option B.

The problem with changes now is that under the FFGA, all changes require FTA approval. It's unlikely the FTA would approve anything that would drop ridership (i.e. Ingleside) or threaten to do so (i.e. moving away from NSU).

The problem with changes now is that under the FFGA, all changes require FTA approval. It's unlikely the FTA would approve anything that would drop ridership (i.e. Ingleside) or threaten to do so (i.e. moving away from NSU).

What's option B?

Yeah, I was relieved to see that. :) They're gonna have to just suck it up now. I think once this thing gets built they will all realize that their concerns were unfounded.