Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Passing by on Tidewater drive I see that the light rail bridge is not under construction. It has begun. :)

Yellow crane?

I've seen it poping up east of downtown for a while now.

I thought it could be the construction for the bridge, but I didn't think it would start that far back...

Maybe I was just at a bad angle..

Yellow crane?

I've seen it poping up east of downtown for a while now.

I thought it could be the construction for the bridge, but I didn't think it would start that far back...

Maybe I was just at a bad angle..

Yep, it's the yellow crane area. Looks like they're driving piles as well.

from my angle, it seems close to ruffener....

Don't make me drive out there and take a picture. :lol:

The area that I have outlined with the blue diamond is the exact location of the yellow crane. Tidewater drive is the street to the left of the blue diamond.

workbeginsoverhead.jpg

Beginnings of light rail construction. It's still hard to believe this is actually happening, we've been dreaming about this since I first came on the forum.

Top notch!

I have a question. Does anyone know when LRT construction on Brambleton Ave bridge begins? Is that during or after the current bridge work? Seems to me that may come later, after the initial work around Harbor Park is completed.

Edited by Sky06

Top notch!

I have a question. Does anyone know when LRT construction on Brambleton Ave bridge begins? Is that during or after the current bridge work? Seems to me that may come later, after the initial work around Harbor Park is completed.

The following link provides a list of all of the bid packages for light rail that HRT has issued so far. Bids for the CBD civil work are due next Friday, January 25. Note that they combined part of the marine bridges bid package with the CBD package, so it's possible that the Brambleton Avenue bridge is part of the CBD package. If so, then award could come by March or April, and work could start shortly after that.

http://www.gohrt.com/aboutus/procurement/solicitations.html

Not to change the subject, but how much money do they think is contributed to public assistance and its failed programs? It would be interesting to know that figure (yearly figure) and mush that in their faces. I guess when you drive a Mercedes, push a bimmer, 3 door garages and white fences you can give a damn about public transportation. Fact is, people who will not ride the bus think its not efficient or think its lower than them....Yet they do not complain about buses. Buses were purchased just the same. Guess they thought it was a dumb idea to buy buses as well. Then it becomes really dumb when gas is 3 bucks a gallon, oh no, 340 I'm sure they use diesel fuel.

Also, NSU needs to suck it up and stop whining.

This, from the VP article, says everything you need to know.....

Another of NSU's issues was the curb appeal of the rail maintenance yard, which is visible from the president's house. The city is proposing an enhancement of the original design with a more elaborate and costly one.

NSU spokeswoman Sharon Hoggard said the university was not aware of the changes.

"We're happy the light rail project listened to Norfolk State's concerns and is trying to work out our differences," she said.

Norfolk State whining about curb appeal. I guess they haven't walked through half of the buildings or the trash that is all over the campus. They have trailers for police station but they are worried about curb appeal. What a joke

Are they going to try to push the city to tear down the ghetto townhouses by the campus too?

To be honest this sounds like someone is on a power trip and trip to show that they can influence things. That university is really poorly ran and they are worried about this. Crime is high on the campus too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I've been visiting Urban Planet for a few months but this is my first post. I absolutely love this forum. It's a great way to keep myself informed of what's going on in Hampton Roads. I actually plan on majoring in Urban Studies when I go back to school, so this serves as a great outlet. The Tide is my most revered project in this area. It's one of the key components of stimulating urban growth and transforming Norfolk and eventually the whole region into one with a useable and efficient transit system. I am VERY excited about this! As for its progress, I drove past the construction today and there are numerous (4 or more) cranes on the site. Before the elevated section begins, on the opposite side of Harbor Park, it looks like they have the foundation in place to lay down the curved section of rail. As for the bridge section, there's at least one completed set of concrete supports for the elevated track. This project is really moving along! :D

Hey everyone! I've been visiting Urban Planet for a few months but this is my first post. I absolutely love this forum. It's a great way to keep myself informed of what's going on in Hampton Roads. I actually plan on majoring in Urban Studies when I go back to school, so this serves as a great outlet. The Tide is my most revered project in this area. It's one of the key components of stimulating urban growth and transforming Norfolk and eventually the whole region into one with a useable and efficient transit system. I am VERY excited about this! As for its progress, I drove past the construction today and there are numerous (4 or more) cranes on the site. Before the elevated section begins, on the opposite side of Harbor Park, it looks like they have the foundation in place to lay down the curved section of rail. As for the bridge section, there's at least one completed set of concrete supports for the elevated track. This project is really moving along! :D

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks vdogg and okinawa. Would anyone happen to know which version of the Siemens S70 model we're supposed get? The Tide website shows one identical to the LYNX in Charlotte, but I've also seen the sleeker, more aerodynamic version used in Houston with the 'The Tide' design on it. I hope it's like the one in Houston. The other one is too boxy in my opinion.

Thanks vdogg and okinawa. Would anyone happen to know which version of the Siemens S70 model we're supposed get? The Tide website shows one identical to the LYNX in Charlotte, but I've also seen the sleeker, more aerodynamic version used in Houston with the 'The Tide' design on it. I hope it's like the one in Houston. The other one is too boxy in my opinion.

We're piggybacking on Charlotte's order, so it will be "identical to the LYNX in Charlotte."