Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Rusthebuss, I am not trying to be funny or anything so please do not take this the wrong way. When you were laying cable were you in Board of Vistors meetings? Where do you get your information? Not trying to be funny just want to know?

No but i was around alot of people that told us about how money just disappears. I talked to the police chief and they said they had the money for a brand new building. The money disappeared and all the sudden the previous chief was fired. We would win a contract to do a building and the money would disappear.

(rusthebuss @ Mar 25 2008, 09:09 AM)

No but i was around alot of people that told us about how money just disappears. I talked to the police chief and they said they had the money for a brand new building. The money disappeared and all the sudden the previous chief was fired. We would win a contract to do a building and the money would disappear.

How reliable were these people and what information were they using? How could a University allow money to just go missing and the State of Virginia not question what is happening? That makes the state look bad to keep giving one of its institutions money and not have ways to account for it.

NSU board of visitors voices concerns

This one includes a video.

Has construction really "hit a snag" or is this another example of poor journalism. Have they stopped anything? I have my doubts.

As for NSU, get them on board. But if they delay things or fight HRT, leave the stop off the loop. I gurantee the students will be p-o'd. And the BOV will look stupid.

As for NSU, get them on board. But if they delay things or fight HRT, leave the stop off the loop. I gurantee the students will be p-o'd. And the BOV will look stupid.

I would love to be able to do that, but that would hurt rather than help the situation. They're already considering dropping the Ingleside stop due to opposition, you add NSU to that and we have big problems. We drop two stops and not only is the project no longer viable, but I fear the Feds may have something to say as well (such as revisiting the funding situation). We need to find a solution to this, even if it means taking them to court.

Petty bs like this is the reason why NSU is perceived the way it is in regards to this project

The alterations "indicate a strong willingness to work with us on our concerns," Vassar said. "We're very pleased this is happening, but we still have a few more concerns."

He declined to elaborate, saying the issues still need to be aired with officials.

Why on God's green earth would there be issues that have yet to be aired on literally the eve of construction?! The time for grievances was months and/or years ago, and the idea that they're withholding additional concerns makes them look petty, uncoordinated and downright stupid. This politicking crap has got to stop.

I would like to know where can I find the information which proves NSU is "pissing away" all thier money. I am not trying to defend NSU just because I am a NSU grad I just want to read the information to be more informed.

I'm not trying to harp on Norfolk State, all government agencies have some kind of waste and Norfolk State provides a valuable service for the community, but these outrageous actions by the leadership of Norfolk State, especially considering the stakes with this project, have people understandably upset. A few examples of Norfolk State financial mismanagement I can think of the top of my head is the recent 200,000+ "renovation" of the President's home, a recent audit among exposing among other things NSU had not collected millions of dollars in tuition from students, and had students attending the school for free for years, and the total mismanagement of the RISE Project, especially since it has come to light they pretty much didn't use any minority contractors. Info on these incidents can easily be googled.

Edited by VAGATOR

I am not finding students attending NSU for free. I remember ODU spending $180,000 for carpet in the president house (the one beofre Runte) and NSU asking for $200,000 to renovate the president house after Wilson but, I can not find the articles.

What was the problem with the RISE Center? Can you please give me a link?

It took Norfolk about 20 years to realize its dream to build light rail.

Now Portsmouth leaders are gazing 100 years into the future, hoping to bring light rail under the Elizabeth River to their city and eventually out to western Tidewater

This is kind of misleading. While it may take 100 years for a full regional system to be realized, it's only going to take 4 for the tunnel to be built (I think they're starting in 2012). That's well within our lifetimes. I can't wait to see the comments on the pilot however from people to who fail to see this point.

Baffling hold up on light rail at NSU

At this late date and with light rail construction crews already at work, Norfolk State University has mystifyingly reopened issues settled years ago.

The university appears at once alarmist and flighty. Officials have questioned whether two proposed stations will threaten safety - even though the urban school is an open campus, accessible to anybody. Bus stops near the school don't inspire fear; why should light rail?

This is a great editorial that really takes NSU to task for their behavior as of late. It pretty much expresses the way i've felt about the recent hold up, even if I haven't had the eloquence to put it in those terms.

But still, NSU quakes at the prospect of more convenient commuting, like suburban activists worried about what bike paths will bring.

:lol:

This is kind of misleading. While it may take 100 years for a full regional system to be realized, it's only going to take 4 for the tunnel to be built (I think they're starting in 2012). That's well within our lifetimes. I can't wait to see the comments on the pilot however from people to who fail to see this point.

You're right. I was half-expecting to see comments on that as well. But refreshingly, only 1 comment was negative. All the rest put that guy in his place. I just wish P-Town, VB, and the Peninsula cities had had the foresight to jump on board earlier. We'd probably be well down that regional network road by now. But I guess better late than never.

Ughh, Greenmun can get a tad annoying at times. I used to think he was just against light rail in VB, but it appears he's against light rail everywhere. He doesn't even live in Portsmouth. Henry, I know you've had some personal dealings with him, can you explain to me exactly what is the issue his group has with light rail in general? I've never been able to pin down exactly what their position is.

But refreshingly, only 1 comment was negative. All the rest put that guy in his place.

Wow, you're right. It's always when i'm just about to lose faith in this area when that little glimmer of hope shines on through. I've never seen so many comments from people actually supportive on transit in a pilot comments section. Maybe this area really is starting to "get it".

I am not finding students attending NSU for free. I remember ODU spending $180,000 for carpet in the president house (the one beofre Runte) and NSU asking for $200,000 to renovate the president house after Wilson but, I can not find the articles.

What was the problem with the RISE Center? Can you please give me a link?

As of June 30, 2003, student tuition and fees account receivable balances equaled $6.8 million or

6 percent of the University

Portsmouth sees light rail hub at the end of its tunnel

If this thing gets legs, I may create a separate Portsmouth light rail thread in the future.

I was at the TDCHR (i.e. HRT's Board) meeting this afternoon. Mayor Holley was absent, but Portsmouth City Manager Kenneth Chandler was sitting two seats to my left. I congratulated him on Portsmouth entering.

Ughh, Greenmun can get a tad annoying at times. I used to think he was just against light rail in VB, but it appears he's against light rail everywhere. He doesn't even live in Portsmouth. Henry, I know you've had some personal dealings with him, can you explain to me exactly what is the issue his group has with light rail in general? I've never been able to pin down exactly what their position is.

Reid and I sat together on the CCO's Executive Committee from 2002-04. Ironically, he was the one who recruited me to the CCO. (I'm still with Virginia Beach's civic league federation.) There are a few different angles with Greenmun and light rail:

1. He and his cohorts believe it's part of a conspiracy to make us more dependent on government, change voting patterns, bring in minority residents (who tend to vote Democratic), etc.

2. Reid only cares about the person he sees in the mirror. Since he doesn't want to use light rail, he opposes it.

3. The company Reid works for (DCS Corporation) used to be in the transit systems business. He was once involved in planning a transit system for Virginia Beach that included an elevated and automated personal transit network. Given that background, he's of the mindset that only an elevated and automated system could work.

Portsmouth sees light rail hub at the end of its tunnel

If this thing gets legs, I may create a separate Portsmouth light rail thread in the future.

Im curious to see where Portsmouth's Light Rail route would run. It would make sense to have a stop at old town, downtown, and Naval hospital, maybe naval shipyard too. However, these stops would require the train to essentially backtrack. Wouldnt it make more sense to send it through the downtown tunnel? Then it could potentially be split into a Chesapeake route and a Portsmouth route like 264 and 464. You want the stops to service the most populous areas, whether it be residential, commercial or industrial.

Got this construction update in my email. Just thought i'd share.

Construction Update - Holt Street

The work on Holt Street is winding down and preparations are being made to reopen the street. Holt Street is between Park Avenue and Tidewater Drive and is heavily used by residents, Ruffner Academy students, and downtown commuters who park at Harbor Park.

Construction contractors are in the final stages of preparing the roadway and concrete sidewalk along Holt Street. On March 31, 2008, the street will reopen and remain open throughout the summer months. In the fall, Holt Street will close once more to complete the last phases of construction. The last piece of construction work will include building the first 9 spans of the light rail bridge.

As we move closer to opening day for the Norfolk Tides on April 3rd, Holt Street will provide easy access to Harbor Park from Tidewater Drive during the 2008 baseball season.

What