Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Got a few questions for you folks in the know: How close will the Harbor Park station be to the Elizabeth River? Is having a ferry stop near the HP station feasible? How much of a walk would that be? I think that adding a new ferry stop near Harbor Park would be a good idea, as it might get some more traffic from Portsmouth people.

Edited by jeffconn

Got a few questions for you folks in the know: How close will the Harbor Park station be to the Elizabeth River? Is having a ferry stop near the HP station feasible? How much of a walk would that be? I think that adding a new ferry stop near Harbor Park would be a good idea, as it might get some more traffic from Portsmouth people.

The ferry stops at Harbor Park during Tides games. I'd be surprised if HRT decided to stop there at other times. you'd have to walk from Waterside, and it's probably just as close to walk to the Kirn stop.

Pretty cool depiction of LRT vehicle on page 27 of Capital Improvement Program of budget report:

I actually like the dark blue design with the tide logo on the side better. This one makes it look like an oversized HRT bus. I'm hoping that's an older rendering.

From what I can see, there's significant progress in the construction. Work is being done (or soon will be) at Broad Creek, the smaller creek closer to downtown, and especially west of NSU. I never see anybody out there, but the work's getting done.

From what I can see, there's significant progress in the construction. Work is being done (or soon will be) at Broad Creek, the smaller creek closer to downtown, and especially west of NSU. I never see anybody out there, but the work's getting done.

take some pics?

take some pics?

If you go to HRT's web page and click on developments and go to the Tide's page, they have finally updated their photos. Great photos of the bridge ties being placed over Park Ave. They are starting to really pick up steam. Also some photos of the wetlands mitigation involved with the project (not as interesting). You can access the photos here.

When I was in Norfolk around the 4th of July, I did not get a chance to see or photograph any of the Light Rail construction. It looks like from the photos that this segment is right near Harbor Park or Norfolk State am I correct? Are they building light rail one segment at a time or are they building different segments simultaneously?

Hello I'm new here but I was wondering about how the light rail will actually work. Just a few easy questions I hope.

So first the current line running through norfolk is only one "lane" so does that mean that there is only one train on the track at any one time or are they building the stations so that the trains pass each other at the stops? Then the second semi-related question would be what happens when the trains get to the end of the tracks? Are they going to reverse or are they building the track past the last stops to make a turn? (I would hope that they don't build a turn at Newtown and then it be useless when Virginia Beach finally signs on to the project.) Thanks a lot.

Hello I'm new here but I was wondering about how the light rail will actually work. Just a few easy questions I hope.

So first the current line running through norfolk is only one "lane" so does that mean that there is only one train on the track at any one time or are they building the stations so that the trains pass each other at the stops? Then the second semi-related question would be what happens when the trains get to the end of the tracks? Are they going to reverse or are they building the track past the last stops to make a turn? (I would hope that they don't build a turn at Newtown and then it be useless when Virginia Beach finally signs on to the project.) Thanks a lot.

Actually there are 2 tracks going down the same line. More than one train can run at once. One day they will build the tracks past the Newtown road termination point but until then I think they just reverse for the return trip, but I could definitely be wrong on that point.

When I was in Norfolk around the 4th of July, I did not get a chance to see or photograph any of the Light Rail construction. It looks like from the photos that this segment is right near Harbor Park or Norfolk State am I correct? Are they building light rail one segment at a time or are they building different segments simultaneously?

They are building different segments at the same time. You are correct that this is near harbor park and NSU. Work is currently already started on the new bridge towards newtown, and I believe work should be starting soon on the new bridge from fort norfolk area towards brambleton. By december work should be going or half done on all areas of the route.

• 3 weeks later...

You would think this area was Beverly Hills east the way their residents go on and on. They need to get it through their thick skulls the "undesirables" aren't going to ride light rail to pillage their community and escape.

Edited by VAGATOR

What is funnier is there is an Ingleside in LA, and it's always mentioned as being the bad area in the rap songs. I think it was mentioned in Ice Cube's Today is a Good Day.

That's Inglewood. And it is not mentioned in that song (Ice Cube is from South Central L.A.), but in "California Love" by Tupac. "Inglewood, yeah Inglewood always up to no good." Or Dr. Dre's "Next Episode," "Clip in the strap, dippin through hoods (what hoods?) Compton, Long Beach, Inglewood!" Just FYI ;)

What is funnier is there is an Ingleside in LA, and it's always mentioned as being the bad area in the rap songs. I think it was mentioned in Ice Cube's Today is a Good Day.

Man if only that POS was Maglev.

Ice Cube...Ghetto Bird. "I hit the gas and I mashed past Inglewood...I think I drove through every single hood"....Damn Superchickens! Word.