Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

with the amount of military activity in the region, I think the federal government owes Hampton Roads to help foot the bill for the cost of light rail throughout the region. Still I think the connection to the Oceanfront, NOB, and the airport are going to be the keys to success for light rail to work in the region.

with the amount of military activity in the region, I think the federal government owes Hampton Roads to help foot the bill for the cost of light rail throughout the region. Still I think the connection to the Oceanfront, NOB, and the airport are going to be the keys to success for light rail to work in the region.

I agree with you on that one urbanlife. The sucess of LR in this area in the future will be convenience. If it becomes just as easy to get somewhere with LR as it does driving then more people will use it.

In the Future, Southside LR needs to go to:

ODU

NOB

Norfolk Airport

VB oceanfront

Town Center

Lynnhaven Mall area

Ampitheater

DT Portsmouth/Ntelos Pavillion

NNSY

Greenbriar Mall area

SoNo area (would greatly help it's redevelopment)

There are more I'm sure.

I agree with the LRT becoming a success once an NOB line is established.

I live in Greenbrier when I come home from college in the summers/breaks, and worked with NAVFAC this past summer on Base. The daily commute is treacherous at times, (just thankful I'm the only schmuck who doesn't go through the Midtown via Hampton Blvd. in the afternoons...), and I really think with the NOB being HR's largest employer, the LRT is well overdue. I tried taking the HRT Bus line (Rt. 22 - GB Mall - OB) a few times over the summer and it's really convenient, but takes a very long time. This past week, I've worked on Base to earn some extra cash, and I've noticed the traffic is somewhat worse than the summers, but this is most likely due to Norfolk being torn apart right now. Nonetheless, upon graduation, if I decide to remain in my beloved HR, I'd love to rent an apartment in beautiful Ghent, and take the LRT to work everyday. I'm really excited about Norfolk right now and only hope that more smart infrastructure can be implemented not just here, but all over the region.

I agree with you on that one urbanlife. The sucess of LR in this area in the future will be convenience. If it becomes just as easy to get somewhere with LR as it does driving then more people will use it.

ODU

NOB

Norfolk Airport

VB oceanfront

Town Center

Lynnhaven Mall area

Ampitheater

NNSY

Greenbriar Mall area

There are more I'm sure."

I agree that LRT needs to go to as many places of employment as possible, all of these are possibilities . However, be careful not to just "think up" populated places for LRT to go without considering the feasbility of providing the infrastructure. As I explore this more and more I'm forced to consider how the region will function once LRT is here. LRT is most feasible along already existing rail lines, like the NS route, and the rail lines still in use. There is one which could stem off the current line between the Ingleside station and Brambleton station...this line goes all the way to NOB. Although the rail is in use, it can be investigated to see if a line can be built alongside. An old line goes to the airport as well.

But, it seems to me that a line going to lynnhaven would not work; although lynnhaven is a highly traffic'd and popular place. It seems the density just isn't there like Town Center, ODU, NOB, or Downtown. Plus the route would require ripping up so much just to get there, I don't think the end result would justify the mean, or cost. Now, spurring a route off of town center over 264 and past Mt. Trashmore and down S. Independence would cut into the heart of Virginia Beach's working class, high density, military living. Plus the median is big enough to fit a LRT line, not to mention there's even more space on one side of the road to allow for road expansion. But most importantly the housing is dense and mixed-income. The elements together make it feasible in my opinion, at least to investigate. This may also save Green Run from eventually falling into urban decay 20 years from....any thoughts???

Edited by mlsimons

One of the big issues is they need to find a way to connect the Pennisula with the southside

oh yes, if somehow in the next 10 years (maybe thru Obama's wave of infrastructure improvements, maybe. Or even thru private infrastructure development) if somehow the 3rd crossing was realized which included a rail line, plus the midtown expansion with rail, and possibly a HRBT expansion.

Not to mention Jordan bridge, and light rail to the Oceanfront.

If all these were accomplish, which are all on the table right now, then we would without a doubt see an economic explosion opposite to that of white flight and suburban sprawl. Which would truely diversify our region and bring sound economic stability. Which means we weather economic storms and keep or easily shift our jobs should a major recession occur or even an unforseen energy crunch or military crusade.

These are all possiblities/realities which would change our way of living. Hopefully for an adaptable better. I don't want to upset the old timers who never want the area to change, but I must confess that economic diversity and sustainability are GOOD. And I think should be a priority, not something to fear.

Remember DC before the metro, or how bout America before the interstate system...I mention this to say, although its hard to see a change before it occurs, real infrastructure change is possible and we have seen it before and reaped its benefits as well. We should be ready to embrace it in our region now.

oh yes, if somehow in the next 10 years (maybe thru Obama's wave of infrastructure improvements, maybe. Or even thru private infrastructure development) if somehow the 3rd crossing was realized which included a rail line, plus the midtown expansion with rail, and possibly a HRBT expansion.

Not to mention Jordan bridge, and light rail to the Oceanfront.

If all these were accomplish, which are all on the table right now, then we would without a doubt see an economic explosion opposite to that of white flight and suburban sprawl. Which would truely diversify our region and bring sound economic stability. Which means we weather economic storms and keep or easily shift our jobs should a major recession occur or even an unforseen energy crunch or military crusade.

These are all possiblities/realities which would change our way of living. Hopefully for an adaptable better. I don't want to upset the old timers who never want the area to change, but I must confess that economic diversity and sustainability are GOOD. And I think should be a priority, not something to fear.

Remember DC before the metro, or how bout America before the interstate system...I mention this to say, although its hard to see a change before it occurs, real infrastructure change is possible and we have seen it before and reaped its benefits as well. We should be ready to embrace it in our region now.

I really hope you are not counting on Obama for this to happen. There is no way that he is going to pull us out of debt like he claims and keep spending massive amount of money. These so called bailouts are just driving us further down in debt. He contradicts himself with tax breaks and more spending. They should have let the market correct itself.

I really hope you are not counting on Obama for this to happen. There is no way that he is going to pull us out of debt like he claims and keep spending massive amount of money. These so called bailouts are just driving us further down in debt. He contradicts himself with tax breaks and more spending. They should have let the market correct itself.

I'm gonna help Vdogg out and refrain from responding to rus's obsession with Obama's inevitable failure and remind everyone to stick on the topic at hand, which is not short-term increase in national debt vs. decade long recessions, but simply Norfolk's light rail.

Light rail is awesome, let's continue talking about THAT! ^_^

I'm gonna help Vdogg out and refrain from responding to rus's obsession with Obama's inevitable failure and remind everyone to stick on the topic at hand, which is not short-term increase in national debt vs. decade long recessions, but simply Norfolk's light rail.

Light rail is awesome, let's continue talking about THAT! ^_^

So you admit that the recession started in the last 2 years of Clinton! I agree totally! and don't forget about 911

...anyways, so hopefully we can see a wave of infrastructure improvements thru [name we can't speak of] that will totally change our region, and I hope light rail is in the forefront.

If not, understandable, many times these things are controlled by macro-forces. However, we must have our ducks in a row if we are ever to receive federal funds for these vital projects.

I will add, that yes the NS line that runs all the way to VB would make sense for the initial line, but future lines do not need to be on existing rail lines. The plus about light rail is the word light. Thus means that the cost of new tracks isnt that expensive. The major cost is the stations. When you start thinking of potential lines, start thinking of large roads and roads that have room on their shoulders for expansion.

ODU

NOB

Norfolk Airport

VB oceanfront

Town Center

Lynnhaven Mall area

Ampitheater

NNSY

Greenbriar Mall area

There are more I'm sure.

I agree with you. I think light rail must be expanded to every city in hampton roads and truly be a regional system with the buses and trains all in sync. Without it i dont think it will be that succesful. I know if there was a stop near my house i would definately ride the tide but im not going to drive to a park and ride and then ride. Its more like an attraction. But I wonder how long it will take to get light rail to all of these destinations.? Is HRT even thinking about it?

I agree with you. I think light rail must be expanded to every city in hampton roads and truly be a regional system with the buses and trains all in sync. Without it i dont think it will be that succesful. I know if there was a stop near my house i would definately ride the tide but im not going to drive to a park and ride and then ride. Its more like an attraction. But I wonder how long it will take to get light rail to all of these destinations.? Is HRT even thinking about it?

The problem is you have to get so many different cities on board. Its not like on city and maybe 2 counties to work with. You have around 7 municipalities to get on board. Thats the real problem with this region. Too many chiefs trying to be the lead chief.

The problem is you have to get so many different cities on board. Its not like on city and maybe 2 counties to work with. You have around 7 municipalities to get on board. Thats the real problem with this region. Too many chiefs trying to be the lead chief.

Yeah true. But hasn't portsmouth expressed the want for light rail, and virginia beach is coming soon i believe. Oh and newport news tried, right? So that only leaves chesapeake and suffolk. And im not even sure it should go to suffolk.

Well do you think they will be able to expand this 7 mile starter line to all of the cities?

We should but we have some huge obsticals that other regions are not dealing with. Thats waterways that is used by ships that would require tunnels. This adds huge amount on cost of our expansions. Only time will tell