Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Yes, excellent video...great energy, love the music!

I can't understand for the life of me, what the big issue these VaPilot Naysayers really have with Light Rail. It's obvious that it worked in Charlotte. Even if they never use it. Why not just let it go? Why are they so focused on preventing it from occuring?

There will be very little to no eminent domain b/c its being laid on an existing NS line. This should be reason enough. It will be mostly paid by federal funds, if approved. Why would someone be against infrastructure? These guys really get me going.

It seems like they are against progress, which to me is unAmerican....A nation founded on sky high dreams!

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, its being built and these "naysayers" will not be able to interfere with it. Just get used to it, and ignore them. There are naysayers everywhere in life. I used to get all roiled up about people like that who naysay to a good project that will do good, but i have leaned that its pointless, so let them naysay. In a few years when the line is a hit and we are building lines all over Hampton Roads we can look back and laugh.

Did anyone catch this Opinion article by Kerry Dougherty in the Pilot? The last bit of the column referring to Councilman Randy Wright is disturbing!

How can you be a champion for light rail and say something like this!?! Light rail's main purpose is to provide mass transportation thus it is a means to reduce traffic congestion. The economic engine is a secondary benefit resulting from light rail. If you tell people you're building light rail to jump start economic development in Hampton Roads, you're totally missing the point of light rail. I bet we didn't tell the federal government we wanted light rail to drive the economy, no we said it was a transportation solution. Coming from a person who sits on the Hampton Roads Regional Transit Board, who is the Chair of the Virginia Commission on Transportation in Urban Areas, Chair of the Transit Board Members of North America...how can you not "sell" light rail as a transportation fix. Light rail is a transportation solution and of all people, Randy Wright should know better!

Referendum, please, before Beach commits to light rail

Edited by vtfan18

Did anyone catch this Opinion article by Kerry Dougherty in the Pilot? The last bit of the column referring to Councilman Randy Wright is disturbing!

How can you be a champion for light rail and say something like this!?! Light rail's main purpose is to provide mass transportation thus it is a means to reduce traffic congestion. The economic engine is a secondary benefit resulting from light rail. If you tell people you're building light rail to jump start economic development in Hampton Roads, you're totally missing the point of light rail. I bet we didn't tell the federal government we wanted light rail to drive the economy, no we said it was a transportation solution. Coming from a person who sits on the Hampton Roads Regional Transit Board, who is the Chair of the Virginia Commission on Transportation in Urban Areas, Chair of the Transit Board Members of North America...how can you not "sell" light rail as a transportation fix. Light rail is a transportation solution and of all people, Randy Wright should know better!

Referendum, please, before Beach commits to light rail

Kerry Dougherty is heavily tied to the VBTA. Their agenda is therefore hers and she uses her position at the pilot to push it every chance she gets. I stopped reading her columns a long time ago as it became hard to tell where opinion ended and propaganda began. That said, Mr. Wright should know better than to give his opponents so much ammo.

Kerry Dougherty is heavily tied to the VBTA. Their agenda is therefore hers and she uses her position at the pilot to push it every chance she gets. I stopped reading her columns a long time ago as it became hard to tell where opinion ended and propaganda began. That said, Mr. Wright should know better than to give his opponents so much ammo.

In my tenth grade high school class, every two weeks our teacher would have us read a kerry Daugherty column. He used it as an example of how to NOT write an unbias opinion piece. He would then have us all e-mail her our critiques of her column and how to improve her writing. Remember, this was from a tenth grade English class every two weeks! At one point, she sent our teacher a response to one of his e-mails with some pretty harsh words for him and our class.

I never really cared then who Kerry Daugherty was or really what her opinions were about, but now rereading what she has to say, I am glad my teacher did all of that. I called my little sister the other day to find out if he still does that (she had him last year) but she said they didn't. It's too bad that all stopped, but I guess it never stopped her anyway.

That being said, Councilman Wright saying it won't help congestion may have been the single dumbest thing anyone could have said about lightrail. Especially since it is such a hot topic, his comment even left my saying to myself "then what was the point of it!" Now, I am all for TOD, but not alleviating congestion means people won't use it, thus TOD would never occur anyway. He really should choose his words better.

In my tenth grade high school class, every two weeks our teacher would have us read a kerry Daugherty column. He used it as an example of how to NOT write an unbias opinion piece. He would then have us all e-mail her our critiques of her column and how to improve her writing. Remember, this was from a tenth grade English class every two weeks! At one point, she sent our teacher a response to one of his e-mails with some pretty harsh words for him and our class.

I never really cared then who Kerry Daugherty was or really what her opinions were about, but now rereading what she has to say, I am glad my teacher did all of that. I called my little sister the other day to find out if he still does that (she had him last year) but she said they didn't. It's too bad that all stopped, but I guess it never stopped her anyway.

That being said, Councilman Wright saying it won't help congestion may have been the single dumbest thing anyone could have said about lightrail. Especially since it is such a hot topic, his comment even left my saying to myself "then what was the point of it!" Now, I am all for TOD, but not alleviating congestion means people won't use it, thus TOD would never occur anyway. He really should choose his words better.

What is an unbias opinion piece?

10th graders giving a professional writing advice? How many in that class write for the VP now?

Last I checked, Kerry is still drawing a paycheck.

Right Chesapeake Pirate, all opinions are biased.

Also, the newspaper is written at a low English level. I've seen a few things that I thought were errors (or strange), and upon further investigation found that the Pilot was correct.

I do remember Dave Addis though, I thought his column was cool.

As you may know I post a TON on the Pilot. Honestly, there is only 4 websites I really ever visit (here, there, craigs and the housing bubble blog). The long process of moderation is painful. They moderate very heavily. They are way bent on trying to keep things neutral.

Friends point out in the crime stories, they often leave out details regarding suspects. Aka, they won't say the bad guy was black, even tho he robbed a bank. They will give clothing descriptions, but not skin color. Other sources will give details.

But what can you do.

It's a newspaper, today's story is forgotten tomorrow.

Ok, so in my methods of urban planning class today, taught by the Chesapeake comprehensive planning director, she brought in some maps of the region. One was a comprehensive 2026 plan. Which was mostly a zoning guide. I noticed on it a rail line entited "mass transit" with two spurs. I asked her after class and she confirmed the city is making plans for a light rail line to connect at harbor park and go through South Norfolk, spliting between the jordan bridge and the high rise bridge and continuing towards Western Branch. The other split goes between Battlefield and Greenbriar. These line are both along an existing rail corridor that she claimed would easily be expanded to accomodate the light rail. Although she mentioned that after a certain point the rail would change from light rail into a commuter rail (heavy rail capable of higher speeds) which was mapped to continue into North Carolina. Everything was clearly expressed on the map. Futhermore, she discussed the option of High Speed rail, which was not mapped out, but she seemed to be hopeful for in the future. The high speed commuter rail would extend west out to Suffolk/Isle of Wight and would connect with the light rail system at Bower's Hill.

This was all very refreshing to hear coming from the city planning director, in addition to seeing it tangibly mapped out in front of me. She knows that the public is not ready to be informed on all the future plans and calls the light rail an incremental implemented project. Which allows the public to get used the changes as they occur, even though they are being planned far in advanced.

Ok, so in my methods of urban planning class today, taught by the Chesapeake comprehensive planning director, she brought in some maps of the region. One was a comprehensive 2026 plan. Which was mostly a zoning guide. I noticed on it a rail line entited "mass transit" with two spurs. I asked her after class and she confirmed the city is making plans for a light rail line to connect at harbor park and go through South Norfolk, spliting between the jordan bridge and the high rise bridge and continuing towards Western Branch. The other split goes between Battlefield and Greenbriar. These line are both along an existing rail corridor that she claimed would easily be expanded to accomodate the light rail. Although she mentioned that after a certain point the rail would change from light rail into a commuter rail (heavy rail capable of higher speeds) which was mapped to continue into North Carolina. Everything was clearly expressed on the map. Futhermore, she discussed the option of High Speed rail, which was not mapped out, but she seemed to be hopeful for in the future. The high speed commuter rail would extend west out to Suffolk/Isle of Wight and would connect with the light rail system at Bower's Hill.

This was all very refreshing to hear coming from the city planning director, in addition to seeing it tangibly mapped out in front of me. She knows that the public is not ready to be informed on all the future plans and calls the light rail an incremental implemented project. Which allows the public to get used the changes as they occur, even though they are being planned far in advanced.

Great news. Too bad 2026 is in 17 years!

Often times cities are planned well past what we will ever live to see.

You just made me depressed :(

Also they need a light rail line to the naval station and the airport, as well as the Virginia Beach newtown>town center> oceanfront route. And eventually over a third crossing to the peninsula

Portsmouth is considering building a new tunnel or adding another tube to the midtown tunnel and making the new tube mutlimodal so it can continue the light rail network on their side. I read this somewhere but i cannot remember where. It probably won't happnen for a while now though..

It would be great.

Portsmouth is considering building a new tunnel or adding another tube to the midtown tunnel and making the new tube mutlimodal so it can continue the light rail network on their side. I read this somewhere but i cannot remember where. It probably won't happnen for a while now though..

It would be great.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/04/intriguing...-midtown-tunnel

It might not be too far away..

D.C. has been adding to their metro for 30 years with an additional 15-20 years worth of projects in the pipeline at various stages of approval. A lot of folks are under the misconception that light rail will just be built and that's it. Those of us discussing this in this thread will not live to see the full total of a Hampton Roads light rail system "completed". New York's mass transit system has been in various stages of construction and upgrade for about 100 years and they're still adding if that tells you anything.

D.C. has been adding to their metro for 30 years with an additional 15-20 years worth of projects in the pipeline at various stages of approval. A lot of folks are under the misconception that light rail will just be built and that's it. Those of us discussing this in this thread will not live to see the full total of a Hampton Roads light rail system "completed". New York's mass transit system has been in various stages of construction and upgrade for about 100 years and they're still adding if that tells you anything.

Yeah NY is adding a 7th ave. line and a 2nd ave. line and are in serious needs of upgrades. Mass transit is a never ending struggle to build and build to accomodate everyone. Eventually we'll have the same problems here (i mean that in a good way) but like you said, not in our lifetime. At least we are on teh frontier and pioneers for the area with dreams and visions to look forward to and not like people stuck in Tyson's corner who just have to sit and complain everyday about not having a line yet.

But we will probably see the v.a beach line, the chesapeake line, and the peninsula line..

that is also on the Chesapeake 2050 Master Transportation Plan > http://cityofchesapeake.net/services/depar...MTP_adopted.pdf