Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where to put this but..

http://www.norfolkdevelopment.com/INITIATIVES/downtown.cfmt.gif

New Downtown Projects 2009

Market Square - Complete waist of space IMO. I know LRT is going through there, but we got rid of an important building forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "green space" in the middle of downtown. They should have left the green space for St. Pauls..

I'll try to pull this discussion away from "Off Topic" and back to the Light Rail thread.

Market Square is the ideal plan for the light rail station at the Kirn site. Here's why. . .

HRT is strapped for cash because of light rail. If they built a building there, it would probably be underwhelming. If the city builds something there, they would be spending taxpayer dollars, and they would probably botch the project. Either way, once they build it, it is there forever (well, at least for a couple of generations).

What makes Market Square so great is that it is so disposable. A bunch of tents, kiosks, and sidewalks. Unlike a building, no one would care if they get torn down and thrown away, and there is no big capital investment lost. Once light rail is up and running and successful, some developer will realize he can get higher than average rents if he offers his tenants access to light rail without them even leaving the building. He will pay the city for air-rights for the site and build a real building, one we will be proud of, and pay taxes on the property instead of spending taxpayer dollars.

The same can be said for other light rail stations, like Ingleside and Newtown. They are throw-aways. Eventually, developers will build office buildings there and incorporate light rail into the ground floor amenities. It will take time, but it will happen. Be patient.

I'll try to pull this discussion away from "Off Topic" and back to the Light Rail thread.

Market Square is the ideal plan for the light rail station at the Kirn site. Here's why. . .

HRT is strapped for cash because of light rail. If they built a building there, it would probably be underwhelming. If the city builds something there, they would be spending taxpayer dollars, and they would probably botch the project. Either way, once they build it, it is there forever (well, at least for a couple of generations).

What makes Market Square so great is that it is so disposable. A bunch of tents, kiosks, and sidewalks. Unlike a building, no one would care if they get torn down and thrown away, and there is no big capital investment lost. Once light rail is up and running and successful, some developer will realize he can get higher than average rents if he offers his tenants access to light rail without them even leaving the building. He will pay the city for air-rights for the site and build a real building, one we will be proud of, and pay taxes on the property instead of spending taxpayer dollars.

The same can be said for other light rail stations, like Ingleside and Newtown. They are throw-aways. Eventually, developers will build office buildings there and incorporate light rail into the ground floor amenities. It will take time, but it will happen. Be patient.

That site also has a blurry rendering of the new library. Looks pretty cool incorporating the old building with new construction.

That site also has a blurry rendering of the new library. Looks pretty cool incorporating the old building with new construction.

Anyone notice the 'Hoffler' development under the topic of development along lightrail. I remember that being a decently designed and tall building. maybe that is still in the works once the economy picks up?

I really hope our trains and stations look as nice as they do in Charlotte.. And hope our ridership is as high as there's.. But i don't think it will be..

I think the Tide will have the same trains made by Siemens. They'll have different color schemes of course, and the stations will be different. Charlotte went with the more modern look, Norfolk seems to be going for more traditional stations. I personally wish our stations were more modern, but Norfolk thinks it has an identity as a column and pediment kinda place. :rolleyes:

We'll see how it all comes together... I'm getting more optimistic and excited as this thing gets closer and closer to reality.

I think the Tide will have the same trains made by Siemens. They'll have different color schemes of course, and the stations will be different. Charlotte went with the more modern look, Norfolk seems to be going for more traditional stations. I personally wish our stations were more modern, but Norfolk thinks it has an identity as a column and pediment kinda place. :rolleyes:

We'll see how it all comes together... I'm getting more optimistic and excited as this thing gets closer and closer to reality.

Yeah.. from the simulation video of the Tide the stations look mainly wooden.. I really hope they change that.. But I'm excited too :) But like i said I hope the ridership is up to shut the naysayers up and expand the train all over HR

Can someone get pictures of the construction going on on the east side of the line past NSU? I havent been able to get over there and it would be great to see some of the tracks that have already been put in. Also how is the bridge construction going? Are thy removing hte pilings that were there?

Are those our trains?? :)

from website caption:

"Siemens produces two light rail vehicle platforms at their manufacturing facility in Sacramento: high-floor SD160 ( right), and low-floor S70 (above). Denver's fleet is SD160, models, and Norfolk,VA, purchased the S70 Type."

So the type is correct, just maybe not the specific train.

http://www.trainweb.org/carl/TRAC2008/Siemens.html

move over cars, we have a new manufacturing type moving into this country.

wa? sorry i may just be tired, what do you mean?

*EDIT i jsut figured it out, move over automobiles! I thought you were refering to the trains! :P

Edited by Mobius57