Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Just a quick question,

Is there a city that has mass tranportation(rail) that does not have a professional sports team? I've been trying to think of one but I cant seem to think of one.

Could that be more foreseeable(sp?) in the future when the light rail is built? I believe so...

I imagine there are some cities that do not have a pro sports team with mass transit

Just a quick question,

Is there a city that has mass tranportation(rail) that does not have a professional sports team? I've been trying to think of one but I cant seem to think of one.

Could that be more foreseeable(sp?) in the future when the light rail is built? I believe so...

There are some cities that have trolleys in the city proper, but no city has light rail commuter systems that don't have professional sports in the U.S. However Edmonton and Ottowa in Canada have light rail and no pro sports teams (at least American Pro Sports Teams)

There are some cities that have trolleys in the city proper, but no city has light rail commuter systems that don't have professional sports in the U.S. However Edmonton and Ottowa in Canada have light rail and no pro sports teams (at least American Pro Sports Teams)

There are some cities in major metro areas that have their own systems but do not have their own teams.

Tacoma, WA has light rail

San Jose, CA has light rail & Cal-Trains

Trenton-Camden, NJ has light rail (& PATCO high speed line thru Camden)

Jersey City, NJ has light rail, PATH

Kenosha, WI has light rail

Newark, NJ has a subway, PATH, & commuter trains

Rochester, NY had a subway but it has been abandoned. :cry:

So thats what that mysterious building was on the HRT LR plans labeled corporate headquarters building. It was in that exact location.

They have a rendering of this building in the report (which you can review at Larchmont, Pretlow, and Kirn library). I doubt if its an official rendering, but it shows how the ground floor would be retail, and the light rail trains would actually go through the building at street level with the station being located inside!!!! Really cool. If you haven't checked it out, I suggest you do. There are a lot of cool renderings for each LR station... Plume street station (w/ the proposed 12 story building) is my favorite, but Norfolk States elevated station is right behind it. You don't need a library card :P

There are some cities in major metro areas that have their own systems but do not have their own teams.

Tacoma, WA has light rail

San Jose, CA has light rail & Cal-Trains

Trenton-Camden, NJ has light rail (& PATCO high speed line thru Camden)

Jersey City, NJ has light rail, PATH

Kenosha, WI has light rail

Newark, NJ has a subway, PATH, & commuter trains

Rochester, NY had a subway but it has been abandoned. :cry:

Arent all these places part of other major metro areas? The only one that I think arent is tacoma and Kenosha.

Right?

I forgot to point out that the report also had alternate routes depicted in it. An interesting route of note connected Sentara Leigh Hospital from the Newtown road station, then from SLH to Military Circle Mall, finally from MCM back to the Military highway Station... visualize a small loop at the end of the "Starter Line" from Newtown road back to Military Highway.

They also had VA Beach Stations all the way down to the Pavilion!!!!!!! :w00t:

VA Beach also had its own station at Newtown, and the other stops were (I believe) Witchduck, Town Center, Princess Anne Plaza, First Colonial... the rest gets hazy. I would imagine you wouldn't have a free transfer from Norfolk to VA Beach, hence the 2 stations on Newtown Road.

Tacoma is near Seattle

Kenosha is between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Rus, my b.

Yeah, upon further checking I found out that all of those places are connected with other Major-Metro areas.

So, In all essence there is no single metro area with a mass transit system without a professional sports team.

Correct?

I forgot to point out that the report also had alternate routes depicted in it. An interesting route of note connected Sentara Leigh Hospital from the Newtown road station, then from SLH to Military Circle Mall, finally from MCM back to the Military highway Station... visualize a small loop at the end of the "Starter Line" from Newtown road back to Military Highway.

VA Beach also had its own station at Newtown, and the other stops were (I believe) Witchduck, Town Center, Princess Anne Plaza, First Colonial... the rest gets hazy. I would imagine you wouldn't have a free transfer from Norfolk to VA Beach, hence the 2 stations on Newtown Road.

Where did you see this at?

Yeah, upon further checking I found out that all of those places are connected with other Major-Metro areas.

So, In all essence there is no single metro area with a mass transit system without a professional sports team.

Correct?

Well does atlantic city have some kind of mass transit cause that would be one.

Where did you see this at?

There is an environmental report from the FTA for public review in Norfolk City libraries. Just go up to the information desk and ask for it, and they'll point you in the right direction. It was in the paper this past weekend. I went and flipped through the 2-inch thick report that was complete w/ environmental studies, renderings, Norfolk LR history, alternate routes, proposed developments, etc. If you are a participant in this thread, I suggest you go check it out... you will not be disappointed :thumbsup:

There is an environmental report from the FTA for public review in Norfolk City libraries. Just go up to the information desk and ask for it, and they'll point you in the right direction. It was in the paper this past weekend. I went and flipped through the 2-inch thick report that was complete w/ environmental studies, renderings, Norfolk LR history, alternate routes, proposed developments, etc. If you are a participant in this thread, I suggest you go check it out... you will not be disappointed :thumbsup:

Thanks dude I will really try to go check it out! :thumbsup:

This report is a tweaked report from the original when the line actually went through to VB. The loop that you talk about is no longer valid. It was part of the original scoping process. The Barry Robinson center and others shot that down early in the scoping process. As far as transfer stations, the only transfer is needed if VB does bus rapid transit. If they jump on board the two stations are not needed and the line will run through to the VB Pavillion.

This report is a tweaked report from the original when the line actually went through to VB. The loop that you talk about is no longer valid. It was part of the original scoping process. The Barry Robinson center and others shot that down early in the scoping process. As far as transfer stations, the only transfer is needed if VB does bus rapid transit. If they jump on board the two stations are not needed and the line will run through to the VB Pavillion.

This report you are referring to is actually available online. If you go to HRT's website, click on Norfolk Light Rail, you will see a link for the final environmental impact. This is the same article as what is at the library. That way you can see it without having to go to the library.

I know what you are getting at and I too hope that this will be a good push for some kind of team to come here. Too bad the Hornets couldn't move to here now! :cry: I think NBA will be our best bet at a team.

Good, at least i know were on the same team. (no pun intended)

Yeah, but I know what your saying, what if we could of had the Hornets and the Nationals? That would be insane. But, I do believe that having a professional sports team would get Norfolk some major respect in the USA. Then, you would start seing tons of more development. People think development is going strong now...watch out!

This report you are referring to is actually available online. If you go to HRT's website, click on Norfolk Light Rail, you will see a link for the final environmental impact. This is the same article as what is at the library. That way you can see it without having to go to the library.

Thanks... maybe Vdogg can pull some of the renderings and post them for viewing.