Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Very cool photos man, thanks for takign time to go down the line!

If anyone is driving down 264 today... look at the pile driver positioning between harbor park & the municpal area....I've never seen a driver wedged up between roads like this one is.

Very cool photos man, thanks for takign time to go down the line!

If anyone is driving down 264 today... look at the pile driver positioning between harbor park & the municpal area....I've never seen a driver wedged up between roads like this one is.

yeah, I seen the same thing. Did know it was a driver though.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_wavy_no...htrail_20090323

I thought this was a funny light rail report...watch the video!!

What do you guys thing about the reporting???

I was in the area this weekend visiting family and for the Shamrock Run, and saw the lead-in for this story. I think the residents have some legitimate concerns, but if this guy wants to take on the city, he's gonna have to have more than just righteous anger and Andy Fox on his side.

Any kind of construction is going to cause some problems and disruptions, and it's easy to lose sight of the long-term benefits of change when the short-term problems are in your face right now.

I was in the area this weekend visiting family and for the Shamrock Run, and saw the lead-in for this story. I think the residents have some legitimate concerns, but if this guy wants to take on the city, he's gonna have to have more than just righteous anger and Andy Fox on his side.

Any kind of construction is going to cause some problems and disruptions, and it's easy to lose sight of the long-term benefits of change when the short-term problems are in your face right now.

Wasn't construction off to the side of an unusable space next to his home? He needs to shut it, I mean seriously! What are the chances he was against this project before he even knew it would run adjacent to his property? Now, the burrito place has a real claim, that's kind of foul (Although I do not like Mexican food). I would hate to see it relocate, that building and location has real culture and urban like feel.

Wasn't construction off to the side of an unusable space next to his home? He needs to shut it, I mean seriously! What are the chances he was against this project before he even knew it would run adjacent to his property? Now, the burrito place has a real claim, that's kind of foul (Although I do not like Mexican food). I would hate to see it relocate, that building and location has real culture and urban like feel.

His house is about as close as someone can get to the actual rail line....and to make it worse, he is still far from the nearest station, which would be Military Hwy station. But I would imagine next time gas prices shoot thru the roof he will be able to sell just fine. Certain folks would love to live there. I still think he's a retard for freaking out, stupid NIMBY's!

I do not have much sympathy for him. He seems to be more interested in complaining and making waves than in getting his issues resolved. The city asked to do a pre-construction inspection of his house to document any damage that was evident before construction began. He refused to allow the city to do the inspection. One has to ask "Why?" While it is true that a pre-construction inspection protects the city if there is no damage from the construction activity, it also gives him a much stronger case if the construction does cause damage. The city has been sending him letters, which he refuses to accept. Again, why? He says "Call me on the phone." There is no way the city's lawyers would allow this to be negotiated verbally - it has to be in writing. Once again, he refuses to cooperate with the city. It makes you wonder what his ultimate goal is. It appears that he wants to go to court, and he doesn't want any facts to interfere with his opportunity to cash in with the city.

One of the cracks shown on the videa is a stair-stepped crack. Stair-stepped cracks are usually caused by foundation settlement. It is unlikely the construction caused this crack. On the shot of his garage doors, there appears to be a another stair-step crack at the upper left corner of the garage door. It's hard to tell from the video, but it looks someone tried to repair this crack in the past.

As for the reporting, it is what Andy Fox does. I suppose he has helped some people. It brings in viewers and gives WAVY a kind of identity -"on your side". It is what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just getting on here to reply to the NIMBY video posted above and how it is hardly believable that the cracks in the man's home were caused by the construction. Then, I read a little further down to see that virginian pe stated the same thing I was thinking.

It is highly ignorant to deny pre-construction inspections and then complain about supposed "cracks" in your mortar from construction. It's also aggravating to see people getting so upset about something that has the potential to benefit this entire region. One of the many reasons I do not want to move back to HR after graduation is the fact that it is an auto-oriented region that I have experienced quite long enough (and I'm only 21, haha). I love the region, but it's just not sustainable, it's not transportation friendly, and I can't stand being stuck in traffic just to get somewhere, especially your place of employment. Still, Norfolk is taking measures to improve the region and I've always been fully behind it. As everyone knows, just look at Charlotte.

We need more urban sustainability.

I was just getting on here to reply to the NIMBY video posted above and how it is hardly believable that the cracks in the man's home were caused by the construction. Then, I read a little further down to see that virginian pe stated the same thing I was thinking.

It is highly ignorant to deny pre-construction inspections and then complain about supposed "cracks" in your mortar from construction. It's also aggravating to see people getting so upset about something that has the potential to benefit this entire region. One of the many reasons I do not want to move back to HR after graduation is the fact that it is an auto-oriented region that I have experienced quite long enough (and I'm only 21, haha). I love the region, but it's just not sustainable, it's not transportation friendly, and I can't stand being stuck in traffic just to get somewhere, especially your place of employment. Still, Norfolk is taking measures to improve the region and I've always been fully behind it. As everyone knows, just look at Charlotte.

We need more urban sustainability.

Exactly how i feel. I am Hampton Roads born and raised. Norfolk, Va Beach, and Chesapeake and I cannot stand how people here think and act. Having a lot of family from the Northeast cities I see how different they live than we do. If they want to go anywhere they will walk, take busses, trains, trolleys, and every other mode of transportation other than cars. One day my Aunt's car broke down and I told her that she could take the 15 (HRT BUS) straight shot home && she said "hell no". That's a problem for me. I am truly hoping that this "Transit Vision Plan" changes all of that and we become a transit oriented metro.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/1049/

I just found this on a jacksonville site! They made an article about us in order to argue for light rail in thier city!

That article and the comments make Norfolk look absolutely progressive! Let's not spoil the illusion and tell the Jacksonville people the truth. :whistling:

Also, that article does a better job arguing for Norfolk light rail than our local politicians ever did. :lol:

That article and the comments make Norfolk look absolutely progressive! Let's not spoil the illusion and tell the Jacksonville people the truth. :whistling:

Also, that article does a better job arguing for Norfolk light rail than our local politicians ever did. :lol:

Amen

Its better than our local politicians STILL argue.

Monorail sucks. Its failed everywhere its built except disneyland. Light Rail succeds.

I would not say it sucks and would prefer it over LRT, but the cost of one of those is just off the charts. We often pay more for the idea than the actual cost of something (which makes sense). I did not ride it, but the vegas system seems to work for the gambling district..

One positive thing I can say about monorail is that its evasive which is very important for our area were we can't go underground without a slew of water problems. LRT in this area will always be bulky, in the way, and/or elevated on tracks which isn't great.

Edited by brikkman