Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I would not say it sucks and would prefer it over LRT, but the cost of one of those is just off the charts. We often pay more for the idea than the actual cost of something (which makes sense). I did not ride it, but the vegas system seems to work for the gambling district..

One positive thing I can say about monorail is that its evasive which is very important for our area were we can't go underground without a slew of water problems. LRT in this area will always be bulky, in the way, and/or elevated on tracks which isn't great.

Yeah, but in that way, Seattle's monorail system that is just the one line that really doesnt take you anywhere anymore is a bit bulky over head as well. Anytime you put any kind of rail system overhead that will require supports to hold it up is going to feel like added weight and will make areas feel more closed in....rail on the road doesnt carry this same feeling.

Yeah, but in that way, Seattle's monorail system that is just the one line that really doesnt take you anywhere anymore is a bit bulky over head as well. Anytime you put any kind of rail system overhead that will require supports to hold it up is going to feel like added weight and will make areas feel more closed in....rail on the road doesnt carry this same feeling.

Yeah, I seen that, seems to be a straight shot correct?

and I agree, it does give you that boxed in feel, not so much in vegas, but I believe its because its more open and kind of out of the way. But monorail doesn't necessary have to be built high up, just in the areas where it needs to be elevated at the same time keeping the street grid in tact.

It was on ridethetide.com front page.

They still have 8 to go! && I read somewhere they are trying to buy two more with stimulus money.

That reminds me they still have to start construction on the storage facility for the trains. I wonder if they are building it large enough anticipating the amount of rail cars to double or triple once the train is extended to the oceanfront.?

The FX property would be a pretty good location for one. :shades:

Except for that pesky Water tower and post office

bye the way, drove by the line today and noticed that rail and ties have been laid near Ballentine Boulevard, appears to use concrete ties ( though I imagine that is the rail standard today)

When are they supposed to raze Kirn? Also, has anyone heard about long-term plans for that space--i.e., the possibility of replacing what they build initially? I'd still love to see a mized use space--part terminal, part offices, part shops and restaurants. BTW, has anyone been to the Seaboard? Has it opened yet?

I just got back from charlotte today, I have a picture of the rail trains..., just need a place to upload the photo..
brikkman, if you email them to me ([email protected]) I'll put them on my panoramio site... or you can just create an account there on your own-

There was an article in Norfolk Quarterly about Light Rail....it was really interesting to read, I'll try to scan it at work and post it, but one thing that was most interesting to me was this info:

Norfolk - 7.4 Miles - $288 mil - 38.9 mil/mile

Charlotte - 9.6 miles - $462.7 mil - 48.2 mil/mile

Portland - 5.8 miles - $320 mil - 55.2 mil/mile

Denver - 12.1 miles - $707 mil - 58.4 mil/mile

Phoenix - 20.3 miles - $1.4 bil - 69 mil/mile

Portland (south corridor line) - 8.3 miles - $575.7 mil - 69.4 mil/mile

Los Angeles - 8.6 miles - $868 mil - 100.9 mil/mile

Pittsburgh - 1.2 miles - $435 mil - 362.5 mil/mile

Norfolk has the cheapest rail per distance being built out of any other city with light rail. Also, "Norfolk is our nation's 36th city to embark on light rail -- America's smallest city to take this large step for its region."

They've started working on the rail along brambleton in front of the ymca now...pounding these ~3' diameter concrete piles into the ground:

22217015.jpg

22217025.jpg

Larger: Here

Edited by CaveMaN

Building along the abandoned right of way really made this project economically feasible.. We won't have that advantage as our transit system grows.. After the extension to the Oceanfront the price per mile will skyrocket.. Especially when the train crosses the river.. That could be 200+ mil/ mile.. && guys what do you think about a streetcar from downtown to the zoo?? That'd be pretty cool. I'm anxiously awaiting downtown LRT construction to be over, the city looks kind of ugly with all the digging, dirt, and stray pipes everywhere.

They've started working on the rail along brambleton in front of the ymca now...pounding these ~3' diameter concrete piles into the ground:

22217015.jpg

These are not piles, and they are not pounded into place. These are the foundations that support the poles that carry the overhead electrical wires to power the light rail trains. They are constructed by augering a hole in the ground, placing a cylindrical form in the hole and then filling it with concrete.

These are not piles, and they are not pounded into place. These are the foundations that support the poles that carry the overhead electrical wires to power the light rail trains. They are constructed by augering a hole in the ground, placing a cylindrical form in the hole and then filling it with concrete.

Just like the footers for traffic lights! Poured a many of them

My mistake... I must be hearing a pile driver doing some of the light rail bridge work adjacent to the brambleton bridge, and not where I'd thought. I also should have noticed the gigantic auger on the site that's drilling the soil to be place these. I didn't know what they were actually to be used for, thank you for clarifying that as well!

brikkman, if you email them to me ([email protected]) I'll put them on my panoramio site... or you can just create an account there on your own-

There was an article in Norfolk Quarterly about Light Rail....it was really interesting to read, I'll try to scan it at work and post it, but one thing that was most interesting to me was this info:

Norfolk - 7.4 Miles - $288 mil - 38.9 mil/mile

Charlotte - 9.6 miles - $462.7 mil - 48.2 mil/mile

Portland - 5.8 miles - $320 mil - 55.2 mil/mile

Denver - 12.1 miles - $707 mil - 58.4 mil/mile

Phoenix - 20.3 miles - $1.4 bil - 69 mil/mile

Portland (south corridor line) - 8.3 miles - $575.7 mil - 69.4 mil/mile

Los Angeles - 8.6 miles - $868 mil - 100.9 mil/mile

Pittsburgh - 1.2 miles - $435 mil - 362.5 mil/mile

Norfolk has the cheapest rail per distance being built out of any other city with light rail. Also, "Norfolk is our nation's 36th city to embark on light rail -- America's smallest city to take this large step for its region."

22217015.jpg

22217025.jpg

That burrito shop is getting hit hard by that construction, I feel bad for them. They could have sped up that part of the construction, maybe some over night hours to get that done.

think i fixed them
Still not up there....

Did you post them to a photo hosting site?

Then right click on the photo, click properties, copy the Location address. Go to your post here, hit the "Insert Image" button, and paste that link into it, hit ok....should be all good then.

I had a frustrating time with that as well for a while... let me know if you can't get them up & I'll try to help out as best I can-

I hope the city will be creative rather than conservative with establishing a route for the Naval Station extension.

Rumor has it that they've been eyeing Redgate Ave immediately next to Norfolk Southern's rail yards as a route through Ghent, but that'd miss the Colley/21st activity center completely. Manteo Street/Newport Ave would be a better route in serving major activity centers.