Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Not really, if ridership is overflowing then that is a good thing for light rail (ie extension possibilities and further development)

maybe that's the plan. build small platforms so you have overflow and then you can say "so many people ride the train there isn't even enough room, we have to extend this to the oceanfront asap!"

Video about Charlotte light rail, TOD, and smart growth. Sounds EXACTLY like Norfolk right now.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/blueprintamerica/r...ull-report/434/

Residents in Charlotte thought 5 people would be on the train, 3 bums and 2 handicap people!

It's now thousands over ridership predictions.

& did you guys look at the trains? they are on page 6. Exterior and interior views. I'm in love.

http://vbwave.org/pdf/presidentreport/pres...august-2009.pdf

Edited by varider

Video about Charlotte light rail, TOD, and smart growth. Sounds EXACTLY like Norfolk right now.

Residents in Charlotte thought 5 people would be on the train, 3 bums and 2 handicap people!

& did you guys look at the trains? they are on page 6. Exterior and interior views. I'm in love.

They look great! I'll be in Norfolk tomorrow (for the first time in two years!). I wish I could hop on one of those trains during my visit.

Charlotte was hitting rider projections for the year 2020 in 2008 and again in 2009... It's been a huge hit here. I ride it anytime I head downtown. I would be willing to bet your light rail will more than exceed expectations from a ridership standpoint....

Charlotte was hitting rider projections for the year 2020 in 2008 and again in 2009... It's been a huge hit here. I ride it anytime I head downtown. I would be willing to bet your light rail will more than exceed expectations from a ridership standpoint....

I would agree completely with that. In fact, the ridership estimates that the government makes the transit agency do are very conservative as a rule. In fact, the ridership estimates HRT put out a while back were chopped several times to the miniscule number posted now in the DEIS. That is why all systems are guaranteed to hit the mark.

I use Charlotte as the model city for Norfolk when it comes to LRT. I'm hoping we exceed ridership estimates. How crushing would it be too the VBTA when they see the trains going by with standing room only.

I would agree completely with that. In fact, the ridership estimates that the government makes the transit agency do are very conservative as a rule. In fact, the ridership estimates HRT put out a while back were chopped several times to the miniscule number posted now in the DEIS. That is why all systems are guaranteed to hit the mark.

Exactly, the government actually didn't even let us factor Tides and Admirals games into the equation. I guess because if a team leaves the city it would screw it up.. Anytime the Tides are playing I'd expect at least 2000 additional trips, possibly more. Virginia Beachers and anyone on the western half of the line will likely ride to avoid the $5 parking + after game traffic and enjoy the ride.. Admirals games too. I don't even think they allowed HRT to use TCC students, but I'm not sure about that one. 10,000/ day should be do-able. Anything more than that would be insane.

Edited by varider

Exactly, the government actually didn't even let us factor Tides and Admirals games into the equation. I guess because if a team leaves the city it would screw it up.. Anytime the Tides are playing I'd expect at least 2000 additional trips, possibly more. Virginia Beachers and anyone on the western half of the line will likely ride to avoid the $5 parking + after game traffic and enjoy the ride.. Admirals games too. I don't even think they allowed HRT to use TCC students, but I'm not sure about that one. 10,000/ day should be do-able. Anything more than that would be insane.

After the tides games, the berkley bridge and DT tunnel were at a stand still. We would probably always hit the mark if the tide traveled to ptown. I'm hoping that it does well of course with the idea it promotes it to expand, and not just down 264. If we could somehow (i know long shot) get it to to ptown, it would change everything for the region I believe. I did not realize how many people road the ferry over to DT, its quite a bit believe it or not. In the mornings I use to wonder why I would see people walking from that direction, I now know why.

After the tides games, the berkley bridge and DT tunnel were at a stand still. We would probably always hit the mark if the tide traveled to ptown. I'm hoping that it does well of course with the idea it promotes it to expand, and not just down 264. If we could somehow (i know long shot) get it to to ptown, it would change everything for the region I believe. I did not realize how many people road the ferry over to DT, its quite a bit believe it or not. In the mornings I use to wonder why I would see people walking from that direction, I now know why.

Most of the time I'm on the ferry it's at least 40-50 people on it (I've never seen it after a tides game). But you are right, the ferry has very strong ridership. If they don't put it LRT through the midtown tunnel, unless ridership estimates were like 100,000 a day, I don't see them building a underwater tunnel solely for rapid transit.. The mayors of Portsmouth and Norfolk should be in Richmond right now fighting to put LRT through the tunnel. Especially with them putting tolls on it. Ridership would go through the roof.. It will be a serious loss if it doesn't happen.

These guys are moving at turbo speed through downtown. Rails can be seen all the way down Monticello, there is a pile driver on the site of the future MacArthur Station, They have built up the station platforms at Medical Center Station and York Street Station, etc. They will most likely be complete with the rail by Jan. - Feb.. Then overhead wires, station finishes, testing, and OPENING DAY!

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/09/light-rail...ilt-flexibility

"They're nice, considering we went at it with a bare-bones perspective," said City Councilman W. Randy Wright, who has championed the rail project.

The original design was very basic, but council members agreed to enhance the look at the city's expense. Hampton Roads Transit is now advertising for bids to build the stations.

"But what you see now will not be the final product," Wright said.

The budget includes $10,000 for each station for art to be incorporated into shelter windscreens.

Karen Rudd, Norfolk's cultural affairs manager, said artists will be hired to enhance each station's windscreen. The possibilities include using etched glass, colored glass or decorative films that are fused to the glass.

She said the windscreen will have to maintain a certain level of transparency and openness for safety reasons.

In addition, two to three larger pieces of art will be commissioned for light rail using $300,000 from the city's public art fund. No decisions have been made about the art or where it would be displayed, Rudd said.

Designs have also been finalized for a vehicle storage and maintenance facility that's being built adjacent to Norfolk State University.

How much of the line runs in mixed-traffic? Does anyone see potential problem areas?

not really, mixed traffic through downtowns is quite common and the worst that will happen is that freak chance accident. The trains dont move that fast through urban areas and people tend to be aware of the massive trains moving through. You guys will have to get use to hearing the train horn and the ringing of the bell, but that is worth getting use to.