Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

How much of the line runs in mixed-traffic? Does anyone see potential problem areas?

Only about 2-3 miles is in mixed traffic, but it always has it's own ROW. Just like you guys down in Charlotte!

not really, mixed traffic through downtowns is quite common and the worst that will happen is that freak chance accident. The trains dont move that fast through urban areas and people tend to be aware of the massive trains moving through. You guys will have to get use to hearing the train horn and the ringing of the bell, but that is worth getting use to.

I can't wait to hear the train horn lol. It's no problem for me!

I noticed the power poles for the light rail are in place along I264 near Norfolk State.

Yeah, I saw it too. It's certainly making lots of progress in a short period of time. They even have the foundations for the poles in downtown too.

Good, hey varider, sorry for vanishing, i ahve been quite buzy. Im good for next sunday, but i can do it earlier.

I was actually in downtown last fri sept. 11, but that was on short notice and i could not stay for all that long. Didn't remember seeing the tracks that fully installed on monticello though!

Viaduct

$13.6 million

Viaduct construction between Harbor Park and Norfolk State University. Includes a 3,400-foot elevated structure and relocation of Holt Street.

Status 96.1 percent complete.

East-end track

$40.9 million

Norfolk Southern right of way between Norfolk State and Newtown Road. Bridges over Broad Creek and Norfolk Southern tracks.

Status 62 percent complete.

Electrical work

$27.7 million

The work includes poles, overhead wires, substations and grade crossings and gates.

Status 30.9 percent complete.

Demolition

$1.5 million

Asbestos abatement and demolition of Kirn Memorial Library and other structures.

Status 93.2 percent complete.

West-end track

$42.2 million

Monticello Avenue is prepared for light rail. Laying track from Harbor Park through downtown to the medical center. Includes a light-rail bridge parallel to Brambleton Avenue over Smith Creek.

Status 41.8 percent complete.

What's next? Shop and storage yard. Light-rail stations. Park and ride lots.

Now that they have relocated the access station, I can not picture where it will be. Behind, next to, or in front of the shell gas station..!!!

I drive past NSU on Brambleton every day. As far as I can tell, the LRT station will be on the bridge directly above Brambleton. I suspect the only change they made to accommodate NSU's concerns for "security" was to move the stairs from the north side of Brambleton (the NSU side) to the south side of Brambleton (the Shell station side). Then all the students get to play real-life Frogger crossing six lanes of traffic. All of this to keep NSU safe from the criminal element that light-rail will bring to their campus.

I drive past NSU on Brambleton every day. As far as I can tell, the LRT station will be on the bridge directly above Brambleton. I suspect the only change they made to accommodate NSU's concerns for "security" was to move the stairs from the north side of Brambleton (the NSU side) to the south side of Brambleton (the Shell station side). Then all the students get to play real-life Frogger crossing six lanes of traffic. All of this to keep NSU safe from the criminal element that light-rail will bring to their campus.

If i'm not mistaken, the station is on the NSU side of Brambleton and is accessed by an elevator and steps. Students don't have to cross Brambleton (I think!)

If i'm not mistaken, the station is on the NSU side of Brambleton and is accessed by an elevator and steps. Students don't have to cross Brambleton (I think!)

This is taken from a VP article that was linked in a post on this thread dated September 28, 2008, posted by Spiker3.

The new NSU location will be on the west side of Brambleton and not the east side. However, the new site poses a different kind of safety worry, said Corey Hill, chief of public transportation for the state. Students will now have to cross busy Brambleton Avenue to get to class. Hill said he fears they will dash across six lanes of traffic instead of walking a block to the nearest intersection. The city is already looking at ways to address the concern, Councilman W. Randy Wright said.

This is taken from a VP article that was linked in a post on this thread dated September 28, 2008, posted by Spiker3.

That's false.

The Station is on the east side of Brambleton and students will not have to cross the street.

From ridethetide.com:

The NSU Station will be located on an elevated, one-car 24 foot wide center platform, above Brambleton Avenue on the east side of Brambleton Avenue. Access to the station will be from an elevator and a set of staircases on the east side of Brambleton Avenue.

I went to bed early Tuesday night to get up bright and early for my first in the water off a boat dive trip on Wednesday. Car alarm woke me around 3:30AM, at that point the radio was already stolen. But I still filed police report and everything and crashed again at 4:30AM, but wasn't really able to sleep. Up at 6:30AM, off to the Exxon to vacume up all the glass, dock at 7:40AM (a little late). On the boat. Visibility was weak but I finally made it in the ocean! I got the boat thing down now. Back at home by 3PM. Back at work at 4PM. Left car at work so it could remain in shelter and locked up, since it looked like it was going to rain. (I hit rain coming home with no passenger window, trash bags do not work :-) But it wasn't terrible mess due to vehicle aerodynamics).

So I finally walk home after work, partly not feeling good from the boat ride (Dramimine non-drowsey makes you drowsey I think) and party from being exausted from no sleep. So I turn the corner and there is this huge party thing going on in the parking lot of Viola. Too funny. I snatched a Burrito because I was starving then was thinking I'd do a little cleaning in the apartment. Yea, that lasted long enough for me to kick off episode 2 of Adam Curtis's Freedom documentary thing, and I was on the couch. And passed out.

But the whole time I could hear the tuba riff (well okay I think it was a sousaphone) going BOM bom BOM bom BOM bom BOM ba bom. It didn't matter. BLAM. Woke up at 3:30AM. Looked out the window, didn't see anyone prowling the lot. Back to bed till 7.

The speed at which insurance company is moving to fix my stuff is insane!

Also the train tracks are coming up York street. Slowly but surely. The construction down there has them washing out the building that is good for projecting on.

Hasn't crossed City Hall yet, and not much going on at the MacArthur station.