Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Just wanted to let you guys know that the military "endorsed" light rail transit in Hampton Roads and there is a potential for DoD funding to connect Oceana with NOB.

I see the VP article from Friday where one of the comments says something about a Navy presentation in which they endorsed it. Have we heard anything from the VP or anyone about the actual potential for DoD funding? Have there been other examples of cities' systems being helped out in this way?

By the way, I know I'm stating the obvious which we have stated here multiple times, but the comments over on VP articles are ridiculous. Lots of lols to look forward to everyday. rolleyes.gif

Example: "The very idea of starting the line in Norfolk is nothing less than absolute idiocy in my opinion." -jeffreyr88753

Uuuuuhhhhhhh what?

http://hamptonroads....htrail-stations

I think our port profits should more than cover the funding for our transportation needs. Keep more of the port profits here to pay for our transportation infrastructure rather than building roads in NOVA.

Toll offset could hurt projects, official says

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/toll-offset-could-hurt-projects-official-says

The Midtown Tunnel between Norfolk and Portsmouth, with about 44,000 vehicles daily, is the busiest two-lane road east of the Mississippi River, Homer said. He said the tunnel's congestion levels, maintenance needs and importance to the ports and to regional mobility justify a significant public investment.

I see the VP article from Friday where one of the comments says something about a Navy presentation in which they endorsed it. Have we heard anything from the VP or anyone about the actual potential for DoD funding? Have there been other examples of cities' systems being helped out in this way?

By the way, I know I'm stating the obvious which we have stated here multiple times, but the comments over on VP articles are ridiculous. Lots of lols to look forward to everyday. rolleyes.gif

Example: "The very idea of starting the line in Norfolk is nothing less than absolute idiocy in my opinion." -jeffreyr88753

Uuuuuhhhhhhh what?

http://hamptonroads....htrail-stations

No, it's something better than a VP article.

I got it straight from the City Council meeting from Tuesday. You can watch it if you'd like!

I was there to. I got to shake his hand up front. Regardless, I rode a bike so traffic wasn't too bad ;P

Yeah, it was amazing. I didn't wait around to shake his hand, though. But he's great. Anyways,

the traffic was absolutely horrible. I was just thinking about how many people would have taken the train if it wuld have been available.

I was just thinking about how many people would have taken the train if it wuld have been available.

I think about this everyday and I honestly cannot wait to see a new form of transit rolling around this region. To see light rail trains making their way from city to city is going to be one of the greatest things in the next 10 years. Now if we can just attract some awesome businesses here and really get rolling...in the dough!

Just thought I would point out some observations that I have made over the years...with my visits to Tacoma, Wa which has a light rail system (though it is more of an internal streetcar system) that runs from Old Town to the Stadium District (or from one end of downtown to the other end) and while it has been a slow process, I have noticed many changes that has happened to that city. The biggest has been the addition of the satellite college that opened up in an area that use to be know as the city's red light district and was a scary part of town to drive through is now a great place to walk through for good food and cute girls. At the middle of the line, the city has built a new museum and convention center and a couple hotels and a new plaza that is integrated with the train. Then there has been numerous renovations that have happened in the Theater District near one of the stops on the Old Town side. All of which happened after the streetcar went in, so it is safe to say, you will see alot of positive developments happen that are directly and indirectly related to new rail. It is often times seen as an investment that a city is willing to make to give a location a permanent stop, thus making it much easier for a developer to be willing to make a permanent development.

Though there has been negative things that happened, the city just tore down a beautiful historic building because it could not find a new owner that was willing to pay the cost of renovation. Also, as I pointed out earlier, this is more of just a streetcar line that provides access to the length of downtown and what Norfolk is building will provide access to downtown and several other neighborhoods with the plan to extend further. So while Tacoma's rail has had a limited impact, it is safe to say that Norfolk's should have a larger effect.

Regional leaders agreed Friday to push for bringing high speed trains to South Hampton Roads while at the same time enhancing passenger rail service on the Peninsula. With only five months before funding applications are due to the federal government for a share of an $8 billion stimulus fund for high speed rail, the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization held a special meeting.

After months of discord between the southside and Peninsula elected officials over where the fastest trains should go, the vote was unanimous. Elected leaders from four Peninsula localities, including Newport News and Williamsburg, were not present.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/leaders-agree-push-highspeed-rail-southside

does not seem to me that it was so "unanimous" or all that much agreement if the Peninsula refused to vote! Why do I get the distinct feeling that they are going to play spoiler?

http://hamptonroads....-rail-southside

does not seem to me that it was so "unanimous" or all that much agreement if the Peninsula refused to vote! Why do I get the distinct feeling that they are going to play spoiler?

Hampton voted.

I hope we get funding in the 1st round... That's going to create a HUGE Transit Oriented Development at Harbor Park. HSR+LRT+Stadium= TOD.

The article sounds like the Southside decided to go ahead for trying to get money and the Peninsula will get passed over. You would think the cities on the Peninsula would be more for connectivity to the Southside, but instead they act like a disgruntle counterpart to the region as if the Peninsula should be seen as the center of the region.

It would be just as easy to run HSR to the Southside and bypass the Peninsula by running the rail down through the same route roughly that 460 is on. Plus that route would be cheaper because it wouldnt involve a bridge/tunnel.

I was at today's special TPO meeting:

1. There were a couple absent Peninsula reps, so that accounted for votes.

2. The Peninsula gets enhanced rail service in the Resolution, which should eventually become High Speed. The big technical issue with the Peninsula right now is that there are a number of curves in the CSX track that would need to be straightened for fast service.

Arriving early for the meeting, the three possible draft Resolutions were already available...and all three were South Hampton Roads Resolutions. The deal was already done but for the details.

I was at today's special TPO meeting:

1. There were a couple absent Peninsula reps, so that accounted for votes.

2. The Peninsula gets enhanced rail service in the Resolution, which should eventually become High Speed. The big technical issue with the Peninsula right now is that there are a number of curves in the CSX track that would need to be straightened for fast service.

Arriving early for the meeting, the three possible draft Resolutions were already available...and all three were South Hampton Roads Resolutions. The deal was already done but for the details.

Any way to run that train futher along 460 out here to Blacksburg? Seriously, all we have out here are football, classes, bars, and cows..... <_<

Thanks for the update Sky06. I can almost feel the inertia as the train takes off as it clatters and makes it way down the tracks. I can't wait for this thing to be finished.

It is amazing how great of a downtown sound it makes. You will here lots of wheels on tracks noise, the ringing of the bell, and the horn from time to time when some idiot is in the way.

Due to my position of HRT's Transit Rider Advisory Committee (TRAC), I get to go on a tour of the Tide site with HRT. I am definitely going to break out the good camera for this. The tour is the 10th of November, so as soon as I get back from it I will start posting the good photos.

That's so sweet! Will be looking forward to some photos and info.!

Monticello Avenue next to MacArthur Center mall re opens to all traffic between City Hall Avenue and Freemason Street at noon Friday.

Meanwhile, the Tide construction will soon encroach more on downtown's main north-south thoroughfares - Boush Street, Granby Street and St. Paul's Boulevard - as rails are laid across intersections, Stanley Stein, assistant city manager, told the Downtown Norfolk Council at its monthly briefing Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the city wants to make final decisions on the names of the 11 light-rail stations along the 7.4-mile route from the city line at Newtown Road to the medical complex on Brambleton Avenue. It has asked the Downtown Norfolk Council for help.

http://hamptonroads....downtown-change

Edited by ronsmytheiii