Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I hate to say it, but there is not a snow ball's chance in hell of LRT comming to Virginia Beach after this:

Hampton Roads Transit’s new president and CEO, Philip Shucet, on Saturday called for the inspector general to investigate the agency’s light-rail project and business practices.

Shucet wrote a letter dated Feb. 13 to Transportation Secretary Sean Connaughton requesting a review by the inspector general’s office within the Virginia Department of Transportation. Shucet specifically wants state investigators to examine three issues: HRT’s business practices as they relate to The Tide light-rail project, HRT’s consultant selection process and HRT’s handling of the suspected embezzlement.

“We need to look and see if there’s anything there and get it out on the table,” Shucet said in an interview.

“This is a good thing to do for any new CEO – to have someone with skill take a broad look and tell you if there are any issues that warrant a closer look,” he added.

In two weeks on the job, he’s made changes that he said will save more than $14 million in costs to the light-rail project. Shucet reviewed the changes Saturday morning with about 100 residents gathered at a meeting of the Norfolk Tea Party 2.

The most recent change occurred Friday when he appointed a project management team within HRT, thereby eliminating a layer of consultants and avoiding about $7 million in consulting fees.

“Nobody will ever manage a project better than the owner,” Shucet said. “There was a heavy layer of support through consultants, which perhaps was appropriate initially for an agency that really hadn’t managed a construction before.”

Shucet also consolidated two of the light rail’s largest construction contracts resulting in an estimated savings of about $7.5 million.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/hrt-chief-asks-state-investigation-lightrail-project

If Va Beach does go with LRT though, I think he should be the one to lead its construction.

Maybe I'm not following correctly, but what does Norfolk's LRT have to do VB's chance of getting it?All of these adjustments and inquiries should actually prepare VB for a smooth construction process.

&& looks like track installation is almost done @ the old Kirn library site (MacArthur Station).

It is just the fear that seeing all the problems going on with the starter line, that VB will get cold feet and back out of it in fear of those same problems. But I suspect that once it is up and running, VB and much of the rest of the metro will be wanting to jump on board. In VB's case, I think this is much like the town center, everyone cried about how this would increase traffic and so many problems for the city, now it is seen as a great idea that gives the city some class and that it should be expanded.

I attribute HRT's problems more to our elected leaders. It is their job to make sure that our money is spent correctly. Not just Norfolk's leaders either. Virginia Beach has elected officials on HRT's board. If the board had kept a tighter grip on HRT from the beginning, this would never have happened. Instead, the cities just throw HRT some money and say have fun.

Final cost for now: $338 Million:

Hampton Roads Transit vowed today to complete construction of Norfolk’s beleaguered light-rail project for $338.3 million, slightly less than anticipated but still 46 percent more than original estimates. Most of the added costs are for expenses related to schedule delays, including extended overhead costs and idle equipment, according to a report by consultant AECOM.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/hrt-sets-final-cost-norfolk-light-rail-3383-million

How is coming in over budget by 45% good news? Gee sir, the infection is going to cost your leg, but the good news is I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance!

I think what he was saying is that we've stopped the bleeding instead of hemorrhaging yet more money. To continue with your analogy it is more like "Gee sir, the infection is going to cost your leg, but at least you're not going to die!" I'd rather be living and breathing with an amputated leg than dead, but that might just be me. ;)

I'm just happy that we are getting LRT. Other cities wish they could have what we are getting.

jjjjjkio[

What is so shocking about some of the comments on the VA Pilot story is the lack of foresight and vision of many of the posters. Light Rail is essential to the growth and prosperity of the Hampton Roads area. Its a great selling point for business, relieves traffic congestions and is great for economic expansion. This has been proven over and over again but the flat earthers don't want to see it. I think the pro-light rail boosters should make the point over and over again that roads do not pay for themselves and the taxpayer who they are so worried about will subsidize these congested arteries for years to come. At least you have people paying fares to defray some of the cost of Light Rail. I think once Light rail is up and running in Norfolk the naysayers will seem like neandrathals (They already do!).

Edited by skylinefan

What is so shocking about some of the comments on the VA Pilot story is the lack of foresight and vision of many of the posters. Light Rail is essential to the growth and prosperity of the Hampton Roads area. Its a great selling point for business, relieves traffic congestions and is great for economic expansion.

Quoted for truth.

In related news, I get an ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) SmartBrief everyday in my e-mail about significant engineering projects in the country/world, policy updates, etc etc. Usually these articles are related to cities elsewhere, but today I got a surprise: "Norfolk, Va light-rail costs surge 46%".

Dismal for sure, but at least Norfolk is getting recognition?

Shucet clearly seems to have brought some worthy leadership experience to the project, let alone HRT. 38% remains for one year and two months. It seems he wants to take his time and make sure this project gets off on the right track, which I think is great news.

If the board had kept a tighter grip on HRT from the beginning, this would never have happened. Instead, the cities just throw HRT some money and say have fun.

Not sure I agree with that. It seems to me the previous leadership hid a lot of the facts from the board. I hardly think anyone wanted the costs to spiral out of control like this. Look what it got Townes.

jjjjjkio[

What is so shocking about some of the comments on the VA Pilot story is the lack of foresight and vision of many of the posters.

These people don't read the articles; they just read the sensational headlines and react, not knowing the facts or even caring about them. Somehow, these people are convinced that the money's coming out of their wallet. Or that the money could be better spent on something else--even though the money is earmarked solely for this. Or that light rail will somehow create more crime. Or that the next thing that will happen is the government will take their homes or guns away from them. Or that . . . well, you get the point.

These people don't read the articles; they just read the sensational headlines and react, not knowing the facts or even caring about them. Somehow, these people are convinced that the money's coming out of their wallet. Or that the money could be better spent on something else--even though the money is earmarked solely for this. Or that light rail will somehow create more crime. Or that the next thing that will happen is the government will take their homes or guns away from them. Or that . . . well, you get the point.

The saddest result of this mismanagement and resulting negative publicity will be to make it politically untenable for other cities to join or (like Chesapeake) even investigate joining the light rail. We could be stuck with a starter line for the next decade, but I seriously hope not.

Less than three months ago, the City Council voted 8-0 to pursue a study on the possibility of extending light rail to Chesapeake. The council was told that the federally funded study wouldn't cost the city a dime. Now, city officials say the $1.75 million study would require a 20 percent match, which could amount to $350,000 in non-federal money.

Some council members now say they want no part of the study this year.

"I voted to do the study when it was at no cost to us," Councilwoman Debbie Ritter said.

The light-rail study could generate lively conversation at Tuesday's council meeting, where the group may decide whether to pursue the study this year. The deadline for requesting $1.4 million in federal dollars is Feb. 28.

WEll have to say that first of all, there is no free lunch. Secondly, I have to say Chesapeake is not dense enough for LRT at this time. So I am not to upsett about this.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/chesapeake-leaders-now-hesitant-light-rail-study

Uhh, Greenbrier has become overly congested, developed, and populated.

I want rail lines all over the place! I want a big- city transit system! I want LRT to the Oceanfront, Naval Base, P-Town, Greenbrier, Peninsula Town Center, etc.! I want HSR into DT Norfolk. I want Commuter Rail/Heavy rail from Williamburg to DT and Southern Chesapeke to DT! I want it all.

WEll have to say that first of all, there is no free lunch. Secondly, I have to say Chesapeake is not dense enough for LRT at this time. So I am not to upsett about this.

http://hamptonroads....ight-rail-study

Greenbrier would be a good location, but no loss if it doesn't happen. On a side note, the pilot is gonna beat this horse to death isn't it? I'm getting kind of tired of hearing about it (and the controversy manufacturing headlines that come with it). My hope is that we can just let this whole thing fade into the background for a while and let folks settle down.

I question if light rail will even work here. I WANT IT TO WORK but, people here LOVE there cars. Will people be ok with riding on the light rail? Will it go to enough places in our area to make since. Right now its going to Newtown Road? If so hopefully Va Beach comes on board to have it go to The Oceanfront. I agree with VaRider that it should be a metro thing and go to Greenbrier and other major parts of the metro. Problem is cost. s we found out its costing well over $300,000,000 for it now with just going to Newtown Road. What would it cost to do the entire metro and when will it recoupe?

I hope it works even if it stays in V Beach and Norfolk. Its nice t make improvements were you live and Im proud Norfolk at least took the step good or bad. Shows me they expect growth so it will be used possibly !!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

I question if light rail will even work here. I WANT IT TO WORK but, people here LOVE there cars. Will people be ok with riding on the light rail? Will it go to enough places in our area to make since. Right now its going to Newtown Road? If so hopefully Va Beach comes on board to have it go to The Oceanfront. I agree with VaRider that it should be a metro thing and go to Greenbrier and other major parts of the metro. Problem is cost. s we found out its costing well over $300,000,000 for it now with just going to Newtown Road. What would it cost to do the entire metro and when will it recoupe?

I hope it works even if it stays in V Beach and Norfolk. Its nice t make improvements were you live and Im proud Norfolk at least took the step good or bad. Shows me they expect growth so it will be used possibly !!! L.G.N.Mrolleyes.gif

Up until now people have had no choice but to love their cars.

Well it is working in Phoenix, if that is any indication to you because those people really love their cars and suburban sprawl.

Also, I wouldnt pay too much attention to the comments on the Pilot, they sound like the same crop of people that seem to come with every newspaper website. I bet if you really looked into it, you would notice less that 50 people commenting on each of these articles. It is always the same group of people saying the same things thinking they are speaking for everyone in the metro.

Oh and the cost of light rail and public transportation doesnt recoup the costs that it took to make it, but neither does highway systems, police, fire, education, or any other service system.

Edited by urbanlife

Two things of note:

-The silver chain-link fence at the eastern- end of the line has beeen pulled out of the ground and replaced with black chain-link. It looks a little better.. but not as good as wrought iron would.

-All nine LRVs are now chillin' over by NSU.

Overall, it looks like much progress is being made....

I question if light rail will even work here. I WANT IT TO WORK but, people here LOVE there cars. Will people be ok with riding on the light rail?

People love their cars because it is convenient. But it will not stay that way. Traffic on I-264 can only get worse. When it takes an hour to drive the 9 miles from Town Center to Downtown at rush hour, people will ride light rail. And there is no way to increase capacity on I-264. There is no room to add more lanes. And even if you could add lanes, there is no way to get off I-264 onto the arterial roads. Just look at the backup every day at Witchduck, at Independence, at Lynnhaven. That is the part of lightrail the opponents are overlooking. Automobile transportation may be more convenient today, but 5 or 10 years from now could be a totally different situation. And if VB waits 5 to 10 years to start lightrail, they will be behind the curve and will take a long time to catch up.

I tell people that VB will get light rail, whether they know it or not. They question is will they be smart and get it by 2015, or will they wait until 2025 when the cost will be astronomical?