Jade Project in East GR

OneSweetWorld

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked that you hadn't heard about this. It was originally planned with one of the buildings being 12 stories. The project has been approved, but not after a rezoning nightmare, a referendum vote, two very divided sides (each with their own website), threats of recalls, blah, blah, blah. The section on the City of EGR website is crashed, but this is the website of the proponents:

http://www.reignitegaslight.com/

They've already started building the retail plaza portion.

From what I can tell it looks like it will be a decent project.  Does anyone know what the opposition's argument is?  Are they afraid of a little density and mixed use, or is there another aspect that I am missing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could probably use the word "was". The battle is basically over. The opposition didn't want that kind of height. They wanted EGR to maintain a "small town" feel, kind of like Marne. Said it would change the area too much. Might bring in too many great people, increase property values, and might improve the retail opportunities in Gaslight too much. And they were really lamenting the fact that the gorgeous parking ramp for Jacobsons would see the wrecking ball. Can you imagine a bunch of people actually walking around Gaslight Village, with outdoor cafes and stuff. :sick:

Thanks jeff. I think 12 stories might have been a bit out of character for the area. Six sounds better. You can't blame the public too much over not wanting big projects like this, though, because in the last 50 years practially everything that has been built was worse than what was there before. At this point, most people wouldn't recognize a good project if it walked up and punched them in the face. I think that if this project turns out well a lot of the nay-sayers will learn to like it. I am glad to see a project like this go up. Hopefully it will be a good model to which we can look for lessons on future in-fill in the city.

Boy that was little random.

I've lived in east for a long time and I never could figure out what everone's issue was with this project. All I could figure is that there a few people in town that dont really like Brian DeVries. I hope andy is right; I hope this project lives up to potential and changes a lot of minds about both Gaslight's potential and DeVries.

There was a story in last night's press about a complication dealing with the owner of the apartments just to the east--he opposed the original height proposals, and now would like to get back by blocking the view of part of the jadepig project--it will be interesting to see how this plays out politically, but I would wait to buy a jadepig condo till you know just what your view is going to be, lol

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...7390.xml&coll=6

:)

There was a story in last night's press about a complication dealing with the owner of the apartments just to the east--he opposed the original height proposals, and now would like to get back by blocking the view of part of the jadepig project--it will be interesting to see how this plays out politically, but I would wait to buy a jadepig condo till you know just what your view is going to be, lol

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...7390.xml&coll=6

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The guy who owns the apartments is nothing more than a jealous idiot who has been upstaged by a real developer with real capacity.

The beginning of Jade Pig's project was the catalyst for WAY OVERDUE re-development of gaslight. Full renovation of D&W shopping cener and related retail stuff, a whole new streetscape being done by EGR and the complete overhaul of the municipal complex making it pedestrian friendly and beautiful -- much of this would not have happened without the Pig kicking it off first.

If you go to any of the communities where the pig has gone in to build something, the municipality would tell you they hope to see them return for more. All of the projects they do are absolutely first rate. They do not know how to do it the cheap way. Plus, the owner of JP lives 1/2 mile away -- the image this one presents is important to him.

Lose no sleep over this one, it's going to be the single greatest thing to happen to EGR since the Ramona Park days.

The guy who owns the apartments is nothing more than a jealous idiot who has been upstaged by a real developer with real capacity.

The beginning of Jade Pig's project was the catalyst for  WAY OVERDUE re-development of gaslight.    Full renovation of D&W shopping cener and related retail stuff, a whole new streetscape being done by EGR and the complete overhaul of the municipal complex making it pedestrian friendly and beautiful -- much of this would not have happened without the Pig kicking it off first.

If you go to any of the communities where the pig has gone in to build something, the municipality would tell you they hope to see them return for more.  All of the projects they do are absolutely first rate.  They do not know how to do it the cheap way.  Plus, the owner of  JP lives 1/2 mile away -- the image this one presents is important to him.

Lose no sleep over this one, it's going to be the single greatest thing to happen to EGR since the Ramona Park days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely right Eric. As much as I abhor Rockford, the D&W Plaza they did up there is pretty nice, sorta FLWright prairie style.

http://www.jadepigventures.com/propertyportfolio_frame.htm

not to rag on the jade pig parade, but their developments on Alpine have been awful complicated messes, which to me anyway are more frustrating then what was there to begin with.

Perhaps its just the "Alpine Rage" most people suffer :P

Now if they redid Highpoint center to be a little more friendly, then perhaps we can talk. Its really starting to look like a mess, and half of it is empty.

not to rag on the jade pig parade, but their developments on Alpine have been awful complicated messes, which to me anyway are more frustrating then what was there to begin with.

Now if they redid Highpoint center to be a little more friendly, then perhaps we can talk. Its really starting to look like a mess, and half of it is empty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure they still own that stuff on Alpine. If so I'll smack 'em around a bit for you. I know the guys well, you could probably tell that from my last post....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That whole piece of property used to be C. Bell Chevrolet, I think the largest Chevy dealer in GR at the time. They closed up shop in the late 70

It will be wonderful to see a gaslight that is not rotting from stagnation.  Hurry up and finish this project!  Does anyone know when the retail portion that is currently under construction is expected to open?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gary, I got this updated construction schedule from the EGR website:

Wealthy Streetscape work - completion in Nov. 05

Jade Pig's Retail/Medical Offices on Wealthy - Mar. 06

New Clinton Realty retail development in front of D&W - Just approved

$9.4 Mil renovation of the library and municipal offices - Fall 2006

And yes, some of Jade Pig's earlier work left much to be desired. They have improved greatly.

I'm really excited to see the facade of the old UICA building (on the site of the new GRAM) reused. It is the perfect scale for Gaslight Village.

As for the apartment owner, I think EGR will shut him down pretty quick as this jerk pulled that "I'm going to build higher" stunt right before the vote. He should worry about his own complex instead of pissing in someone else's yard. The apartments he own will probably benefit greatly.

In fact, he should slap a new facade on the buildings and condo the place out. He'd probably make a mint!

Joe

Archived