Laura Street Trio Set To Begin Demo

merlin

I actually think the food at Carraba's is a little better than at Maggiano's too, but, like I said, it is a whole different experience. I think the overall dining experience is much better at Maggiano's though. Cheesecake Factory is a little overrated but does have some interesting dishes and a huge menu (almost too much to choose from). PF Changs is probably the best of the 3, in my opinion. And, dont forget Ted's Montana Grill. I like that place too - good food and well designed, retro interior.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes... if you think Carrabba's is better than Maggiano's, you probably think McDonald's is better than Ruth's Chris.

Well, that's pushing it a little, but perhaps Burger King vs. Fuddrucker's? Come on.

I think the northbank could use a good restaurant, though...

For those looking for a Northbank steakhouse....

Room for another steakhouse on the river? Plaza III Kansas City Steakhouse is opening a restaurant in the Hyatt. It will take the space formerly occupied by Bravo! Restaurante, which closed in June. Construction and expansion for the Plaza III will take place through November with an anticipated opening date in early December. Plaza III joins Morton

Although I do here that Boca De Pepe near the Avenues Mall is pretty good though. Anyone ever eaten herer?

When I was living in J'ville, I ate at Buca De Pepo on a couple of ocassions. The food is very good. It takes a while for the waiters to get to ya, but it's worth it.

By the way, I did a little research and this Plaza III Kansas City Steakhouse sounds great. See the reviews here: http://www.epinions.com/content_155397426820

Here: http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/p...he%20Steakhouse

And here: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2828833-...HNsawN0aXRsZQ--

I like the idea of a traditional restaurant with a jazz band. This kind of place is really not available now in Jax. Opening in December though. :)

I would agree that Maggiano's is a different experience than Carabba's

I personally think that Buca di Beppo and Carabba's are the best chains in town (overall, I'd say La Cena is the best Italian in town, but I can't eat there as often). Buca offers their dishes in a Family Style format (their smallest dishes feed 2-3 people), and Carabba's is for the individual.

I personally think Maggiano's is overrated. It's a chain that has been in Atlanta for a while, and since Atlanta is this magical bustling metropolis where everything is better, when we get one it has to be better than anything else on the planet. (maybe the sarcasm is too strong; I've now been at work for 14 hours now, and I'm getting tired)

I have not been to Ted's, but I have been to P.F. Changs, which I think is excellent. Personally, I could careless about the Cheesecake Factory - It's ok, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

By the way - I'm glad that the Laura Trio is moving along.

Random restaurants aside ... very interesting article in the daily record today ...

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43797

- The Pension Fund just bought the Center Theater lot for $1 Million. I had just assumed they already owned it. Not surprisingly, they plan to build a parking garage for the Laura Trio.

- Interior demolition should be done around the new year. They'll come out with a detailed development plan around then.

- The cost just to bring it up to code will be OVER $19 million dollars (see vic, I wasn't lying about how expensive it is!!). Consequently, they will ask for incentives, and it sounds like they already know they will have an uphill battle. They technically should already have a $1 million dollar preservation grant that might carry over from the previous developer.

Councilman Sharon Copeland is quoted saying some very negative things, which is not surprising since she is personally very anti-preservation. However, considering how much the preservationists got smacked on the library, I'm guess city hall might throw them a bone withthe Laura Trio.

Random restaurants aside ... very interesting article in the daily record today ...

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43797

- The cost just to bring it up to code will be OVER $19 million dollars (see vic, I wasn't lying about how expensive it is!!). Consequently, they will ask for incentives, and it sounds like they already know they will have an uphill battle. They technically should already have a $1 million dollar preservation grant that might carry over from the previous developer.

I never said rehab was not expensive, Captain. I merely questioned that with $17mm in grant money from the city, and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars in income tax credits, that the 11 E. project was not PROFITABLE. Given the fact that the property has high occupancy and charges premium rent, and knowing that Vestcor is a for-profit entity, I doubt they would have undertaken the project if it were impossible to make a profit. If you are privy to details on the matter, I would welcome the inside info.

Actually, nearly all rental properties of any description do NOT have a "true" positive cash flow in their first few years. It usually takes a few years of rent increases and equity buildup to reach positive cash flow. To expect differently of 11E would be holding it to a higher standard than the norm.

All I can say is that parking garage "BETTER" have space for street front retail, facing Adams Street. The Carling's garage, facing Monroe or the garage at the fairgrounds are two completely different animals from a garage that would line one of downtown's major retail and dining streets.

I second that. Barton, the JEDC guy, should go ahead and tell the Pension fund to expect to put in retail. With the Lerner building, Carling and Elks building in that same block, it is imperative that this garage also have ground floor retail. I can't imagine that the proposed retail study would conclude differently.

I agree, Lake! I understand the whole retail situation with the Monroe Street garage. But it seems like it would be in their best interest to leave room for a retail tenant on Adams.

I still find it ironic that the city worked so hard on Bay Street and didn't do practically anything to Adams. And look at where those two streets are now lol....

• 1 month later...

It is temporary. The renovation costs of the first two (between $12 and $14 million) were just about as much as the Pension Fund was willing to handle at once. Those two buildings will have about 60,000 square feet of commercial space. The Florida Life building (once they start work on it) will have 22 units and a penthouse. They haven't decided if it will be apartments or condos.

^^ Thanks for clearing that up jlight !

Given the glut of office space, I'm not sure I understand putting commercial space in the Bisbee building. I guess they want to keep the building rather than sell it. In which case, commercial makes more sense.

BTW, has work ever resumed on 20 W. Adams?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

City and Pension Fund agree on Laura Trio

The City and the Police and Fire Pension Fund reached a redevelopment deal late last week that will allow the Fund to renovate three historic downtown buildings using $5 million in City money.

Now all that is needed is City Council approval.

Well this is good news. I'm just curious about what their parking garage will be like. I'm sure that because of it's great location (Adams is booming!) the ground floor will have retail. But I would hope that it would look attractive and not so...garage-like. But it'll be great to see vibrant life residing in a place that used to be deserted!

Archived