Providence Aerials

MikeycPVD

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda looks like one doesn't it.... Well I always heard Blue Cross was good to their employees...

What else I get from these is how puny and unimpressive the Westin looks as usual. It's such an unimpressive skyscraper considering its height, I hope the new tower is much more prominent.

MikeycPVD, great stuff!!! Shots from the air give such a different view of things... Thanks for contributing!

Look at the size of the Intercontinental hotel lot... It's pretty big! If it really is 15-17 stories, that is going to be one sizable structure...

What else I get from these is how puny and unimpressive the Westin looks as usual.  It's such an unimpressive skyscraper considering its height, I hope the new tower is much more prominent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, you're really anti-Westin :). I still like it a lot. I actually think, save the Superman building, it's Providence's best skyscraper (I know, there aren't a lot to choose from. Some of it being "puny" is the perspective...

On another note, wow, look at all the surface parking south and west of the financial district. It's sickening ugh....

Absolutely... I mean, look at it... That vacant space is virtually the same size as the existing CBD!! And people think Providence is built out... Not by a longshot...

I'm guessing some of the reason that space is vacant is that it is unappealing to be next to 195... Once the 195 area is free, that span of space, including that vacant space of parking, will be enormous... I can't wait for Brown, RISD, and J&W to rush in!

- Garris

I'm glad you guys enjoy the different perspectives. Since it was mentioned, the Westin does look a bit feeble from certain angles. I fly with a friend of mine from college and we alternate legs so I am either doing PVD outbounds or inbounds. So don't worry, some one is always flying the thing! I need to get one of you guys up there with your $1000 cameras to bump up the quality a bit. My HP digital just doesn't do justice :silly:. We went out to Hyannis yesterday but the haze turned the visibility into some garbage so photo ops were scrubbed. After Ophelia clears out this week, Sat/Sun looks promising!

I'm glad you guys enjoy the different perspectives.  Since it was mentioned, the Westin does look a bit feeble from certain angles.  I fly with a friend of mine from college and we alternate legs so I am either doing PVD outbounds or inbounds.  So don't worry, some one is always flying the thing!  I need to get one of you guys up there with your $1000 cameras to bump up the quality a bit.  My HP digital just doesn't do justice  :silly:.  We went out to Hyannis yesterday but the haze turned the visibility into some garbage so photo ops were scrubbed.  After Ophelia clears out this week, Sat/Sun looks promising!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live right under the 5 mile final flight path into runway 23L, maybe you could do a fly over and photograph the roof to my building. I need to know who those ghosts and goblins are that are scurrying about up there :w00t:

I'm glad you guys enjoy the different perspectives.  Since it was mentioned, the Westin does look a bit feeble from certain angles.  I fly with a friend of mine from college and we alternate legs so I am either doing PVD outbounds or inbounds.  So don't worry, some one is always flying the thing!  I need to get one of you guys up there with your $1000 cameras to bump up the quality a bit.  My HP digital just doesn't do justice  :silly:.  We went out to Hyannis yesterday but the haze turned the visibility into some garbage so photo ops were scrubbed.  After Ophelia clears out this week, Sat/Sun looks promising!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you taking requests!? I would really like to see an aerial shot over the current work progress going on at Rt 195.

Excellent photos! I'm liking all of these posts with pics from different vantage points.

It's true - there are gaps in the city-scape all over the place. It looks like missing teeth - too much surface parking. It's probably a logistical nightmare, but it would be nice to combine those lots into one or two parking structures and build the best lots.

The photos also show a ton of surface area on those roofs that can be used for greenery and other energy-saving measures. It should be put to good use. I wonder if any green-roof conversion bills have been introduced in Rhode Island.

Wow, you're really anti-Westin . I still like it a lot. I actually think, save the Superman building, it's Providence's best skyscraper (I know, there aren't a lot to choose from. Some of it being "puny" is the perspective...

I have to join Recchia on this one. I'm not so much anti-Westin, the building is fine (safe) I guess. I just think we missed an opportunity to make something spectacular.

Fantastic photos!

On the topic of the Westin, one point that I'd like to make is that its really nice looking from 95, and unfortunately lots of people only see Providence from 95 as they travel. So in that respect, at least it has that functionality.

I wouldn't say anti-Westin, its fine from street level and I like the architecture and all, its just that the building does not stand out at all in any skyline shots, I dont know what it is, if its too skinny or too far from the rest of the skyline, it just doesn't seem to register as a skyscraper when you look at the city. Anyone get what I'm sayin? Of course I have to agree, from 95, it looks pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool shot... You don't see many pictures of the metro from an East Side centric perspective...

- Garris

Thanks as always. I did notice that East side looks bigger than I always thought it to be. Traffic that day (5p) was surprisingly light over the Washington Bridge, but heavy as usual over the Providence River Bridge.

• 6 months later...

Finally able to not only fly this weekend, but get around the city in some good light with good visibility. I know it's very long-awaited. Hope you guys enjoy!

PVDPVC1.jpg

Picturing Waterplace as the centerpiece!

PVDPVC2.jpg

My copilot always needs a shot of his residence - Regency Plaza

PVDPVC3.jpg

Downtown from the reverse angle

PVDPVC4.jpg

Ummm, yeah we need to move that highway

PVDPVC6.jpg

Can you spot the pineapple arch?

PVDPVC7.jpg

Masonic Temple

PVDPVC8.jpg

Per Frankie's request

PVDPVC9.jpg

Wing spar kills it, but here's the Waterfront.

Archived