Spewing stereotypes...

TheGerbil

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or is that letter full of blatant stereotypes? It makes me wonder who this guy hangs out with. Sounds like he lives in a different Pittsburgh than I do. I mean, how many people here really still care about Donnie Iris? Maybe a few mullet-heads, but those folks are far from representative of the entire city.

How can the CP post this drivel? How many out-of-towners or newcomers will read this and take it to heart? It makes me angry.

My biggest question is, WHY does anyone write such a letter? What is the purpose? It's just mean and idiotic.

I didn't even read all of it. I couldn't, without getting ill. But what I did read was utterly ridiculous, the type of junk I hear from idiots who never leave Oakland and just parrot what others say about the city.

I'd write a reply, but I have done so in the past and it didn't make much difference. And I tend to be so mad that I can't compose the sort of reply I want to.

When will Pittsburgh-bashing stop being the trendy hobby? :(

Yes, thank you for putting it more articulately than my anger would allow me to :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forwarded the text of that letter to Jason Togyer at Tube City Almanac to get his reaction. He's a blogger in your area, and I know he'll have an eloquent response to Tony del Prete's mean-spirited garbage.

That is an excellent example of what forward thinking 'burghers have to deal with on a daily basis.

Why doesn't this guy pour all that energy and pathos into making a positive change in the area, local government is a PARTICIPATION sport here.

And besides the summer of 79 wasn't all that bad really ;) though the 21st century demands a different approach to things today. There are some pockets (as with any big metro) that are still "stuck in the 70's" but really when you think about it thats a point of pride, there are tons of people that would love to take a trip back, or to the 50s or to the 1800's with the largest collection of neo-gothic arcitecture and the largest collection of classical churches and temples, not to mention a bevy of 1900 and art deco architecture. Those should be points of diversity and pride. I don't want my city looking just like Monroeville Mall in every corner or Las Vegas or Houston, I want things here you have a hard time finding elsewhere. ;)

Another thought. After I posted that letter, I noticed the writer lives in Gibsonia. Seems like an awful lot of the Pittsburgh critics are suburbanites. I wonder when he last came into the city for a show or shopping, or to eat out? I wonder how many of his friends live in the city? I think I know the answers...

The crying shame of all this Gerbil is that Gibsonia SHOULD be part of the city, Brian O'Neil a few weeks back did his column on how behind the times Harrisburg is, he had one of his graphic design pals map at the paper map "Pittsburgh" in the same sq. mile box as Houston, Jacksonville, Miami-Dade, Phoenix, etc. In the column he stated he was shocked to find out that if we ran our metro like theres the city of Pittsburgh would stretch from Cannonsburg to Murraysville to Burgettstown and up to Cranberry--roughly speaking. Any other NON-1970s metro that the writer of that peice would live in would NEVER be stuck in the 70's or 30's or 1890's it would have gobbled up Gibsonia back in the Carter administration.

Archived