Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Waldonian

best midwest city nickname

Detroit was called "Paris of the Midwest" many many years ago. But its gotta be Detroit with either "Motown" or "the Motor City". Those nicknames are known throughout the world.

It's a tie between Chicago (Windy City) and Detroit (Motor City).

But then, I'd bet if you did a random survey most people would be able to identify the Motor City while some would have trouble identifying the Windy city.

heres just a few nicknames that came to my head:

Kansas City-

Cowtown!?

the Fountain City or Fountain City

also KAWSMOUTH

St. Louis-

Cave City

Columbia, MO-

COMO - allright, not real original...

Lawrence, KS -

LARRYTOWN!

Kansas City was also once known as Possum Trot. Thank God that one never stuck.

And Saint Paul was once known as Pig's Eye. Good grief. May as well call it Horse's Ass at that point.

If you surveyed me.. I'd know "The Gateway city" as Saint Louis

"The Windy City" as Chicago..

But "Motown"? I think of music, not Detroit. Although I would know where it was.

I'd have to say the best nickname is "The Windy City" as it has a cool origin.

I live in a small city/big town called Bemidji originating from the Ojibwe indians' "Baymayjeegamaug" meaning "Lake with crossing waters" You pronounce Bemidji "Buh-midge-ee".. not Bee-mee-jee like so many do.

We are known, however, as "The First City on the Mississippi" and we are sister cities with New Orleans, the last city on the river. (Well, not last.. but you get the point).

I would have to say that STL or "The Gateway City" is the best or most known nickname besides the "Windy City."

Grand Rapids "Furniture City" lol

ha... yeah, that hasn't really held true in a half-century or so. I think a better nickname for Grand Rapids would be something like AMWAY.

ha... yeah, that hasn't really held true in a half-century or so. I think a better nickname for Grand Rapids would be something like AMWAY.

How 'bout Steelcase and Herman Miller. They are still a big part of Grand Rapids. However, with all the health care and life sciences related developments sprouting up in GR, our fair city may one day be known as "Pill City"

Amway isn't even HQ'd in the City...

I was surprised someone earlier didn't know that Motown was Detroit. That was a great sound that came out of Detroit in the 60's, and you still hear it everywhere -- it defined an era and is timeless.

I'm from St. Louis, and I hear,

Gateway City, or Gateway to the West

Mound City (in the old days -- used to be a lot of Indian Burial Mounds)

Pain Court (Original name for the city.)

The Lou (from hometown rappers Nellie and Chingy)