• Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I live in a small city/big town called Bemidji originating from the Ojibwe indians' "Baymayjeegamaug" meaning "Lake with crossing waters" You pronounce Bemidji "Buh-midge-ee".. not Bee-mee-jee like so many do.

We are known, however, as "The First City on the Mississippi" and we are sister cities with New Orleans, the last city on the river. (Well, not last.. but you get the point).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ha... yeah, that hasn't really held true in a half-century or so. I think a better nickname for Grand Rapids would be something like AMWAY.

How 'bout Steelcase and Herman Miller. They are still a big part of Grand Rapids. However, with all the health care and life sciences related developments sprouting up in GR, our fair city may one day be known as "Pill City"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was surprised someone earlier didn't know that Motown was Detroit. That was a great sound that came out of Detroit in the 60's, and you still hear it everywhere -- it defined an era and is timeless.

I'm from St. Louis, and I hear,

Gateway City, or Gateway to the West

Mound City (in the old days -- used to be a lot of Indian Burial Mounds)

Pain Court (Original name for the city.)

The Lou (from hometown rappers Nellie and Chingy)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived