Greenville on TV Tonight

NYTransplant

I just got this in an email from Restaurant O:

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Good afternoon!

This is just a quick note to let you know that Greenville will be included in the "Best Main Streets" episode of the "Blue Ribbon" show on Turner South. Restaurant O will also be featured in the episode.

The show airs on the Turner South network tonight, Wednesday, September 14, at 10:30 pm. Tune in!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught this show tonight. It featured Columbus, MS; Greenville, SC; Dalonehga, GA; and Franklin, TN. I've gotta check out the place in back of Ragan's Market. I had no idea it was there! :thumbsup:

It was a great piece showcasing Greenville. There is, in my mind, no comparison between the four cities. Greenville is the best (and I've been to 2 of the other 3).

Seeing the part on Franklin, TN reminded me though...something I've intended to bring up a number of times. The one thing that Downtown Greenville is missing is a really top-notch Chocolatier. There's a cool one up in Asheville. I came across another really cool place in Fort Wayne, IN recently. There are a few on Market Street in Charleston. It'd be nice to have one downtown on Main Street here, too! :-)

I have bad news about the place in the back of Ragan's Market. The place was called Algorithm, and it was a great bar that was speakeasy-style (the owners didn't advertise it and you sort of had to know about it via word of mouth). I think the speakeasy idea - which I liked - was actually the problem. Not enough people knew about it. Even if you went into Ragan's to buy something, you never knew that the small curtain next to the counter went to a trendy bar rather than the back of the store.

I went a few times with a friend of mine, who knew the owners. I met one of the owners, and he was a great guy. Ragan's is actually closed now too - taking Algorithm with it. The owner of the building was going to increase the rent on the Ragan's Market/Algorithm owners, and they weren't going to be able to afford it. That is a shame, because it would have been a perfect place to have an Urban Planet get-together!

Anyway, the owners are thinking about trying something else in Greenville, but I'm not sure where or when that will be. I will certainly let you know if I hear about it.

That's a bummer about Ragan's. I had no idea it was closed. Algorithm certainly would have been a cool place for an U.P. Meetup. Had I only known it was there sooner... yet another missed opportunity to take in something unique :blink:

I hope they come up with something similar in concept again. Perhaps something along the lines of the the Safe House in Milwaukee would be really cool, if they could find the right location, get the needed capital to get it off the ground, and spread the word about it :ph34r:

Thanks for the update, though!

I have bad news about the place in the back of Ragan's Market.  The place was called Algorithm, and it was a great bar that was speakeasy-style (the owners didn't advertise it and you sort of had to know about it via word of mouth).  I think the speakeasy idea - which I liked - was actually the problem.  Not enough people knew about it.  Even if you went into Ragan's to buy something, you never knew that the small curtain next to the counter went to a trendy bar rather than the back of the store.

I went a few times with a friend of mine, who knew the owners.  I met one of the owners, and he was a great guy.  Ragan's is actually closed now too - taking Algorithm with it.  The owner of the building was going to increase the rent on the Ragan's Market/Algorithm owners, and they weren't going to be able to afford it.  That is a shame, because it would have been a perfect place to have an Urban Planet get-together!

Anyway, the owners are thinking about trying something else in Greenville, but I'm not sure where or when that will be.  I will certainly let you know if I hear about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I guess that is the reason why the Subway that is in that same building is moving. I saw a sign on one of the windows of the buildings at the corner of Main and Camperdown. Right across from River Place. I was wondering why they would want to leave that spot. But I was guessing they wanted to be where the action was.

Archived