NISSAN N.A. May Relocate HQ to Tennessee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a huge coup for Tennessee, and I assume Nashville. I thought the remark about the talent pool in Tennessee being shy of what exists in California. I bet you tell some of those guys they can buy a 5,000 sq ft, 5-bed, 6-bath brick house with a pool and acre or so for the same price they paid for their little two-bedroom, 1-bath shotgun on their .17 acre lot...some just may change their minds.

You're so right, nb, the "guns" need to jump on this with all the best feet forward.

I won't get excited till we land it. I really think we as a state and Nashville as a city are more than capable and deserving of the relocation, but what we are capable of and what we achieve are two different things. The state needs to be extremely proactive on this, however we'll have to wait and see how everything pans out in that regard.

Landing a large HQ like Nissan (NA) sure would be nice though.

That would be super for Tennessee.  You guys have your hands full, though, trying to win out over Texas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be great for TN, but you're right about TX.

TX has been siphoning off California companies for a decade or so. I believe the state even has some economic development (i.e., relocation) office in Los Angeles.

I have been sending positive thoughts to Nissan for a while now--maybe it worked. As Nissan has increased its presence in Smyrna over the years I have always wondered if they have always wondered about just moving the whole operation to the Nashville area.

--on a side note we have two sports venues waiting for a stable, national name to be attached--I like the sound of The Nissan Coliseum or The Nissan Center. Don't get me wrong, life w/o coroporate sponsorship is nice too--no corporate scams or bankruptcies--A simple 'The Coliseum' is a nice change from places like Qualcom Stadium in San Diego--a horrible name compared to what it used to be--Jack Murphy Stadium (the Murph).

I thought about that corporate naming thing too, southside. But, it would seem that since Nissan is wanting to save money, naming coliseums wouldn't seem to high on the list. I think naming rights go to places other than Nashville's wallets, so I don't give a rat's whether the arena or the Coliseum is named or not. Always seemed a bit silly to me, anyway. LOL, a Nissan Tower has a nice ring to it though. A nice, tall West End location would be on the sweet side too. Alex, are you listening? No doubt.

No matter what, no one involved on an intimate level, or possessing the power to sway the decision is talking, so all we can do is speculate. I'm with RK, I'll wait for the newspaper headline....or not.

Agreed Dave--A Nissan Tower does sound better than any of the naming rights stuff. Today's Tennessean article talking about rumors about mysterious would-be tenants makes me wonder if Nashville could be secretly negotiating w/anyone else.

Does anyone remember sometime in the last year when the city of Franklin released info that they were finalizing negotiations w/ a household name company to relocate its headquarters to Franklin? They said the anonymous company would not be revealed until late 05.

With family employed by Nissan, I am sending out the memos to get to the bottom of this!!!! Seriously though, I hope they bring it here. Downtown Nashville would be a great fit for the company IMOP. Yeah, it most likely go to Cool frickn' Springs (like everything else), but it is still good to hope eh??? My mother-in-law is a manager at the Smyrna plant, hopefully they have some other news to tell.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a couple of days ago that Nissan officially admitted it was looking at Nashville as a potential location for locating some or all of its HQ operations. Definately good news that the city is officially now in the running.

You are correct. Officals at the plant are tight lipped, probably cause they haven't the foggiest clue like the rest of us, about the whole thing. Even the employees were in the dark about it. Nissan has said that it was a leak at the HQ in California that tipped the LA Times off aobut it though.

You are correct. Officals at the plant are tight lipped, probably cause they haven't the foggiest clue like the rest of us, about the whole thing. Even the employees were in the dark about it. Nissan has said that it was a leak at the HQ in California that tipped the LA Times off aobut it though.

I think this one is very big for Nashville. I really am hoping Nashville gets it; and, like you Lexy, I hope it goes downtown. My big worry is that Dallas is in the running. I'm pretty sure that Dallas has non-stop air service to Tokyo. That may give Dallas an advantage, despite all the operations Nissan has in Tennessee.

I think this one is very big for Nashville. I really am hoping Nashville gets it; and, like you Lexy, I hope it goes downtown. My big worry is that Dallas is in the running. I'm pretty sure that Dallas has non-stop air service to Tokyo. That may give Dallas an advantage, despite all the operations Nissan has in Tennessee.

Nissan already has two jets and one hanger in Smyrna. Transportation is not a problem. Just last week the President of the University of Tokyo was at the plant in Smyrna.

Nissan already has two jets and one hanger in Smyrna. Transportation is not a problem. Just last week the President of the University of Tokyo was at the plant in Smyrna.

I didn't know that. Based on that, I can't think of a better location for Nissan North American headquarters than Nashville!

• 2 weeks later...

California seems to be fighting back over this move. Here is an article from the Tennessean today.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl.../510180342/1003

I am really not to worried about it. Nissan has its design center in California and one in Detroit. Manufacturing plants in Tennessee and Mississippi. It also has its Finance Division in Texas. Most of its operations are in "this" part of the country anyway.

The article mentioned that Governor Bredeson was in Tokyo this weekend meeting with Nissan officals. That is reassuring to me. Do I need to go down the list, Caremark, Louisiana Pacific, etc. etc. If this Gov. wants it, he will most likely get it. Has anything really stopped hime before? California's deal seems to be a little late in my honest opinion though. It must have just dawned on them that Nissan wants out.

I am really not to worried about it. Nissan has its design center in California and one in Detroit. Manufacturing plants in Tennessee and Mississippi. It also has its Finance Division in Texas. Most of its operations are in "this" part of the country anyway.

The article mentioned that Governor Bredeson was in Tokyo this weekend meeting with Nissan officals. That is reassuring to me. Do I need to go down the list, Caremark, Louisiana Pacific, etc. etc. If this Gov. wants it, he will most likely get it. Has anything really stopped hime before? California's deal seems to be a little late in my honest opinion though. It must have just dawned on them that Nissan wants out.

I hope your optimism proves correct. As the article said, sometimes companies change their minds due to the high cost. Moving a headquarters as large as Nissans could cost $100 Million. It will take a long time to get that cost back in savings, and it depends on what the financial gurus at the company decide after they crunch a mountain of numbers. Still, I like our odds and I agree that our Ace in the Hole is Bredesen. I don't think there's another Governor in the country with as much business savvy as he has.

I hope your optimism proves correct. As the article said, sometimes companies change their minds due to the high cost. Moving a headquarters as large as Nissans could cost $100 Million. It will take a long time to get that cost back in savings, and it depends on what the financial gurus at the company decide after they crunch a mountain of numbers. Still, I like our odds and I agree that our Ace in the Hole is Bredesen. I don't think there's another Governor in the country with as much business savvy as he has.

Hopefully, this wasn't just a way to get CA to make a good offer, but it sure seems like a carefully considered move.

Welcome to the site holmes_543!

I think Nissan is serious about looking at Middle Tennessee, it makes sense to be closer to their key manufacturing sites, than on the other side of the country. I think though, that if California offered a better deal as a result that would not be an unwelcomed develop for them.

Archived