Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOCOM

I was doing my monthly search on Corbis.com and came across this beautiful 1984 Nathan Benn photo of Hartford. It's interesting to note how lonely Cityplace looks with the absence of the Goodwin Square tower.

Hartford 1984

But the question that I have is: where was this photo taken from? It was obviously taken from above street level, I'm guessing somewhere in Trinity College?

I'm going to guess that picture was taken from the top of the old age home on the east corner of Broad and Capitol. In the lower left, that looks like the top of the church on Capitol Ave across from the Armory that just got its steeple a few years ago.

That's definatly not Trin, I know the views (I live here) and the capitol would be to the left of City Place, not the right (also from Trin the tree line is up to the dome on the capitol).

That church would be to the right, not the left of the picture if taken from that building on Broad Street. Is there a building on Oak Street that it could have been taken from?

I don't think it would be to the right. The old age home starts on Broad and continues down toward Russ St. It would seem if you were standing on the roof on the Russ St end facing downtown, the church would be to your left.

Luca is right. The photo is taken from Capitol Towers, the "old age home." The church in the bottom left is Emanuel Lutheran Curch which owns Capitol Towers and which now has a much taller steeple.

I've never been to Hartford or anything but I was wondering if you guys could tell me what that building is/was used for that's in the front of that picture.  It looks really neat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be the Capitol..... the best looking Capitol in the country, if you ask me....

That would be the Capitol.....  the best looking Capitol in the country, if you ask me....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Capitol's in the rest of the country, that is outside of the northeast, are nowhere near as interesting and neat as the ones here. Nothing can beat the capitol buildings of Connecticutt, Mass., RI and especially New York.

I agree and these capital buildings are not just placed among other buildings so there beauty can be seen but the capital in CT sits on top of Bushnell Park and the capital in RI is surrounded by green grass and trees and is not in the middle of skyscrapers.