StarMetro

Florida

From WCTV6 News:

StarMetro to Get New Buses

Ilyssa Trussel

Some Tallahassee commuters may soon notice changes on the road.

Congressman Allen Boyd is voting in favor of adding new buses to the city's mass transit system, StarMetro.

Riders say they're glad it's expanding.

"The buses are quite crowded. They do need more and I am quite excited that they are getting new buses because they do arrive late and it

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ms. Favors: Keep Dial-A-Ride

Citing small savings ($13,000) and the possibility of over 13 city employees loosing ther jobs City Manager has asked the City commission to consider keeping StarMetro as the service provider of Dial-A-Ride and not to privitize it.

Her suggesstions were applauded by those in attendance at the meeting.

Read the Article Here from the Tallahassee Democrat

StarMetro to Get New Buses

Ilyssa Trussel

Some Tallahassee commuters may soon notice changes on the road.

Congressman Allen Boyd is voting in favor of adding new buses to the city's mass transit system, StarMetro.

Riders say they're glad it's expanding.

"The buses are quite crowded. They do need more and I am quite excited that they are getting new buses because they do arrive late and it

I like the idea of bargain hunting for our busses. We've got over 60 busses in our fleet I think, we purchased about 10 of them recently, and now these 3 which I hope will look like they are from 2006, so getting good deals on the replacements for the 1980s busses would be smart.

We don't need to try to do everything at once. I'd love to see a self supporting transit system soon, but I'm in no hurry... I do wish, however, they would reconsider the design on the busses.

• 2 weeks later...

StarMetro Celebrates Rosa Parks Today

Today all of Tallahassee can ride the buses for free all over the city. That's right! And if you make it to the C.K. Steele plaza this afternoon you can also have some cake, ice cream and a number of other refreshments in honor of the late Rosa Parks, who started us on the path to integrating our transit systems in America.

Rest those feet today!! Ride the bus!! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

How do you feel about these buses??? They should be able to work the corners on campus a little better, yes? I think they'll try these out and buy more, I've only seen two over there... but I think these are neat and they look like they get good fuel economy.

I felt like a criminal taking these pictures! LOL!

My guess is these buses seat 20.

I've been thinking the current look of the buses (the striping and logos used) lends itself more to a school high on academics which is good since that seems to be the focus of T.K.'s administration, however, these are buses and buses should be flashy and fun... give us a seminole head on the side of these buses, not small torches! The Garnet Route should have a garnet bus with a Seminole Head big on the side, and the Gold bus should be done the same. The renegade could have Renegade on the side of it, and the Tomahawk Could have Chief Osceola Carrying a Tomahawk... ya know... something that's gonna make people smile, something fun!

I agree TJ that the buses used for campus shuttles at FAM and FSU should be colorful, bright and promote school spirit. This also helps distinguish them from the regular city buses.

I've also thought that StarMetro buses should be smaller and then they should just run the routes more often in these smaller buses especially the routes from both campus areas to the the two big malls in town.

Living downtown, I use to ride the trolley all the time for free to get from one end of downtown to the other. I miss the trolley.

Those are some cute little buses! I'm still at a loss to what brand those are.......my searches on the Internet for them have been fruitless :blush:

While browsing on TV last night, I came across this little segment on StarMetro on Tallahassee Matters. It was nice to finally see Ron Garrison for the first time. He sounds like a good guy who's going to get stuff done.

I wonder if they've hired a new transit planner yet. I applied for that job, but it doesn't look like I'm getting it. I wish the person well and hope they do a good job.

On another note, I LOVE the trolly! I got to ride it the first time back in October when FSU had thier Finance & Administration picnic down at the Reservation, and the trolly was used as a shuttle between UCC and the Res. Fun little ride. Thomas Built makes a fine trolly! :D

This Morning I drove by City hall on my way to deliver mail to the capital, and It appears they are unveiling the new star metro paint job on the busses today!

There was a bus with a blue tarp covering the sides of the bus sitting outside with starmetro ballons tethered to nearby tables. I could see the starmetro design on the front and back of the bus :)

Too bad I didnt have a camera..... I have my cell cam but i thought taurean could post better pix... anyhow.. GO starmetro!

I didn't get a chance to see the buses in person yesterday, but I did catch the segment on the news about StarMetro. From what I could see the new busses look good. I'm a bit disappointed at the simplicity, but I can live with it knowing that we're advertising on our buses. I think that's one of the greatest things about the changes we've made with the bus system in 2005.

Very excited about the changes and I hope to be riding on an officially dressed StarMetro bus after the new year.

A study was done about 2 years ago, which held some interesting information. The more affluent, or as some like to call "main stream" ( I don't like that term, it makes it seem as if the poor are sub-stream, or inferior because they have less) people living in North Eastern Tallahassee and in the more privledged areas, would rather continue to support TalTran with their dollars, but not with their ridership. The conclusion was, "they love their cars". But I'm sure, if you gave "them" a light rail to ride down Thomasville Road into downtown, "they" would hop on that concept very quickly. Its not that "they" don't like the bus in my opinion, its just that they don't want to share transportation with those in a "lower" social class.

Its sad, but that's how the world works. These people's only bus riding experiences are probably on FSU Gameday, from the Civic Center to the Stadium with their buddies.

Those affluent folks know where to go. I'm sure those in a lower social class could care less if the rich folks ride with them, no sweat off their backs. "They love their cars" That's rich people's translation for "we don't want to get robbed while riding on Taltran with the underprivileged. Go somewhere with that <_<

Archived