StarMetro

Florida

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so damn happy that all this is taking place! :yahoo: As StarMetro as my only means of transportation, this means a lot. It's also going to do a lot of good for everyone, which is the most important thing.

I've noticed that StarMetro has a position open, for Transit Planner I. After thinking about it, I'm going to apply for the position. I doubt I'll get it, but I have nothing to lose. It's a good stepping stone for my career.

Had a long discussion with one of my classmates, who was at the commission meeting yesterday and worked on the Renaisance project at the DURP studio. While everything won't happen overnight, it will be good. The important thing is for StarMetro not to give citizens too high expectations, because if they don't happen, or do so slowly, people will lose faith. Instead, we need to proceed with what I call "cautious optimism".

I hope this is a turning point in Tally's future, and if it is indeed so, I'm highly priviledged to be part of it :D

I hope this is a turning point in Tally's future, and if it is indeed so, I'm highly priviledged to be part of it :D

These are the words I live by each and everyday... being apart of something that is shaping up to be very nice, priviledged!

I was at the city commission last night also... did your friend get to take any pictures or did he get the nice little gift bag they gave out to everyone? It was nice. They are even talking StarBucks service at the main terminal... which, I'd say would be setting the expectations WAY up there.... of course alot of the Capital project still need commission approval before they can move forward.

But he's absolutely right about them not setting expectations too high if they aren't sure they can meet them. But as the Director stated yesterday, the crew at StarMetro is 100% behind what is being proposed and will see this thing through. BTW... Tallahassee did a great job in hiring this guy.

^Good, it'll come in handy when you're about to get off of work and you don't know which way to go to avoid traffic. As far as the bus goes... it won't be yellow... at least not from the picture I saw... It'll be white, with a long arching reddish stripe along the side and the Tallahassee star at the end of it. The front of the bus has the StarMetro logo... I don't know why I haven't gotten the images online yet... I guess its because I don't have a scanner... but I did take pictures at the commission meeting... I'll just need to upload those FROM MY CELL PHONE (LOL, sorry!) as soon as I get home.

Does StarMetro have a slogan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of "catch the star".

We were discussing in class today the problem with TalTran is that they have routes that cover some parts of main arterials, but then leave them for neighborhood streets. It was concluded that this is the reason why ridership isn't so high......the riders are on the arterials, not in the neighborhoods, and the destinations that people want to go to are on the main arterials - strip malls, shops, etc.

Case in point - Route 16, which goes to Killearn and Village Square. For most of the ride, it doesn't go down Thomasville. It goes up Gadsden, mazes around some local streets, finds its way to Centerville, then drives a long stretch down Woodgate Way.....completetly residential (not to mention it has those ANNOYING traffic calming devices such as speed humps, narrow lanes in some places :angry: ), then finally up Thomasville. The route itself gets VERY few people during rush hours, and even less in off-peak times. Why? The route doesn't really go anywhere useful. It's only good for people destined to Village Square (as I was), since there's no other destinations along the way!

I completely understand what you mean by the loopy route system. I'd much prefer riding a bus that sticks strictly to the main fareway.

I'm actually planning on doing a project on TalTran soon for my MIS class... we've got to address some concerns with a system... I figure why not TalTran.

I think listening at the City Commission Meeting they do have a motto... but it escapes me right now... but I'm likin' the "Catch the Star".

That's mighty good jpl! Great work... looks like you've had your practice with this.

Thanks for sharing those.

im not diggin the starmetro design..... its kinda cheap looking, how they leave the busses white and put a little design on it... I like in other cities how the busses are painted orange and other colors. then have the design on top of it.

im not diggin the starmetro design..... its kinda cheap looking, how they leave the busses white and put a little design on it... I like in other cities how the busses are painted orange and other colors. then have the design on top of it.
Nor am I. I really like the logo, but there needs to be more to the buses than just the logo. In the scheme that TJ showed us, it looks like just slapping on the new StarMetro logo over the existing TalTran logo.

I'd like to see the costs of using the vinyl to beautify the buses. If it's marginal, I'd say let's invest in a whole new paint scheme. During the 90s, Metro-Dade Transit came up with a cool new paint scheme that replaced a relatively bland design, similar to TalTran's existing one. Buses don't just have to be functional, they can look good too!

That's mighty good jpl! Great work... looks like you've had your practice with this.

Thanks for sharing those.

Thanks TJ! I appreciate it. I'm very into buses, and I have a bunch of bus drawings at home that I work on. It was a pain in the neck to get the proportions right on the one I posted, since they're 35 foot, not the full size 40 footers. :P

Indeed I agree with you both on the bus designs... I'm holding onto the hope that the full-body ads will help to liven them up a little which is why I think they didn't waist much time designing some elaborate look. Once the ads are in place, we may even appreciate the simplicity.

Archived