Norfolk Schools and education

vdogg

Just for the record, I am African-American... and I do believe the responsibility falls on the parents when it comes down to education. It all starts at home. If you birthed them, you should be the one to instill the educational values in them. Whether you send your kids to public, private, or home school them yourself, if you don't push and encourage it "might" not happen. Culture does play a big part in it as well. Traditionally, African-American homes don't stress education enough (just go to school). I think more emphasis is placed on having a trade. Studies have shown that the Asian community considers education top priority... when was the last time you seen an asian kid flunk out of school (his parents would probably kill him or disown him). As a parent, how can you put your child's future in a stranger's hand. There's an interesting read called "No Excuses: Closing the racial gap in learning" by Abigail Thernstrom. The book goes into depth about this topic. I have 4 kids (ages 11, 10, 6, and 1) and they all go to private school. I prefer private over public because of the Christian environment, smaller classes, attention to detail, and less pressures (peer, social, economical, etc). Eventhough I pay good money for the teachers to instruct my children, its still my responsibility to re-inforce what they've learned and add more to it. :thumbsup:

Very well said! :thumbsup: My main concern is that we need to get away from African American because most blacks here are born here and I view that as a type of segregation. Maybe that my view. We need to be American not black, white, hispanic, and asian. Pushing that type of segregation only causes more problems. Make everyone feel American. In a dream world everything would be great. We will never get rid of racism from any side, so we have to deal with it the best at hand. Some how the black community needs to push for more family time and more parents interaction with their kids homework and school. This would be a win for Americans. I would like to send my kids to private school too but i just don't have the money right now. Br0guy I know your kids will be a great addition to society because you show interest and care about your children future!But this isn't just a black thing either, I see this in white households too! I still see some of the guys I grew up with and they have amounted to nothing but druggies cause their parents didn't care about their education. This is an American issue.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The recent grant has shown that Norfolk city schools have made progress!!! :yahoo:

There are divisons on racial lines, but most are chosen by those groups who wish to separate themselves.

I for one agree that everyone should be proud to be americans, but at the same time be proud of who we are individually.

One: This is awesome!! It's really bringing Hampton Roads into the 21st century and is a huge boon to NSU and the City of Norfolk.

Two: Dr. Adebisi Oladipupo IS SO TOTALLY MY FRIEND'S DAD!!!! lol. (my friend's name is Ayo, she's awesome, and funny, and cool and moved to Chesapeake. I'm done gloating about how cool my friends are now).

One: This is awesome!! It's really bringing Hampton Roads into the 21st century and is a huge boon to NSU and the City of Norfolk.

Two: Dr. Adebisi Oladipupo IS SO TOTALLY MY FRIEND'S DAD!!!! lol. (my friend's name is Ayo, she's awesome, and funny, and cool and moved to Chesapeake. I'm done gloating about how cool my friends are now).

I'm getting greedy and I want ODU to step up their Engineering program up and I hope one day they double the school size! :whistling:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What an absolutely excellent article. It's ashame how you seem to get the most in depth and insightlful reporting from the free newspapers vice other, shall remain nameless, entities. I agreed with every point in that story.

Just another slant on this (devil's advocate):

I expect Port Folio to cover this issue in the manner that it has here. It is always so easy to harp on our lack of regionalism and apparant weak economic development strategies when these things happen, but it sure helps to have the nation's largest banking center in your back yard. Reporting that steers the reader to a subjective conclusion without more conclusive evidence doesn't help us.

Maybe our guys ran the numbers and they didn't work out as well, or perhaps it was a done deal from the start. Again, our over-dependence on military employment is a consideration, but remember that it gives us relatively stable jobs that we would probably not have otherwise. It's Ford and Johnson & Wales that are deserting us, not the Navy. Our region has been actively trying to diversify our economy since before most of us were born.

It's terrible that this school is leaving, but maybe the $45 million and the capital expenses would be better spent on ODU/Norfolk State to develop something other than more low-paying service jobs?

I expect Port Folio to cover this issue in the manner that it has here. It is always so easy to harp on our lack of regionalism and apparant weak economic development strategies when these things happen, but it sure helps to have the nation's largest banking center in your back yard. Reporting that steers the reader to a subjective conclusion without more conclusive evidence doesn't help us.

True, but honestly we can't keep using this as an excuse. Everytime we lose yet another industry it's because "well someone has this or someone has that". We never truly take an in depth look at our regions failings and honestly try to correct them. Sure we pay lip service to it and maybe announce some half measure here or there but invariably in a few months time we are back to our old ways. We cannot just keep accepting the loss of our important institutions. We have to act now to keep what we have, and perhaps gain some more, instead of reacting when they're already packing their bags.

Maybe our guys ran the numbers and they didn't work out as well, or perhaps it was a done deal from the start. Again, our over-dependence on military employment is a consideration, but remember that it gives us relatively stable jobs that we would probably not have otherwise. It's Ford and Johnson & Wales that are deserting us, not the Navy. Our region has been actively trying to diversify our economy since before most of us were born.

I'm sure they ran the numbers, and perhaps that was an unfair charge on the portfolios part, but they do have a point. Our dependence on the military gives us relatively stable jobs now, but that's not the issue. In the very near future there will be significant reductions of military presence in our region and what then? Is the Navy deserting us, no, but I think in Va. Beach's case we have both outgrown eachother and it's time to start looking at other options before the inevitable occurs.

It's terrible that this school is leaving, but maybe the $45 million and the capital expenses would be better spent on ODU/Norfolk State to develop something other than more low-paying service jobs?

I do agree with this however. The TCC expansion of its culinary program is very promising and I hope everything pans out well. Unlike J & W we don't have to worry about offering TCC, or any of the other universities you mentioned incentives to stay. Perhaps developing our own program here (at least of the same quality as J & W's) would be a better option.

True, but honestly we can't keep using this as an excuse. Everytime we lose yet another industry it's because "well someone has this or someone has that". We never truly take an in depth look at our regions failings and honestly try to correct them. Sure we pay lip service to it and maybe announce some half measure here or there but invariably in a few months time we are back to our old ways. We cannot just keep accepting the loss of our important institutions. We have to act now to keep what we have, and perhaps gain some more, instead of reacting when they're already packing their bags.

I think that we do those things, just not always effectively. The competition is fierce, expensive, and not always rational. I agree with you but I think given the nature of the game, (economic development) that all the blame doesn't help beyond a certain point and that more evidence needed than was given in that article. Perhaps our regional economic development should be better subsidized by state and local entities and linked even more closely to our higher institutions. I don't have the answer, but I do know that the accusations far outnumber the realities, and that Port Folio tends to cover urban affairs from rather narrow perspectives. Give them credit for covering them, though.

I do agree with this however. The TCC expansion of its culinary program is very promising and I hope everything pans out well. Unlike J & W we don't have to worry about offering TCC, or any of the other universities you mentioned incentives to stay. Perhaps developing our own program here (at least of the same quality as J & W's) would be a better option.

"pans out" :D ?????

That's quite a comment you served up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This looks very promising. It will be replacing Johnson & Wales University in more ways than one.

Culinary Institute of Virginia

Norfolk.gov Press Release

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Well, I must throw in my two cents on this note (and hope not to get toooo far from the topic), as I am an undergrad student planning 2 professional degrees (MPP or MALD and JD). For my intended career I must have at least a master's and have proven my ability to work in a relevant office / internship environment(s) and have proven myself as a researcher and writer. Some day, far down the line, I hope to work as a public/international policy advisor to some entity within the government, while working at a university as a professor and writer. Whew... it's going to be a long journey.

You raise a valid point, Tel, that some careers simply don't require degrees. And I also agree that it should be based largely on an individual job candidate's ability, not how much money he or she has spent on education, or some name on a piece of paper.

That name on a piece of paper, though, tends to say something about the applicant, especially when you consider letters of recommendation from people at that 'name.' I will not say that college or especially CERTAIN colleges are worth more than having the experience in the job itself, but they show a level of work, effort, and ability. Surviving certain schools and their programs (biomedical engineering at Johns Hopkins, Economics at University of Chicago, etc.) and doing WELL there is showing of a person's POTENTIAL. Sometimes, however, some slip the through the cracks and graduate from great schools yet are dumb as bricks, or have no common sense whatsoever, but I think that's the exception to the rule.

Ultimately, whether or not college is 'worth it' is up to each and every individual person and their interests. I love the opportunity to take classes in classical langauges, economic theory, and ancient literature while getting more-practical training my future career and preparation for graduate school, which is virtually essential for my career goals. For me, college is certainly worth it... But, in 2008 dollars, I will probably go through almost $250,000 spending on my education (my 2 graduate degrees are virtually solely offered [within my interest field] at private schools... so $50,000+ / year.... yay....). Education is extremely important to me, ironically, because it wasn't for a long time. I barely got through high school, but the level of freedom and charge over my own interests at CNU have really made me enjoy the experience in college and look forward to the next 5, 6, or 7 years and beyond.

/rant.

Archived