Mall of America

FSUViking9

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the Bass Pro Shop. You guys are finally caught up with Springfield, Missouri. They have had one for years. Also, please don't compare Gary and St. Louis. Both would crush Minneapolis.

In regards to what? Crime, unemployment rate, Fortune 500 companies, education, culture? Please explain troll because other than a national landmark, most would agree that the Minneapolis area has the higher ground over both St. Louis and Gary.

BTW, I could care less about the Bass Pro Shop. I'm actually surprised they didn't enter the market years ago being the TC area is located in the land of 10,000 lakes.

I'm only joking about the Bass Pro Shop. My joke was bait, and you guys bit. The Minneapolis attitude astounds me. I think it's a nice city, but when you guys make comparisons to Detroit, Gary, St. Louis, etc - you seem to think it's okay to downplay the success of other communities in favor of your own.

Downtown retail was dying for years before the MOA was built. In the 10 years prior to the MOA being built, Powers, JCPenny, Donaldsons, Woolworths, Young Quinlan had all closed up shop. It is directly related to the move to the suburbs --but no so much the MOA. Afterall, the biggest loser since the MOA arrived is Southdale.

it can be argued that the MOA as a tourist destination has meant fewer tourists to these other malls and fewer tourists downtown. But you also could argue that the mall actually is so large and unique that it attracts so many tourists that DT minneapolis benefits form the overall increase in tourism.

Also...

I used to work for the GAP in DT saint Paul. The problem with that mall had nothing to do with MOA. Even during the day at lunch that amll was dead. There is something about Saint Paul that seems to kill every business that tries to locate there.

I'm only joking about the Bass Pro Shop. My joke was bait, and you guys bit. The Minneapolis attitude astounds me. I think it's a nice city, but when you guys make comparisons to Detroit, Gary, St. Louis, etc - you seem to think it's okay to downplay the success of other communities in favor of your own.

Honestly, what city doen't do some of that?

LA thinks it is the "cool capital" of the world.

NYC thinks they are smarter and wiser than the rest of the county --and even the world. That's why they call the midwest fly over country.

When I lived in Chicago they honestly thought everyone payed attention to their politics and the news anchors would say "all eyes are on Chicago" but the truth is the rest of the country doesn't care.

Perhaps part of the issue is that the Twin cities has a larger native population than any other metro area --so you have very loyal population. And, maybe there is a reason that as adults, so many people come back to the twin cities to raise their families?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I think that Downtown has some great shopping. I believe that more will be added as condo project near completion and as more hotels are planned for the central core.

Not many people travel to downtown to do shopping mainly because all the malls in the twin cities have more to offer, but i belive that the residents of downtown really don't enjoy driving out to the malls. I think that in the next few year, as the population of downtown grows closer to 40,000 we will see more retail open up and more life on the streets.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Ghermezian family, owners of the MOA, announced today that Bass Pro Shops has signed on as one of its several new tenants in the mall's 5.6-million-square-foot expansion. They also announced that San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants will build an attached hotel and Gerstlauer will add a Euro-Fighter roller coaster to the Park at MOA. Construction on Phase II will begin in spring 2007.

The Ghermezian family has said that they want to add more upscale tenants so it will be interesting to see the new additions.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived