Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

Thanks for the images TwoShort, the SOHO store is one of the big boxes I was thinking of, although there is a new Home Depot somewhere in NYC that I think was two stories.

Although I would find it very difficult to believe that any kind of urban prototype would ever happen in Walker, a store similar to the Chicago store may have the most probability.

From the sounds of it, Walker is going to have to really step up to the plate to land Cabella's. According to someone in their building department, Cabella's is looking for the city of Walker to build them their very own exit ramp off of I-96. Not sure how steadfast they are on that demand, but it is one of the requirements currently on the table.

This quote reiterates the problem with putting a big box into an urban context. Nothing says "village" more than a highway off-ramp.

These big box stores, from Walmart to Target are not friendly urban typologies.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the sounds of it, Walker is going to have to really step up to the plate to land Cabella's. According to someone in their building department, Cabella's is looking for the city of Walker to build them their very own exit ramp off of I-96. Not sure how steadfast they are on that demand, but it is one of the requirements currently on the table.

the one off of walker ave wont work?

it would have to be expanded, but its not that far from the Cabella's location now.

Wood tv had a story about this last night on their 1100 news. It confirmed the talks with cabella's, as a possible major tenant but it also mentioned other smaller specialty stores like pottery barn and several others.

The entire development could be one million square feet. They also stated that they would have to replace the walker road overpass with a six lane bridge.

Boy, can anyone say retail overbuild? I know retail is the commercial hot spot right now in GR, but sheesh! With this "village" and the one on the Beltline, I don't see how they will both survive.

I would rather see the one on the beltline, the walker location seems too close to Rivertown C

The San Diego Ikea is in a sort-of mixed use development. There are Apartments/Condos nearby, and it seemed to be fairly pedestrian friendly. The Ikea was in a strip-mall like building, it was a much, much smaller building than the Chicago store that I frequent. It the size reminded me of a 2 storied Target. The parking was similar to a Target as well. This could be very do-able in a suburban environment.

Picts form the development:

Fenton MarketPlace

I would rather see the one on the beltline, the walker location seems too close to Rivertown C

Plus I think it would be easier to get in and out of something located on the Beltline. I hate driving down Alpine.

These big box stores, from Walmart to Target are not friendly urban typologies.

Unfortunately, the problem is that as long as these stores keep making money and are successful with their current setups in suburban areas, they're never going to change. There's no financial motivation to change.

In terms of closeness, This development isnt nearly as close to Rivertown, as the village on the Beltline would be to Woodland.

That being said, theres nothing thats going to stop this development, theres already been the demolition of some houses there, and tree clearing is beginning soon.

I think a freeway exit specifically for developement would itself be overkill. Repositioning the infrastructure to handle the influx of traffic, should be more than enough, as long as it was planned right. A speculative thought on my part, do you think perhaps that if this developement goes thru to fruition, that maybe it would turn Walker Ave, into prime retail real estate. Maybe meijer, would end up selling their land and move..... say ... downtown perhaps? I know I know, but I always say dream big.

I think a freeway exit specifically for developement would itself be overkill. Repositioning the infrastructure to handle the influx of traffic, should be more than enough, as long as it was planned right. A speculative thought on my part, do you think perhaps that if this developement goes thru to fruition, that maybe it would turn Walker Ave, into prime retail real estate. Maybe meijer, would end up selling their land and move..... say ... downtown perhaps? I know I know, but I always say dream big.

Walker is already being developed near that corner, and most of the land has been sold to development, although anything further east wouldn't likely happen. Unless Meijer wants to move their distribution center from that corner (It would take something on the scale of a mall to do that I suppose)

In terms of closeness, This development isnt nearly as close to Rivertown, as the village on the Beltline would be to Woodland.

That being said, theres nothing thats going to stop this development, theres already been the demolition of some houses there, and tree clearing is beginning soon.

Actually something has already began being built back there. I can't tell what it is, yet, its just all cement, but it's back behind some church.

Also, I think I remember reading something (in the paper maybe?) that they were going to be building an office park back there, along I-96?? Anybody remember hearing about this?

Actually something has already began being built back there. I can't tell what it is, yet, its just all cement, but it's back behind some church.

Also, I think I remember reading something (in the paper maybe?) that they were going to be building an office park back there, along I-96?? Anybody remember hearing about this?

I think thats where the office park/surgical center is going to be.

The Walker Planning Commission also ok'd the site plan for a Culver's Restuarant on the North side of the entrance to the Surgical Center. The City of Walker has a basic concept of "Walker Village" on their site that shows entrances also on Four Mile near Baumhoff and on Bristol North of I-96 with a mix of retail and office partially surrounded by housing along Four Mile. I don't know if that was posted before or after they started talking about Cabella's so that may change. Maybe a diehard redneck would like to walk out his house and hop in his golf cart to drive across the parking lot to Cabella's, but other than that I can't image anyone wanting a tourist attraction in their back yard(or cousin Jim Bob and the twelve kids dropping in to visit for a month).

Also, after the MDOT meeting about the I-96/Walker Avenue project they said that Ikea was just an example for that article and nothing more.

Over the past month they have been tearing down houses along Four Mile and Walker Ave. I've also noticed survey crews on Four Mile between Bristol and Hendershot almost daily for a couple weeks.

I didn't think they were anywhere near the point of breaking ground. Did I miss something?

There's a new story about this at woodtv.com.

New details in proposed Walker development project

(Walker, March 6, 2006, 1:20 p.m.) The developer of a large proposed project in Walker has taken another step in the plan.

This comes two weeks after 24 Hour News 8 first reported the developer, Walker Orchard Land Partners, is hoping to lure a Cabela's store to the project.

The area in question is Walker Avenue between Four Mile Road and I-96.

City leaders confirm that a rezoning application was filed on Friday.

Walker Orchard Land Partners is proposing a village-type complex that would include residences, retail space and entertainment.

Officials with the proposal are looking at major retailers like Cabela's to anchor the development.

The rezoning application for the plan will be discussed at a public hearing on March 29.

There's a new story about this at woodtv.com.

The rezoning application has been done in concert with changes to the Walker long range planning process.

The developer has been in constant contact with the city on this and this should be a slamdunk from the standpoint of rezoning.

Cabelas may be a stretch at this point. I'm not sure it would fit the developers concept that well.

The Business Journal states that the developer is working very closely with Cabela's, and is looking to model this development after a similar one they did in Woodlands, Texas:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...+For+Walker.htm

The project includes some big name developers like Trademark Property of Fort Worth,

and Urban Retail Properties of Chicago. With names like that, getting Cabela's is probably just a formality at this point.

Archived