Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that Cabela's usually gets 4-6 million worth of incentives. I still can't believe Cabela's is the number one tourist attraction in Michigan... :blink:

They get about 6 million visitors a year. Actually, in comparison, Rivertown Crossings attracted about 14.5 million visitors its first year open, so I don't know how they classify "tourist attractions".

They get about 6 million visitors a year. Actually, in comparison, Rivertown Crossings attracted about 14.5 million visitors its first year open, so I don't know how they classify "tourist attractions".

Where did this number come from? I'm having a hard time believing it....

Where did this number come from? I'm having a hard time believing it....

I remember it specifically because we lived in the Hudsonville/Georgetown Township area when the mall was under construction and opened in 1999. This was not "unique visitors", this was foot traffic walking through the door.

Ah, here's a reference:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:8wBtB...us&ct=clnk&cd=6

I've always wondered how Cabella's can claim their the number on Tourist attraction. You can't tell me more people visit a store than visit Lake Michigan, for example. Maybe more visit Cabella's than visit one single city or beach on the lakeshore but as a whole I'm sure more people visit the lake than a store.

I've always wondered how Cabella's can claim their the number on Tourist attraction. You can't tell me more people visit a store than visit Lake Michigan, for example. Maybe more visit Cabella's than visit one single city or beach on the lakeshore but as a whole I'm sure more people visit the lake than a store.

I'm sure that press release comes straight from the Cabela's Corporate HQ :rofl:

I would rather have an Ikea there...or in the new mall thing on beltline if it ever gets built...I email Ikea constantly to tell them to PLEASE put a store in GR and I have received responses saying that they are interested and have been browsing the GR market. So who knows?

I would rather have an Ikea there...or in the new mall thing on beltline if it ever gets built...I email Ikea constantly to tell them to PLEASE put a store in GR and I have received responses saying that they are interested and have been browsing the GR market. So who knows?

What is the risk of Cabela's doing a Krispy Kreme, or Planet Hollywood, and over-developing, over-expanding, and essentially hurting their own market share?

My concern is that it'll just become another big-box store, when they put one in every city, rather than the destination it is now.

What is the risk of Cabela's doing a Krispy Kreme, or Planet Hollywood, and over-developing, over-expanding, and essentially hurting their own market share?

My concern is that it'll just become another big-box store, when they put one in every city, rather than the destination it is now.

I think Cabellas is on the verge of doing just that, where it turns into just another store.

If they dont curtail it now, it will turn into a Krispy Creme/Planet Hollywood.

Your lucky you got a comment. Hell, whenever I ask if a company has plans of expanding in the Grand Rapids market all I get is some silly paragraph about The Company. Its always so vauge, because they have no idea who is on the other end asking the question.

These are all points i have brought up earlier.

I also have a very hard time believing that the Cabellas in Dundee is the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan. I want to know what their basis of comparison is. What does a retail establishment do to become a tourist attraction? Because if that were all it took, then Birch Run, Rivertown Crossings, and The Sommerset collection in Troy, would be heavily traveled tourist spots. Hell, even a busy Meijer, gets more than 6 Million visitors a year.

These are all points i have brought up earlier.

I also have a very hard time believing that the Cabellas in Dundee is the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan. I want to know what their basis of comparison is. What does a retail establishment do to become a tourist attraction? Because if that were all it took, then Birch Run, Rivertown Crossings, and The Sommerset collection in Troy, would be heavily traveled tourist spots. Hell, even a busy Meijer, gets more than 6 Million visitors a year.

I've got to believe that there are a few gas stations that would fall in that catagory, also. By the way, love your signature line, dude. :thumbsup:

Isn't Dillards a southern state retailer on the same level as Macy's? I ask because the only place I have seen a dillards is in the south.

Pretty much. Very upscale, going by the original price tags on the Katrina Disposal store stuff (referring to the now-vacant Target on 28th St). All that product was from Dillard's.

I remember it specifically because we lived in the Hudsonville/Georgetown Township area when the mall was under construction and opened in 1999. This was not "unique visitors", this was foot traffic walking through the door.

Ah, here's a reference:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:8wBtB...us&ct=clnk&cd=6

I agree. To get a real number of "tourists" vs. "visitors" they would just have to ask for you zip code upon check out. Hey!, most stores already do that. If a patron lived more than X miles away, you might consider them a tourist automatically. If a local patron visited and participated in activities other than just shopping, they too could be considered a tourist.

Word is, that the Cabela's in SE Michigan draws something like 5 million visitors annually -- many of whom book hotels, stay overnight, visit local restaurants, visit other local attractions, etc. I know, I don't "get it" either! I find it difficult to understand the impact this single retailer might have on the city of Walker, but from what I've heard, they're a force to be reckoned with.

Although I've never been inside one (not a hunter), I hear their stores are more like an indoor hunting/fishing theme park than just a retail outlet. Plus they tend to draw "outlot" development such as hotels, chain restaurants, etc. Hopefully Walker city officials will have the fortitude to control it, making it an asset to the region and not just another mall.

Dundee was a sleepy exit on the interstate before Cabela's arrived. All the other hoo-ha followed. (I drove by last week. More hotels, fast food, chain restaurants [how can a national chain be "your neighborhood pub"???], more new construction, more for-sale signs for large parcels along the freeway. I did not take the exit and investigate further.)

Walker is already near a major metro area, and Dundee was not. IIRC most of the new stuff is not within the city limits of Dundee. Presumably the Walker planning dept has guidelines and requirements already in place.

Cabela's has a front entrance through which everyone walks, and presumably there's a ticker or counter of some sort.

Lake Michigan doesn't have a single entrance, and no one's counting bodies in attendance.

The PR mavens at Cabela's probably take the number provided and multiply by a factor. "You didn't count the children being carried in, and the family groups register as two people rather than five."

(yep, perfect place for a family outing.)

Anyone else notice the Cabella's insert in the Sunday paper? No one at the office remembers ever seeing THAT before. Or is it that we are just sensitized to it now?

There was at least one during the Retailers' Paradise month last year. (December)

I've been to the main Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska and that was pretty impressive compared to the one in Dundee. According to their website, they have a store as big as 250,000 showroom space. :blink:

I still don't know how much more traffic Alpine can handle... especially if they build all of the planned condos at the English Hills Country Club now that it has been closed.

The rep from Cabela's in the Press article said there WILL be a Cabela's in Grand Rapids, just working on the perfect site. My sources (I know, I know) say the Walker Development Cabela's is a done deal, just putting together the PR package.

Archived