Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

I'm on Four Mile between Fruitridge and Alpine several times a day. The traffic is light during the day, evenings, and weekends. But, during the morning and late afternoon it's almost impossible to make left turns out of anyplace along there.

Over the last five or six years it has gotten progressively worse.

Has anyone heard anything about improvements to Four Mile. Even if Walker is the main entrance I would guess there would be a lot of traffic between Alpine and Walker. People coming from the stores on Alpine and down from Sparta, Kent City, etc.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what type of stores usually occupy space around Cabela's? Cabela's has absolutely no appeal to me but I hope it brings in other stores that are not in the area.

Joe

Usually, Cabela's attracts the chain restaurant/chain motel outlot fillers (Applebees, Bob Evans, Country Inn).

Outside the Dundee store, there's a Whitman's Chocolate shop and (I think) a Harley store or something like that.

Usually, Cabela's attracts the chain restaurant/chain motel outlot fillers (Applebees, Bob Evans, Country Inn).

Outside the Dundee store, there's a Whitman's Chocolate shop and (I think) a Harley store or something like that.

:angry:

I generally hate those stores.

I really worry about the viability of a project like Cabela's in this area. It just doesn't seem to fit the area.

You guys should really check out this forum called UrbanPlanet. Most of the answers to your questions are contained in all the threads :rofl:

If you just go back up to earlier posts in this thread, it was stated that the developers on this project are looking to attract a Dillard's and Von Maur Deparment stores, amongst a bunch of other smaller stores. This project will total nearly 1.3 million square feet (same as Rivertown), but in "village" layout. :blink:

You guys should really check out this forum called UrbanPlanet. Most of the answers to your questions are contained in all the threads :rofl:

If you just go back up to earlier posts in this thread, it was stated that the developers on this project are looking to attract a Dillard's and Von Maur Deparment stores, amongst a bunch of other smaller stores. This project will total nearly 1.3 million square feet (same as Rivertown), but in "village" layout. :blink:

You're so gentle at that redirection thing....

I'll post this again for those without the patience to find it from the first time.

The Orchard Park development is being modelled on this one:

http://www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/

Specifically, note the visual tour:

http://www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/v...our/index.lasso

As far as venues for your typical strip mall, outlot suspects, I'd say this one's pretty darn nifty.

You're so gentle at that redirection thing....

I'll post this again for those without the patience to find it from the first time.

As far as venues for your typical strip mall, outlot suspects, I'd say this one's pretty darn nifty.

Sorry, I'm a little testy sometimes :blush:

The only difference is that the 1.3 million sf for orchard park will be retail/residential/office, where rivertown is just retail.

The only difference is that the 1.3 million sf for orchard park will be retail/residential/office, where rivertown is just retail.

I was just saying that it will be quite large, with one "tourist" retailer and two anchor departments stores, as well as numerous other small retailers like Pottery Barn, A&F, etc.. The residential townhomes will only be on 15 or 20 acres of the 238 acres.

Does anyone think they will possibly be adding lanes to I-96? I know they are planning on reconstructing it, but I never heard specifially if they were adding on, or just re-paving it. I think adding a lane or two in each direction will be good for all the tourist coming from up north (especially between 131 and Walker). Thoughts?

Does anyone think they will possibly be adding lanes to I-96? I know they are planning on reconstructing it, but I never heard specifially if they were adding on, or just re-paving it. I think adding a lane or two in each direction will be good for all the tourist coming from up north (especially between 131 and Walker). Thoughts?

Ive heard it might go 6 lanes (3 each direction) I'm not 100% sure on that though.

NBC nightly news did a piece on cabela's about the '04 election, and how Cabela's was a die-hard "red" zone, and politicians were starting to notice that. What i meant without getting to political is, highly-skilled individuals, theologians, professors, lawyers, etc, don't associate with "red" things. I'm not saying the area isn't red, but if project X is something that has to do with unfounded technology, or music moguls, don't you think that'll attract a more "blue" crowd?

Wrong thread for that, this is the Cabella's project in the reddest part of Walker.

NBC nightly news did a piece on cabela's about the '04 election, and how Cabela's was a die-hard "red" zone, and politicians were starting to notice that. What i meant without getting to political is, highly-skilled individuals, theologians, professors, lawyers, etc, don't associate with "red" things. I'm not saying the area isn't red, but if project X is something that has to do with unfounded technology, or music moguls, don't you think that'll attract a more "blue" crowd?

Sure, I'll grant you that most of Cabela's market is solid "red state" territory.

However, don't you think there are plenty of blue-collar hunters in Michigan?

I don't really understand how you think we're too progressive, liberal or urban for Cabela's. And I certainly don't have any problem with both Cabela's and an urban upscale development on the riverfront that attracts a "blue state" crowd.

I guess I really don't get your point.

Not too shabby. They've even got a Tom Otterness sculpture. :D

Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but what impact will this have on convention business? I would expect that many visiting conventioneers would love to spend an afternoon at a local Cabelas. Convention planners already shuttle guests out to Rivertown; would they set up a shuttle to Walker?

Forgive me if this has already been talked about, but what impact will this have on convention business? I would expect that many visiting conventioneers would love to spend an afternoon at a local Cabelas. Convention planners already shuttle guests out to Rivertown; would they set up a shuttle to Walker?

not that im trying to be rude, but that is not good for long term convention center vitality.

not that im trying to be rude, but that is not good for long term convention center vitality.

I agree that it's an embarrassment that visitors are shipped to the suburbs to do mall shopping. With time, of course, downtown will get its own retail outlets. Cabelas, however, cannot be brought downtown.

As already mentioned Cabelas stores are huge tourist attractions. Seems to me the convention center would want to capitalize on that.

I agree that it's an embarrassment that visitors are shipped to the suburbs to do mall shopping. With time, of course, downtown will get its own retail outlets. Cabelas, however, cannot be brought downtown.

As already mentioned Cabelas stores are huge tourist attractions. Seems to me the convention center would want to capitalize on that.

This is an idea that I am sure the CVB is already thinking about. It would be another thing for the bureau to sell to potential conventioneers.

Ive heard it might go 6 lanes (3 each direction) I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I was at the MDOT meeting, they are only resurfacing the highway. Walker Ave will have six lanes and the Westbound I-96 exit will have two left turn lanes. They are moving the Eastbound I-96 exit so it's directly across from the entrance to the Meijer gas station, McDonald's and hotels on the south side of the highway. He said they aren't putting up a light now, but the intersection will be set up so the can do it in th future without any roadwork.

MDOT is supposed to have a website up and running for this project any time now.

Why is this not a good thing for convention vitality? I've travelled extensively and have always taken short hop trips to suburban areas to see the sights/visit attractions. For example: Botanical gardens, zoos, sculpture parks, malls, and ski areas.

I would think that Cabellas would be a wonderful addition to the regional attraction offering here. JMO.

Trixie

Why is this not a good thing for convention vitality? I've travelled extensively and have always taken short hop trips to suburban areas to see the sights/visit attractions. For example: Botanical gardens, zoos, sculpture parks, malls, and ski areas.

I would think that Cabellas would be a wonderful addition to the regional attraction offering here. JMO.

Trixie

I agree Trixie. When they list off visitor attractions in 3 - 5 years to try and draw groups here, it will include Meijer Gardens, the lakeshore, Project X, the new John Ball Zoo (hopefully), Cabela's Village in Walker, etc..

I agree Trixie. When they list off visitor attractions in 3 - 5 years to try and draw groups here, it will include Meijer Gardens, the lakeshore, Project X, the new John Ball Zoo (hopefully), Cabela's Village in Walker, etc..

Ooooo, wouldn't a nice new spiffy JB Zoo be a wonderful thing? I would love to see what is in store for the future of that facility.

Trixie

Archived