The Grand Rapids Experience

GRGridGirl

Boston:

A few other places to try. Rose's on Reed's Lake, sit outside while the weather is still nice. Real Food Cafe, Eastern at Alger. Open for Breakfast and Lunch, great food, fab staff and the sweet Rosie who works there, got married during WWII and was too poor to buy a wdding dress, so she sewed one from leftover parachute material. A little more edgy, try Seven Seas Mexican restaurant on Kalamazoo at Adams. Park across the street. Authentic Mexican. Try the deep fried whole fish with garlic (ask for the head to be removed if you are squeemish). $9 here, would be $35 in any large city.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the maps, have seen them on various strategic selective sign posts dowtown, and like the way they have termed and grouped the various downtown regions.

Anyone aware of any published or on-line versions yet?  I would love to study them in a little more detail so I can guide myself and others a little better.  I'm a bit of a map freak and collect walking maps, guide maps, bike routes, nature trails, etc. continually anyway...

Printed or online version available yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here ya go publius ;) :

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?binobjid=1603

Rizzo, Weren't you the person a couple of years ago that volunteered to the city commission to run a information kiosk on Monroe Center?  With the kind of foot traffic that is currently happening down there, it would be great to have something like that down there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It that's true Rizzo, it sounds like you took a beating from Heartwell at the last City Commission meeting. I read in my hard copy of the press that he got a little testy and told the applicant for the kiosk "no means no", "go talk to the CAA (Convention Arena Authority). I heard they have about $12 Mil. left over from the expansion :thumbsup:

How cool is that on Sunday nights an average of 300 people (age range 21-40+) patron Billy's Lounge in Eastown for 80's Night. Eastown truly represents the night heartbeat for the Uptown area. Nightlife activities are instrumental in adding to the vibrancy of a district.

I see a day when stores stay open later (because we work during the day) and where future entrepreneurs open complimentary businesses to service those drawn to the area.

What type of services/places/events do you think would work in the central city?

I try to stay as upbeat as possible about Grand Rapids, but this one definitely falls under the 'worst of' category. The City has been unable to keep many park bathrooms open around the area this year because of poor budgeting, including the facilities at Aberdeen Park. Now a tennis tournament is going to be held there, and guess what, there's no place to go. The City's solution: approve a whopping $60 for ONE port-a-potty.

Here's the full article

I try to stay as upbeat as possible about Grand Rapids, but this one definitely falls under the 'worst of' category. The City has been unable to keep many park bathrooms open around the area this year because of poor budgeting, including the facilities at Aberdeen Park. Now a tennis tournament is going to be held there, and guess what, there's no place to go. The City's solution: approve a whopping $60 for ONE port-a-potty.

Here's the full article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is so sad and is really embarrassing. That park and its facilities were rebuilt just a few years ago. What is the big deal in opening the bathrooms there for a day or two? How much could it cost for a days worth of water and electricity at that one facility small bathroom facility? They obviously do not want to have that tournament held there again next year.

Archived