The St. Petersburg Times

FlaNatv

I wonder how Tampa Bay would be without the St. Pete times? Currently, it has a larger circulation than the Tampa Tribune. Would the region be more unified behind Tampa as the Metro centerpoint or would it make no difference? Would Tampa's downtown house more skyscrapers and more museums or not? Would the Tampa name be able to stand alone to represent the region or would we still need to add the Bay? For fairness, how would the region look like with a weak Tribune and all the TV studios in St Pete? As a note, I think it still sounds odd to hear an announcer say "the St Pete Times Forum", which is the main arena in downtown Tampa. How have these media outlets and especially, the SP Times helped to shape this metro?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how both of the pro-sports venues in Tampa are named for corporations headquartered in St. Pete. However, I also think that shows that maybe the area is beginning to function more as region than competing cities. I still think the "Tampa" name does have more recognition with or without saying "Bay", even with the St. Pete Times always cheering on its city. Sportscasters often say Tampa instead of Tampa Bay when referring to our teams. Retailers with locations in Tampa will tell you there's a store in your area, even if it is a 20 to 30 minute drive from your house in Pinellas. The main airport is in Tampa. The largest employment center for the region (Westshore) is in Tampa. Tampa is still very much the center of nightlife for the entire region.

Evem with the Times trumpeting St. Pete at every opportunity, to people outside the area, Tampa is the lead city, and many of them do refer to the entire area as "Tampa".

You Tampa Bay folks are lucky to live in one of the nation's last great newspaper towns. Outside of New York and Chicago, few places have two major dailies going head to head.

Daily circulation of the St Pete Times (331K) puts it as the 24th largest paper in the country. The Trib (212K) comes in around 49th. Those are 2003 stats, so things might have changed slightly. And that's daily circulation, not Sunday. Sunday numbers are always bigger, but daily circulation is a better indicator of a paper's true size. The Miami Herald (317K) ranks 26th in daily circ, but usually bests the Times on Sundays.

I think the Times is older and more established than the Trib, hence it's bigger. Plus, it has the reputation of being the newspaper of record for the state.

• 2 months later...

You Tampa Bay folks are lucky to live in one of the nation's last great newspaper towns. Outside of New York and Chicago, few places have two major dailies going head to head.

Daily circulation of the St Pete Times (331K) puts it as the 24th largest paper in the country. The Trib (212K) comes in around 49th. Those are 2003 stats, so things might have changed slightly. And that's daily circulation, not Sunday. Sunday numbers are always bigger, but daily circulation is a better indicator of a paper's true size. The Miami Herald (317K) ranks 26th in daily circ, but usually bests the Times on Sundays.

I think the Times is older and more established than the Trib, hence it's bigger. Plus, it has the reputation of being the newspaper of record for the state.

Also the St. Pete times is known for having outstanding writers. USF's St. Pete branch is considered outstanding and a great feeder program:

http://www1.stpt.usf.edu/journalism/

Ed

Archived