Athens, GA

Florida

I didn't plan on visiting Athens, it was one of those trips I was forced into. But the trip was an interesting experience.

DowntownAthens.jpg

Here is Athens as the plane flew over its downtown. I wasn't able to whip out my camera quick enough for a good shot. Sorry.

DSCF1556.jpg

Here is the Airport Control Tower... I noticed it had a big G on it... hmm?

DSCF1557.jpg

Here's the approach to the terminal from the plane.

DSCF1572.jpg

Here's a plaque on the outside of the front end of the terminal.

DSCF1563.jpg

Here's a view of the front end of the Airport terminal. It was kinda small, but it worked.

DSCF1558.jpg

Here's a police car that awaited the arrival of the President of the Univeristy of South Carolina.

DSCF1569.jpg

Here's the city bus... simply called, "The Bus".

DSCF1567.jpg

Here's Ol Glory and her companion GA Flag. Great job with that new flag!

DSCF1564.jpg

Here's the back of the Bulldog that guards to grounds of the Athens airport.

DSCF1577.jpg

Nothing better than watching two cats side by side.

DSCF1578.jpg

AWESOME LOOKIN BUSES!! Florida State Needs to do this!!

DSCF1579.jpg

For some reason, this pilot wants Michael Adams gone... who is Michael Adams?

DSCF1582.jpg

Georgia fans ride in style.

DSCF1585.jpg

Nice campus.

DSCF1586.jpg

Nice architecture.

DSCF1587.jpg

Nice Mertles.

DSCF1593.jpg

Nice Stadium.

DSCF1610.jpg

Nice Score Board...

Overall... a very plesant visit.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great shots! Athens is a nice town :) You should have documented the infamous arches, or arch... I'm not 100% sure of what thats all about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the entrance to the UGA campus...or at least the main one. It's so "sacred" to Bulldogs that only sophomores and upper classmen are supposed to walk through it. I think it was originally part of a bigger thing, but it's all that's left. Also, it's the same arch from the GA state seal:

See the resemblance?

10084781.jpg

state_seal160s.gif

Yeah thats it. There is some myth about it that is something like if you walk through it you won't graduate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course, this would pertain to freshmen only. If a freshman was caught in the older days, he would be "punished."

Sophomores and up can walk through guilt free.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't really call it liberal. In smaller cities, the issues are so personal and unique that you can't really put those sorts of labels. The only difference I notice between Oconee and Athens is that Oconee is a typical sprawing suburb with mostly white middle class whereas Athens is a denser city. Although it does have a belt of suburbs, there is a huge portion that is walkable. Athens is somewhere around 30% below the poverty line and the median income from a family is $40,000. Oconee is under 5% and a median income for a family of over $60,000.

So yes it is liberal in the sense that there are social services to deal with the fact that its not quite so well-to-do. Public transit and housing, etc. Either you that's too liberal or it is liberal in the sense that there is an embraced diversity.

But really, you Oconee Countians are still just jealous 'cause Watkinsville is so much lamer than Athens. They're still bitter... The reason Clarke is so small is because Oconee broke off so that they could have a county seat in Watkinsville. Athens became the county seat since it was larger, and they got jealous. Suck it up!

Edited by t7911

But really, you Oconee Countians are still just jealous 'cause Watkinsville is so much lamer than Athens. They're still bitter... The reason Clarke is so small is because Oconee broke off so that they could have a county seat in Watkinsville. Athens became the county seat since it was larger, and they got jealous. Suck it up!

I could really care less myself. I like Athens.

As an outsider who went to school at the University of Georgia, I'm with Iron. I could care less about the foolishness between Oconee County and Athens-Clarke County. Athens is a delightful place. It was very walkable for the services I needed and the transportation options offered between UGA and Athens transit were suitable for only driving home on the weekends. Of course you guys know that I drove everywhere I went, lol.

North Campus is my favorite part of UGA. I love the historic buildings were absolutely amazing. when I was there, the Art Museum was steps away from downtown in a building that was 200+ years old.....that's when I was there. Game weekends were traffic haites however. I lived at 15 Milledge Ct right off of Five Points (as a freshman I had to live in the dorms-Brumby Hall) and I could catch the North-South (or was it the East-West) bus by the graduate housing and be to town in about 15 mins. The mall was not the best....they had Belks as an anchor but with Atlanta being less than a hour away, you didn't have to worry about shopping during the week.

I love Athens and I love the Bulldawgs! Gooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dawgs, sic um woff woof woof!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I read that the Athens multimodal transportation center was recently completed, and it will eventually accommodate the commuter trains to Atlanta when it happens. Does anybody know anything else about this project?

Yeah I think its behind and down the hill from the Classic Center. But I dont know when it will be ready for trains.