Channelside Residents To Support New Project

bobliocatt

While recently opposing a 25 story/475 unit project on 12th Street by Novare Group, 50 citizens calling themselves the United Residents of Channelside will use a zoning hearing next week to show they are not against all new development, by endorsing an 8 story project byCobalt Development Group on Sept. 22.

The Cobalt development, located at 202 N. 11th Street, will include 280 units and 14,250st of retail with a design that wraps around the corner near Kennedy Blvd and Washington Street.

The group also won't oppose a planned 22 story/370 unit project by Ken Stoltenberg, called the Martin, because it is to the North of Kennedy Blvd.

http://tampatrib.com/News/MGB5XPRXLDE.html

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While recently opposing a 25 story/475 unit project on 12th Street by Novare Group, 50 citizens calling themselves the United Residents of Channelside will use a zoning hearing next week to show they are not against all new development, by endorsing an 8 story project byCobalt Development Group on Sept. 22.

The Cobalt development, located at 202 N. 11th Street, will include 280 units and 14,250st of retail with a design that wraps around the corner near Kennedy Blvd and Washington Street.

The group also won't oppose a planned 22 story/370 unit project by Ken Stoltenberg, called the Martin, because it is to the North of Kennedy Blvd.

http://tampatrib.com/News/MGB5XPRXLDE.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really need to express myself on this one!!!

These people need to buy a clue!! God knows they can afford it!!!

The two projects offered are just what Tampa needs. The Cobalt project is very cutsie... it will fit right into the neighborhood; however, the Martin (from my personal perspective) will be the ugliest building in Tampa, period! I've seen parking garages that have more style! The Martin is just plain nasty! Have you all seen it??? It's College Hill all over again in Tampa.

Quite honestly, if the residents are happy with that crap, so be it! The Intown/Novarre Group building was absolutely beautiful. And yes, Tampa would be lucky to have such a nice looking building! Whatever. . .

Jim knew that the residents would object to their project and that the worthless city council would kiss the NIMBY's collective (asses), so Intown didn't even bother fighting the NIMBYS on that project. Hell, they didn't even show up for the hearing last week. The truth is time is $$ and they didn't wish to waste their time any longer! If Tampa wishes to be a small-minded city, then so be it!

Take a look at Skypoint: it's a beautiful project AND when Novarre said they'de get it built as soon as possible, they meant it! The project is ahead of schedule; the avg. price is the cheapest among all of the 25 projects proposed. When they said that the support staff working for all of the employees with $$ should be treated with respect, they meant it! They don't mess around!!!! Check out the progress on Skypoint! It's impressive. . .

The bottom line is Tampa lost and the NIMBY's won! But they're a rich bunch of LOSERS!!! They don't want average people living next door to them; only the wealthy! Everone less is just trash. What a bunch of crap!

I won't spend a penny in Channelside. They haven't earned it.

just my opinion. . .

The bottom line is Tampa lost and the NIMBY's won!  But they're a rich bunch of LOSERS!!!  They don't want average people living next door to them; only the wealthy!  Everone less is just trash.  What a bunch of crap! 

I won't spend a penny in Channelside.  They haven't earned it.

just my opinion. . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why punish the businesses in Channelside just because you don't like the opinions of some of the area's residents?

Are you also boycotting Hyde Park and SoHo businesses because the Hyde Park homeowners' association is fighting the proposed hi-rise on Bayshore??

You should also note that not all Channelside residents were/are opposed to the Novare project. Many of us - like you - would like to see this get built, along with the proposed park and retail that would accompany it.

Why punish the businesses in Channelside just because you don't like the opinions of some of the area's residents?

Are you also boycotting Hyde Park and SoHo businesses because the Hyde Park homeowners' association is fighting the proposed hi-rise on Bayshore??

You should also note that not all Channelside residents were/are opposed to the Novare project. Many of us - like you - would like to see this get built, along with the proposed park and retail that would accompany it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. After reading my post again, I'm surprised how nasty it comes across. :blush: I know I had had a very difficult day, I just didn't realize how much I let it cloud my judgment.

Even though I'm frustrated with the outcome, I shouldn't take it out on everyone from Channelside. I realize that lumping everyone in the same category and calling them "losers" is juvenile and just plain silly.

I guess I can only hope that Tampa's future urban planning will allow for more diversity. I'd really like to see our city try harder to provide decent housing opportunities for those who currently have no chance to live in the area just because of their lower income status.

Thanks, Jose, for pointing out my lack of reasoning. :)

No harm no foul. I agree with you whole-heartedly regarding more diversification of housing, particularly in Downtown, Ybor and Channelside. I would like to see housing that would appeal to people of all ages and income levels, instead of targeting only those that can afford $300K + condos.

Unfortunately, if that's what is supported by the market, that's what the majority of developers will continue to propose and develop. I honestly don't know how much influence the city leaders have along these lines. I'm guessing there would have to be some tax incentives and/or allowances in order to make this more appealing for developers.

Archived