Mega-Sites Designated in West Tennessee!

Rural King

@jkl003 - So you are for the mega-site proposal it sounds like. Is that correct?

Yes, you are correct. I agree with what you said about the power and influence feeling threatened. That

is what has kept this area at a stand still for so long. It is the hard working citizens, allowing them

to maintain their status, who need to think twice about turning away from progress.

Sounds like you know the area well.

Fayette County could not help but get the spill coming over from Shelby County. Eventually they will

ease their way into Haywood County as well. We need to be prepared.

Most people in favor of the site do not respond for whatever reason. But I am tired of hearing all the

negative from a few, when I know there are many others that share my views.

The media sometimes just seems to exploit the negative side of things. I guess everyone has their

own agenda.

I am too young for the 'plantation' mindset and too old to seek publicity.

My family's income is made outside of Haywood County for reasons I have explained. I just hope

that the generations to come may be able to live and prosper in this area.

Sure some may get their rewards up front, but that happens all the time. We ALL know that.

In the long run it can be the average citizen who wins out.

We're not just talking about an automotive site here. You have to consider the business opportunities

that can spring up as a result. The possibilities are endless. I believe that anyone who is willing and

able will have an opportunity to advance themselves.

If our ancestors had not embraced progress, I would not be posting this message on my 'computer'.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definately agree. If the site ever gets approved and a car plant comes, the economic impact for Haywood County, and a good portion of West Tennessee, would be much more than just from the direct jobs that assembly plant and its potential support plants would create. The creation of thousands of high paying jobs would be a huge economic stimulus for the county and region, and lead to alot of economic expansion, esp. in commercial and residential areas, and far outweigh in the long term the any incentives given to the plant.

I too am a Haywood County land owner. For years I have watched as Haywood County has lost many

of its residents who were born and raised in this county. Why? A lack of decent paying jobs.

For years our county has refused to grow. Not only has this forced the "common" working person to

go outside Haywood County to find work, it has also kept businesses out that might offer a little

variety and competition into the area. This leads our citizens to other counties to find work and to buy

items for their everyday lives.

Who, you may ask, has been profitting all these years? Not the average citizen but a few

"big fish" in this little pond that I call home.

The thing about a little pond is, once the big fish have feasted on all the little fish, there is nothing left

to sustain the life that is left in the pond. It becomes stagnate and nothing can survive.

This is what is happening to our county. The 'good ole boy' network is, hopefully, coming to an end.

Maybe now some of us 'common' folks have a chance to live and make a decent living.

Progress will take place regardless. We can either embrace it or let is pass us by.

We can continue on our current path to nowhere or we can allow the generations to come a community

that they can grow and prosper in.

My fear is that we will loose our children and grandchildren to the progress that the county has fought

against for so many years. I do not look forward to not being able to see my grandchildren grow up

because families have moved away just to have a chance at a future.

Mayors will come and go. As well as other city and county elected officials.

We need to look at what is here and now and whether or not we will allow our county to grow for the generations to come.

Without progress, there is no future.

Haywood county, just as many if not most counties, has lost some of it's residents to opportunity. That is the way of the world - people grow up, choose their own paths and pursue their dreams and ambitions to fruition wherever this may lead them. I grew up in the house I live in now. It was my grandparents house. I love it here and would never leave unless I was made to. I make a decent living, I don't work in Haywood county, but I do trade and do most of my business in Brownsville. My money and my tax dollars are spent here. I work all over from Collierville to Tipton county and occasionally even out on the road but it's worth the drive to me to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and all the problems and people that go along with it. People live where they choose to live. As far as industry bringing variety and competition to the area, Brownsville has factories sitting idle now. They couldn't hang on to or even replace what they had. Why should I hand something that means more to me, something I watched my grandfather work hard for with his own hands, over to be destroyed by greed motivated power hungry politicians and corporate giants? The "good ol' boy" network, as you say goes all the way to the top of our government my friend. And it's not going to go away - the faces just change. Progress will happen regardless - that's for sure. But it should happen in such a way so as not to not disrupt the lives of those it's happening around. I am one of those "twenty or so people" that Rural King was referring to earlier. I am not against progress nor are any of my fellows, contrary to what those driving this thing would have the public believe. This is just one more instance of big government trying to push a few little guys aside to accomplish their ends. If there are so many people in favor of this thing happening, then let them step up, sign over their land and homes, get their check and move. Everyone who thinks that these auto plants come in and magically make everything alright should do a little more research on the track records of these foreign manufacturers with regard to hiring minorities and creating Long-Term employment. The urban sprawl created by such a site as this one locating here could just as likely prove devastating to many local residents as beneficial. Future generations will do just fine. They always have. Success is dependent upon the individual, not guaranteed by what's available to him or her. Haywood county will grow - that is inevitable, and as it should be. The citizenry should be allowed more involement on the front end of a project of this magnitude. If we the people continue to allow our government to sell us out to private enterprise at will, then the future of many will be put in jeopardy. Sorry friend but I just can't " take one for the team" this time.

Nissan in Smyrna, TN (Rutherford Co) and Saturn in Springhill, TN (Maury Co) are two examples in TN were auto plants have had a huge postive impact. Japanese companies have a great record of providing great employment across Tennessee.

Nissan just opened a very large plant in Canton, MS, which has a very large minority population, and from I have read and heard is working very hard to train and educate the local workforce to gain the skills needed to be productive high-payed workers within their plant, since many are lacking some of those skills coming in.

There are also prime examples of the great economic impact of auto plants in Georgetown, KY (Ford), Princeton, IN -just north of Evansville- (Toyota), Spartanburg, SC (BMW), Montogomery, AL (Hyundai), Bowling Green, KY (Cheverolet), and San Antonio, TX (Toyota).

These auto plants are sought after for a reason, they bring thousands of high paying jobs directly to a region, then produce thousands more via their economic impact.

I understand not wanting to give up land, but progress sometimes requires sacrifice from a few for the benefit of all. Kind of like with I-69, some folks are going to lose land due to it, but it will be a great benefit to the entire region economically once its completed. If the plant never comes then nothing changes and the land never needs to be optioned, which is a distinct possiblity since the Crockett Co. site is already approved and has direct imput 3 from three automakers and might be picked instead; but if the plant did come to the potential Haywood Co. site, the benefits would almost be unimaginable for the vast majority of the local population IMO.

Edit/Correction 11:20 PM: Ford is in Louisville, Toyota is in Georgetown. Thanks to Lexy for noticing my error.

Nissan in Smyrna, TN (Rutherford Co) and Saturn in Springhill, TN (Maury Co) are two examples in TN were auto plants have had a huge postive impact. Japanese companies have a great record of providing great employment across Tennessee.

Nissan just opened a very large plant in Canton, MS, which has a very large minority population, and from I have read and heard is working very hard to train and educate the local workforce to gain the skills needed to be productive high-payed workers within their plant, since many are lacking some of those skills coming in.

There are also prime examples of the great economic impact of auto plants in Georgetown, KY (Ford), Princeton, IN -just north of Evansville- (Toyota), Spartanburg, SC (BMW), Montogomery, AL (Hyundai), Bowling Green, KY (Cheverolet), and San Antonio, TX (Toyota).

These auto plants are sought after for a reason, they bring thousands of high paying jobs directly to a region, then produce thousands more via their economic impact.

I understand not wanting to give up land, but progress sometimes requires sacrifice from a few for the benefit of all. Kind of like with I-69, some folks are going to lose land due to it, but it will be a great benefit to the entire region economically once its completed. If the plant never comes then nothing changes and the land never needs to be optioned, which is a distinct possiblity since the Crockett Co. site is already approved and has direct imput 3 from three automakers and might be picked instead; but if the plant did come to the potential Haywood Co. site, the benefits would almost be unimaginable for the vast majority of the local population IMO.

Not to nit-pick but Ford is in Louisville and Toyota is in Georgetown. No biggie. GM is in Bowling Green.

I live on a 250 + acre farm in Haywood County near the proposed site. The farm goes back 4 generations in my family. I don't believe the government should force anyone to sell their land, but I don't believe a few people should stifle progress for the county and its residents. I think this plant could be an asset to the community by providing well paying jobs as well as upgrades to utilities and phone service in the area.

As for empty factory buildings in Brownsville, most were low paying labor positions. I know , I helped build them.

The present pay scale in Haywood County is barely enough to support a small family.

I myself found employment outside of the county years ago.

My grandfather worked very hard on the farm as well as many others. If approached to sell my farm

for a fair price in order for this area to prosper and grow, I would really have to consider how much

it would mean for my children and grandchildren in the future.

Not to nit-pick but Ford is in Louisville and Toyota is in Georgetown. No biggie. GM is in Bowling Green.

No problem, things need to be stated right. :D Thanks for correcting my oversight on the plants in Georgetown and Louisville. I think I did pretty good remembering them off the top of my head though.

I noticed too that I misspelled Chevrolet for the Corvette Plant in Bowling Green. LOL

There is a Toyota Plant in Georgetown as well as Princeton, IN eh, I didn't realize they had two so close. The one one in Princeton employs over 4,500 people and has seen Toyota invest nearly 2.6 billion dollars. The plant only opened in 1996, so thats quite impressive IMO. I looked that up, but could not find numbers on Georgetown readily. Thats alot of economic impact just from the main assembly plant, and thats is what is what could make a plant in West Tennessee so great.

@ Lexy - Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the benefits of Nissan to Smyrna? You would be a good source on the benefits of an assembly plant to an area.

@ HighCotton - I think you sum things up pretty well. I think thats how most folks would feel. It definately would be hard to sell a family farm (or part of it) and all the history that would go along with it. So I can understand people's reluctance to want to do so.

You are also right about alot of the jobs in Brownsville, they aren't exactly on the same level as those that will come with an auto assembly plant by any stretch of the imagination.

No problem, things need to be stated right. :D Thanks for correcting my oversight on the plants in Georgetown and Louisville. I think I did pretty good remembering them off the top of my head though.

I noticed too that I misspelled Chevrolet for the Corvette Plant in Bowling Green. LOL

There is a Toyota Plant in Georgetown as well as Princeton, IN eh, I didn't realize they had two so close. The one one in Princeton employs over 4,500 people and has seen Toyota invest nearly 2.6 billion dollars. The plant only opened in 1996, so thats quite impressive IMO. I looked that up, but could not find numbers on Georgetown readily. Thats alot of economic impact just from the main assembly plant, and thats is what is what could make a plant in West Tennessee so great.

@ Lexy - Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the benefits of Nissan to Smyrna? You would be a good source on the benefits of an assembly plant to an area.

@ HighCotton - I think you sum things up pretty well. I think thats how most folks would feel. It definately would be hard to sell a family farm (or part of it) and all the history that would go along with it. So I can understand people's reluctance to want to do so.

You are also right about alot of the jobs in Brownsville, they aren't exactly on the same level as those that will come with an auto assembly plant by any stretch of the imagination.

Rural King- I would be delighted to share some thoughts. Let me get back this afternoon or this evening with my comments though. Hopefully it will be a benefit to all who need to know.

ALRIGHT, here goes.

We have to start by talking about investments in the millions, approaching the billions i'm sure by now. Murfreesboro looks different each season it seems. The housing market is one of the best in the nation and the commerce is second to none. I would gander to say that Murfreesboro would be considerably bigger had Nashville been a little further away, but since it's not.......

Murfreesboro has been impacted in the twenty years Nissan has been here. Mianly in the residential sectors and commerce. But Smyrna has really been a benefactor of the Nissan boom. Tax credits to the city is considerable. Infrastructure is well maintained and the airport is more than sufficent now. Before it was just another US airfield that had a base closing on it. Residential growth in Smyrna and LaVergne has tripled threefold IMO. while commercial growth continues at an alarming rate. Just go down Sam Ridley Parkway if you want proof. Two years ago, it was nothing more than a road with empty fields on it. Now it is home to Lowes, Kroger, Publix, numerous restaurants including the metro's first Hickory Falls restaurant. The list goes on and on. Nissan single handedly put this part of Tennessee on the national radar with or without Nashville's help.

Indusrial growth has been substantial in Rutherford COunty. Especially in the wharehousing market. Interchange City is all I have to say thee. THE largest industrial park in Tennessee and one of the largest in the nation. Location, location, location my friend. When you have coffers full of Nissan money, you can attract other industry by the gigantic tax breaks you can offer. Not to mention that Nissan brought with them a number of suppliers to the couty like M-Tek, Yazaki, and Autrans just to name a few. 8,000 jobs at the plant and who knows how many all together with the plant and its related suppliers.

Don't even get me started talking about the various schools in the county. Lets just say they are outgrown by the time they are built. Which is usually one every year or two it seems.

Overall, Rutherford County leads the state in lowest unemployment and ranks up there in national rankings in unemployment, growth, and housing. This is all due to the Nissan plant and proximity to Nashville. Look at this place in five years and you'll probably have to take a second glance to make sure you are looking at the same area.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Haywood County site certified as megasite

July 7, 2006-Haywood County, Tennessee, announced today that a 1700-acre site in the county has been certified by McCallum Sweeney Consulting (MSC) of Greenville, S.C., as a megasite, or large industrial property suitable for a major automotive manufacturing facility or related industry.

The site, know as the I-40 Advantage Auto Park, is located just north of Interstate 40, 20 minutes east of the Memphis, Tennessee, suburbs. The site is easily accessible from Memphis, Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Jackson, and other West Tennessee cities. It is adjacent to U.S. Highway 70/79 and the CSX Railroad on the north.

Based on its expertise as a site selection consultant for the automotive industry, McCallum Sweeney Consulting (MSC) was commissioned by the Tennessee Valley Authority as an independent source to evaluate sites submitted by communities in TVA

YES!!!! I was hoping to see a site in Haywood County over Marion...simply because it is in/will be in the Memphis MSA AND will contribute to Tennessee rather than Arkansas. This will certainly contribute to an expanded Memphis MSA (i would think Haywood would be added in the next round of added counties to metro Memphis. I hope Toyota opens a plant at the site...it would add to the Japanese impact in the state!

YES!!!! I was hoping to see a site in Haywood County over Marion...simply because it is in/will be in the Memphis MSA AND will contribute to Tennessee rather than Arkansas. This will certainly contribute to an expanded Memphis MSA (i would think Haywood would be added in the next round of added counties to metro Memphis. I hope Toyota opens a plant at the site...it would add to the Japanese impact in the state!

How intresting would it be if Toyota put a plant there and relocated their N.A HQ to Southwind or the Mall of Memphis site like Nissan did in Nashville? What is this now, three mega sites in the Memphis area? One to the south in Tunica, one to the west in Marion, and now one to the northeast in Haywood? Thats the benefit to living in a tri-state area IMO. I'm kinda rooting for Marion for an autoplant though. The eastern part of Arkansas could really use some development. A plant in Haywood may just contribute to excessive sprawl east of Shelby County. Next thing ya know, we are in a CSA with Jackson :shok:

Yeah, the Marion site would have a greater impact on Downtown and the rest of the Memphis core.

The Haywood/Fayette one would be great for an area that has long been devoid of any growth or economic development. With Fayette's growth well south of the site and I-40, this will give the county and its cities the gateway it needs along I-40 rather than relying solely on U.S. 64. However, it will certainly add to sprawl, both from Memphis MSA and Jackson MSA, being in the middle of the two.

But either one would benefit Memphis; however, both sites landing a plant would even better. :D

This should greatly increase the chances of West TN landing an auto-manufacturing facility and thousands of direct and indirect jobs, as we now have two certified sites. This new one in Haywood-Fayette County, and of course the site in Crockett County which has already been announced to be on Toyota's list by Governor Bredesen.

The positive economic impact for West Tennessee if one....or both...of these sites are eventually picked for large scale industrial operations by automotive or other large industrial entities could be pretty staggering.

@jkl003 - Could you post a link to where that news clipping came from please. :D

But either one would benefit Memphis; however, both sites landing a plant would even better. :D

Don't you mean all three :) Do you guys think all three should be autoplants or should one be used for another industry? Do autoplants cause lots of pollution? I know Fords plant in Detroit does but don't remember seeing anything from the Saturn Plant in Smyrna. Maybe a polluting plant shouldn't be built in Tunica because of the tourist industry.

Don't you mean all three :) Do you guys think all three should be autoplants or should one be used for another industry? Do autoplants cause lots of pollution? I know Fords plant in Detroit does but don't remember seeing anything from the Saturn Plant in Smyrna. Maybe a polluting plant shouldn't be built in Tunica because of the tourist industry.

If you count Arkansas and Mississippi it's really four or five. Two in Tennessee, one in Marion, one by Tunica, and one by I think Tupelo. And I think some sites south of that as well.

If you count Arkansas and Mississippi it's really four or five. Two in Tennessee, one in Marion, one by Tunica, and one by I think Tupelo. And I think some sites south of that as well.

but for ones that would help the Memphis MSA, I think it's just three...unless Tupelo is brought into the MSA in a few years...

but for ones that would help the Memphis MSA, I think it's just three...unless Tupelo is brought into the MSA in a few years...

Even if Tupelo is not part of the MSA, it would help Memphis and the area because of spinoff industries and supply companies. It would also help increase traffic at the airport.

Tupelo in the Memphis metro area ? :blink:

It's equidistant from Birmingham and Memphis, around 110 or so miles, a wee bit too far to be in either metro area in the next several decades.

Tupelo in the Memphis metro area ? :blink:

It's equidistant from Birmingham and Memphis, around 110 or so miles, a wee bit too far to be in either metro area in the next several decades.

I had heard that either Tupelo or Oxford was bound to be a part of the Memphis MSA within the next few years...guess it was the latter.

I had heard that either Tupelo or Oxford was bound to be a part of the Memphis MSA within the next few years...guess it was the latter.

Although Oxford is closer, even it seems rather distant to end up in the Memphis MSA. It's not off the US 78 corridor, and appears more "isolated" with regards to road access from the existing MS counties in the MSA, Marshall & Tate. I would think the next county to be added in MS would be Panola, since it is off the I-55 corridor. Oxford/Lafayette County is already its own micropolitan statistical area.

Archived