Best Missouri downtowns

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WARRENSBURG, MO

heheh. j/k. i spent a lot of time down there when i went to cmsu, though....

i was born in st. louis, and now live in kansas city, so i feel removed from this kansas city vs st. louis thing. honestly, i havent been in downtown st. louis in a long time, except to the city museum a couple years ago.

maybe someone can post pictures of downtown stl, like washington ave, etc...

saint louis has the denser and older urban core, so honestly i probably would have to go with stl.

as far as the glass and steel is concerned, however, i think kansas city is getting better everyday, literally. being on a hill, downtown kansas city has great potential for projecting the aura of just being huge. i have these dreams of a glowing new art deco-esque powerhouse sitting on that hill.

of course theres a lot more to great downtowns though than just old buildings and glass and steel. its the people that live there and open businesses that make it livable...its the culture that people bring and develop...and so on. so alos, in this respect, i will say that kansas city is getting better all the time. but again, i dont have a good perspective on st. louis anymore. when i was a kid, downtown st. louis both awed and frightened me...

there are a lot of criteria by which you can judge a downtown, not just size. downtown columbia is somewhat vibrant...though one could argue that columbia is "cheating" because it has a large university in its center....but i don't know that you could successfully argue that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to sound like a politician, but I love a number of Missouri downtown districts. Of course, it's a given that Kansas City and St. Louis have to be included. I think St. Louis has more interesting architecture, more "monumental" buildings, but I think Kansas City is a prettier overall skyline and a safer place to visit. They're both great places -- and getting better. I can't wait to see the new Busch Stadium.

Another great, relatively large, downtown is Sedalia. I was blown away by how much it has been rehabbed in the last 5 to 10 years. It's on the Katy Trail, and definitely worth a trip.

As for other, smaller downtowns: Weston (north of KC) is a well-preserved early 19th century river town. Clinton (southeast of KC) has a great town square-type downtown. Liberty (suburban KC) has a neat town square with a Jesse James-robbed bank, but it could use a little more TLC. I agree that Lexington is a great (and improving) downtown. I hear St. Joseph (a fairly large town an hour north of KC) is really doing a lot of work on its downtown.

In mid-MO, Columbia, of course, is a great downtown. I believe they are finally -- thankfully -- removing the 1960s-ish canopies that obscure the original look of the historic buildings on Broadway. That street will be awesome when they restore the store fronts and businesses to their original appearances. I also hear nearby Fayette has a neat downtown.

A little further east, I was happily surprised to see little Montgomery City has restored its downtown, too.

Of course, Hermann and other "wine country" towns like Augusta are nice. I'm sure I'm leaving many out that deserve mention, but overall, Missouri is doing well by its dowtowns all over.

Another great, relatively large, downtown is Sedalia. I was blown away by how much it has been rehabbed in the last 5 to 10 years. It's on the Katy Trail, and definitely worth a trip.

I found some great picture of Sedalia online. Below is the link, there is a ton of them.

http://www.planetware.com/photo-list/missouri-usmo.htm

I was wondering what you guys thought were the best downtowns in Missouri.

hey everyone, Im from Springfield. Our downtown has done a total 180 since about 6 years ago. From the Jordan Valley Ice Park to Hammons Field to all the new lofts, restaurants and shops, Springfield's downtown is live and well. I can't believe how much has changed in the last couple of years. Yall really need to come check it out! (By the way I love Kansas City!)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
As far as St. Louis, I think the majority of people who live here get a bad view because approaching downtown, it starts sloping downhill, so all the buildings are dropping off. I know there are some areas that have better views, but in general, the skyline can only be experienced from across the river.

• 3 months later...

I moved to Springfield 4 years ago and the downtown looks totally different. There were quite a few abandoned buildings but there was some construction going on. Now you cannot find an abandoned building. The price for rents are going up, up, up which only means that the buildings will soon too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived