Ready for Winter

orulz

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for winter. I'm ready for it to be 15 degrees (f) outside. Winter is my favorite season. Unfortunately we don't have very many days of real cold (where the highs are below freezing) here in Raleigh, but I'll take what I get. There's just something about cold weather that I like. I really enjoy turning the heat down in my apartment, putting on a thick sweater and long johns, and sipping on hot cocoa. Relaxing, somehow.

That is all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winter is really close here now, in mid- Norway. The trees is still quite green, but the last 3 days has been cold with much rain and sleet, and its snowing down to 400m above the ocean, so the hills and mountains is already covered in beautifully white snow.

Its currently 1c (33f) outside my window now. We have showers of sleet, but shoer periods of clear sky between them. Its a nice northern light these days, though its a little weak yet. In the highlands and the mountains it has commed 30cm - 50cm snow only the last two days.

But we're expecting a few hot days from this week- end, with temperatures increasing to around 10c (50f) again. But i can't wait to see a good winter with 2-3m snow and temperatures as low as -4f to -22f. Luckly those cold periods only last a few day, if we even get some of them. We have the atlantic close so the temperature stay rather mild, its far, far colder inland away from the coast.

I'm currently in Salzburg, Austria (you know, the Sound of Music) until December 16th, and today has been quite chilly. It is currently 50 degrees with light rain and it is snowing in the mountains. I don't mind though, I like this kind of weather (after all, I'm from MInnesota... where winter engulfs us 7 months out of the year.)

At home, the trees are already well on their way to peak colors.. a bit earlier than usual thanks to dry conditions this summer.. but a good amount of rain lately has held some of the change off and has made it much more colorful. (I wish I was there.)

But yes! Bring on winter. I can't wait to bust out my skis and enjoy it.

I'm ready. Parking in Boston's urban core is hard enough before there are major restrictions due to snow removal. My secret: embrace urbanism and live car(e)free! And last winter I proudly managed to put together the right clothing so that I could go for walks and stay outside indefinitely in below-zero (F) weather. But until it gets very cold, much of the fall is ideal athletic weather, good for long bike rides.

I'm ready.  Parking in Boston's urban core is hard enough before there are major restrictions due to snow removal.  My secret: embrace urbanism and live car(e)free!  And last winter I proudly managed to put together the right clothing so that I could go for walks and stay outside indefinitely in below-zero (F) weather.  But until it gets very cold, much of the fall is ideal athletic weather, good for long bike rides.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

speaking of long bike rides, my girlfriend and i just got done biking around the fells. we had lots of fun. i am still not looking forward to our first big boston winter though. i definitely need to get the right winter clothing!

Winter down here is great!

Highs in the upper 60's Lows in the 50's

Winter only seems to last 4 months in SE Louisiana, but they are a great 4 months, a break from the heat. Winter's here are usually very mild and comforatable, but on occasion it does snow!

Here are some of alon504's pictures from Christmas Day last year in New Orleans;

whitechristmas7bi.jpg

uptownsnow3ek.jpg

Aah... Winter time in Orlando. The mercury drops all the way to 70 degrees.

Actually winter is usually from mid December to about the end of February. Daily highs will be from the 60's to high 70's with lows in the high 40's to low 60's. We'll get one or two cold snaps that usually last two or three days and the temps will get into the 20's at night and the 40's during the day. It's those couple of cold snaps each year that keeps this area semi- tropical instead of tropical. It's cold enough to kill any truely tropical plants.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I really want winter back . . . home heating prices (natural gas/coal/heating oil) is already up 65% year over year. If we have sticker shock with gasoline prices at the pump right now just wait till the gas or power bills come in this winter.

Don't want to be a downer here but there are many families out there that will go broke paying for heat this winter :(.

Time to get off the grid if you ask me, stop being petrol addicts.

Just my two cents, can't wait for those cool crisp evenings with a fire and watching the snow fall though ;).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Around New Orleans it's gone from record cold temperatures to record warm temperatures. It literally changes every week.

Today we had far above normal heat with temps. in the high 80's, and on Thursday we will have far below normal cold with temperatures in the low 30's and the wind chill will make it seem like its in the high teens to low 20's.:silly:

Well, Old Man winter scrounged up some energy and took a dive from his icy palace in the north right onto the upper midwest!

Current temperatures in my city are 10*F and falling with a 40mph wind, making it feel like -20*F. Ugh And tomorrow morning, it will be below 0 after about 4 inches of snow. IN other words, typical for Minnesota in November :)

Unfortunately, I'm not in Minnesota. IN salzburg, the weather has been quite pleasant lately, but is turning much colder as I speak (funny how both places go at once)... it's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow, and for the next few days.. so I'm excited. Maybe we'll get some good snow to do some fun winter things in. BRING IT ON!

Archived